User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
skymtb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Jesse Rack/mounting questions

I picked up a used set of Jesse Odyssey bags yesterday, but no rack/mounts. They are for my 1100GS, and that's what they had been on. I tried calling Jesse today to see if theses mounts are still available, but unfortunately closed on Fridays. I have also posted an ad in the flea market section.

My question is, if these racks are no longer available, and I cannot find a used one, has anyone ever mounted these bags to another companies rack? If you have was it a success?

My other idea is to try to get a tracing of the mounts and fabricate something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
roadrage
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
It would be nice to get an answer as to whether you can retrofit the new jesse quick release mounting system to the older bags. The new generation clamping mount set up is really very nice. I have the standard odyssey bag mounts (like you need). I have my doubts, but think it would be really great if possible.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
skymtb OP
Adventurer

The new style mounts look nice and the idea of adjusting the fore/aft placement would be great. It will definitely be a question I ask when I call on Monday.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
It would be nice to get an answer as to whether you can retrofit the new jesse quick release mounting system to the older bags.
I rather doubt that would be possible, since the new mounts are much lower in the box than the previous design, where the mounting hardware is right at the top.

To answer the OPs other question... Jesse boxes come in various shapes for various bikes, but one common feature is a cutout to go around a muffler, so that the bags can fit closer to the bike, making the overall package narrower.

Every other manufacturer's mounts that I am aware of are flat, and I doubt they'd mate to the Jesse box.

Al Jesse will most likely have mounts for the 1100 GS, though.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
skymtb OP
Adventurer

Well the flea market came through on a rack, although not in great shape, it will give me a start. Does anyone have instructions for installation of these old racks?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
roadrage
Studly Adventurer

I looked for the mounting instructions but can't find them. They used to be on Jesse website.

Regarding the newer mounts. Certainly getting the new design to fit would be a challenge and likely require drilling several new holes, but the thought is appealing. Especially If there's a way to move the older bags to a newer bike. Then again it'd be an excuse to get the updated bag too... for a big price however...

I think the Odysseys on my GS are by far my all time favorite add on, hands down. They never let me down and they very capably carry more stuff than any motorcyclist should consider carrying. I even forgive them when they try and break my leg on occasion.... I could never go back to a clamshell bag.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
I looked for the mounting instructions but can't find them. They used to be on Jesse website.

Regarding the newer mounts. Certainly getting the new design to fit would be a challenge and likely require drilling several new holes, but the thought is appealing. Especially If there's a way to move the older bags to a newer bike. Then again it'd be an excuse to get the updated bag too... for a big price however...

I think the Odysseys on my GS are by far my all time favorite add on, hands down. They never let me down and they very capably carry more stuff than any motorcyclist should consider carrying. I even forgive them when they try and break my leg on occasion.... I could never go back to a clamshell bag.
It is possible, IF you have the bag and bike mounts. If you want the PDF instructions send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you whatever set or sets you want.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
skymtb OP
Adventurer

The great people at Jesse bags sent me a PM today, and then sent me the instructions. It's nice to know that there are manufacturers monitoring the forums and provide assistance when needed, I was impressed.

I can't wait until I get the mounts and can get the bags installed. I've admired the Jesse's for a long time, and after being able to examine them closely, I'm even more impressed with the quality.

I really appreciate all of the help.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymtb View Post
The great people at Jesse bags sent me a PM today, and then sent me the instructions. It's nice to know that there are manufacturers monitoring the forums and provide assistance when needed, I was impressed.

I can't wait until I get the mounts and can get the bags installed. I've admired the Jesse's for a long time, and after being able to examine them closely, I'm even more impressed with the quality.

I really appreciate all of the help.
Take a look at the bottom of the instructions!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
roadrage
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It is possible, IF you have the bag and bike mounts. If you want the PDF instructions send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you whatever set or sets you want.

Jim
Thanks for the offer Jim, I was looking for them to share with the OP. I've got the mounting down pat. Finding a way to bring the bags with me should I ditch the 1150 and go with a 1200 some day, that'd be nice... but that is probably easier to do because the mounts were made for 1200's as I recall...

Word of warning skymtb, watch your left side mount. The muffler does a damned good job of heating the crap out of the contents. Best thing you can do is make or buy a tailpipe extension for your muffler to keep the heat away as much as possible. I also have spacers added to my mounts to get a little extra space too. Take your time to hanging the bags.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
skymtb OP
Adventurer

Jim, thanks for the offer, I will be sending you a PM. Thanks to the instructions I found out the used set I was buying did not show the passenger peg portion of the rack in the photos, I found out the seller did not have those pieces, so he is refunding my payment.

I called Jesse, they do not have any of the old mounts left except for KTM's. The new style mounts can be used, but several new holes will need to be drilled. I will continue to search for the old style, but may have to go the new style route.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
roadrage
Studly Adventurer

While it would involve several holes, I think that would not be a huge issue. I wouldn't mind seeing the instructions for retrofitting the new racks to the older bags. Personally I'd go that route. You'd need to block/plug 4 holes per bag, 2 would be hidden and the forward 2 could be covered with a sticker.