Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #166
portalespeanut
nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer: 51
Truly one of the 'Good Guys'...what a great loss for us all. Godspeed...
portalespeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #167
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,245
Still in shock. Doesn't seem real. I didn't even know the guy. Heart breaking for his family. Knowing how he affected perfect strangers...damn.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #168
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Seat Time: Celebrating the life of Kurt Caselli

From Here: http://seattime.co/2013/11/celebrati...-kurt-caselli/

Having started this press release over many times, we knew it was best to leave the emotion out of it and help in our way to celebrate the life of Kurt Caselli.
November 18th, 2013 : In an effort to help celebrate the life of Kurt Caselli, Seat Time would like to have a memorial show for Caselli. We are looking for any and all who have a story they would like to share with the world about KC66 to please reach out to us. We will skype in those whom wish to give their story in person. If being on the show live isn’t your thing, we will be more than willing to read your story during the show.
In true Seat Time fashion, we will be going live tomorrow night, Tuesday, November 19th, at 8pm cst. Please email us at the link below if you would like to talk on the show or email us a story. Thank you all for your time and we hope to celebrate the life of a great man and one of the best ambassadors our sport has ever known.
Submit your Story: http://seattime.co/ask-a-question/
Show Link: http://seattime.co/live/
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #169
Adventure Kitty
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,271
Mr. Caselli was very nice! He loved aventure and fish tacos. Goobye Mr. Caselli. Say hello to Mr. Meoni for me.

Adventure Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #170
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,378
Dudes, please. We are all sad and frustrated. A moment of silence please.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #171
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I would like to share a short piece that I wrote -

http://www.enduro360.com/2013/11/16/...comment-212151

Very nicely said. Thanks.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #172
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I completely agree. Couldn't agree more. Don't blame me. This guy had to try and start some standard Adv BS in a thread about a racing legend that passed away. Super poor form.
Yes, your form is poor. Sorry to all reading, but as a Baja rider and enthusiast, I'm offended by comments toward it's citizens. I never bought into the rumors about a booby trap, but some ran with it and I found it offensive. I put Kurt on a pedestal along side Malcolm Smith and Johnny Campbell. They would be offended also.

I'm heading down tomorrow for my own 1,000 mile ride and will report on my booby trap discoveries. I apologize and am moving on.

MKJ screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 08:44 PM
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #173
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 337
One of my favorite projects ever.

Roost In Peace 66
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #174
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
I put Kurt on a pedestal along side Malcolm Smith and Johnny Campbell.
Since you mentioned Malcolm, I found this great shot last night while looking for updates:

And back before he exclusively wore orange:

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #175
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Since you mentioned Malcolm, I found this great shot last night while looking for updates:

And back before he exclusively wore orange:

Was that pic taken at Malcolm Smith Motorsports movie night last year? I was there. He and Colton represented the ISDE well. I was moved by Colton's story of racing an entire day with one foot peg. Kurt had so much respect for him. Sad.

MKJ screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 09:10 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #176
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
One of my favorite projects ever.

Roost In Peace 66
Great interview Scotty.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #177
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #178
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
I'm not sure how many people realize how big the outpouring has been.

Right now, there are eight individual threads just on this site, talking about this.

Lest anybody think that it's only the internet, I just drove through his neighborhood a few hours ago (a mile from my house). An otherwise quiet, suburban neighborhood is packed with cars and pickup trucks for a block in both directions.

I had my normal Saturday lunch, was flipping through Dirt Rider...and there was Kurt. Damn. I'm reposting below what I posted in Jo Momma so any family and friends who read the comments can see it.

DAMN! This just absolutely sucks. Kurt is a local to me...which is to say, I know where his house is and used to see him around town a few times a year.

Two stories I'll share here since the JM thread will probably get the most traffic.

I think it was 2005 or 2006. I was sitting in the local Baja Fresh with either Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider magazine. I'm just eating my lunch and flipping through the magazine. Two tables away is a group of 20-something guys and one of them keeps looking over at me with this big grin. I can't figure out why this guy keeps looking at me, or maybe he's looking past me...whatever.

As I'm flipping through the magazine, I turn past a page with a huge photo of a guy from the ISDE coverage (pretty sure he was a privateer American that year). The face looks really familiar but, I can't quite place it.

Meanwhile, this guy at the other table keeps looking at me. I swear, I turned past the page and kept going. In a minute or two, my brain finally wires the two realities together and I flip back to that page and read the caption below it. I look up and there is this guy, still smiling--that characteristic Kurt smile. I finally ask, "Is that you?"

He gives an almost child-like nod with the smile. "Yeah!" Man, I was just blown away. I went on and on about what an amazing honor that must have been for him to go to the ISDE and to be part of one of the great motorcycling events. I don't follow much racing but, I knew that getting to compete in the ISDE is a huge deal. We talked for a few minutes, then they left--a genuinely nice guy.

Fast forward 8-9 months. I'm out killing an afternoon and going to some garage sales on my way home from lunch. I get to one and there's not much to see but, there's a giant, KTM box van on the opposite side of the street. The garage door is open and there's a guy working on a couple of KTMs in the garage. I can't resist walking over there and saying hi. Anybody that into KTM has to be somebody I'd get along with.

I walk into the garage and introduce myself (first name only). He introduces himself as Rich. We talk a few minutes. He just got through wrestling a mousse into a rear tire and was remounting the back wheel. "These are pretty nicely setup bikes. You obviously race."

"No, they're my son's bikes. I just work on them." Just as he's saying that, I notice Kurt's name on the back fender."

"AHHH! You're Kurt's dad. Damn, good to meet you."

Anybody who loved motorcycles was instant friends with that family. Kurt was out on a bicycle training ride but, returned a bit later. He remembered me from Baja Fresh.

ISDE coverage just coincidentally was going to be aired that afternoon. They invited me to come in the house and watch it with them. So I sat there the afternoon watching ISDE with Rich and Kurt Caselli.

Afterward, Kurt asked if I collected motorcycle posters. He dug around in the back of their truck and pulled out one of his KTM-issued posters. This time I had the sense to ask him to autograph it. He gave me a handful of euro-market stickers for my 620 Adventure (told him I was going for the Dakar look on it). We spent a bunch of time talking about Dakar, how badly he wanted to go, the loss of Fabrizio Meoni, etc, etc.

As I was leaving, Kurt was planning with one of his friends drive out to the desert to look for old abandoned couches. They were salvaging foam for their foam pit in the backyard. Of course, he needed it to land his CRF50 after practicing "sweet jumps."

Since then, I either saw him in traffic around town or ran into him at the gas station a few times. There was always that smile. His dad, Rich, passed away a few years ago. Now this. Condolences to Kurt's mom...too much loss, too close together for one person to deal with.

You're going to be missed, dude.

thanks for the story.
he really was a stand up guy.
hate to see him leave.
was expecting a lot from him.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #179
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,161
Cry RIP Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZERO View Post
thanks for the story.
he really was a stand up guy.
hate to see him leave.
was expecting a lot from him.
No only is the loss tragic, it really close to home. No, I've never had pleasure of meeting Kurt but I can count on more than one hand the number of times I had a significant OFF that left me sitting for a while on the side of the trail leaned up to a rock or a tree trying to recoup from the accident. Typically I'd jump back on the bike only to slow down and park a shot distance later to "shake" it off.

Adrenaline and shock do strange things to our perception of pain. Some are overwhelmed and simply loose it while others shut it out completely and don't even realized they're hurt as bad as they are. I suspect that Kurt was one to look past pain, a problem solver who was confronted with an issue he couldn't resolve.

Kurt was special, both on and off piste. 48+hrs later and my heart still aches - Godspeed Kurt!!!
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #180
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,810
KC... respected by friends, competitors, family and fans alike...

Went out to Kurt Caselli's memorial that @ivanramirez450, @eyorba280 and family made for him.
It was good to get some clarity but my heart is torn, I miss you @kurtcaselli66.
I hope your rippin it up with Ox. #RipKC #Hero

Colton Udall

The #1x paid this tribute on facebook...

Class act is Colton Udall... these guys race hard, but there is a mutual respect that is admirable.

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote