Colton and Kurt

El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #182
Ridgway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

Went out to Kurt Caselli's memorial that @ivanramirez450, @eyorba280 and family made for him.
It was good to get some clarity but my heart is torn, I miss you @kurtcaselli66.
I hope your rippin it up with Ox. #RipKC #Hero

Colton Udall

The #1x paid this tribute on facebook...

Class act is Colton Udall... these guys race hard, but there is a mutual respect that is admirable.
I've always liked Colton...now I like him even more. I was upset when I read some posters (on other forums) accuse Colton of not stopping for KC. I know he would have thrown away the race win if he would have seen an injured KC.
Ridgway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #183
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150

We are having a "Flashlight Vigil" this Saturday night 6PM for Kurt at the Blais/KTM pit at the 100's National, N. Anderson, Lucerne. No candles in case of wind. Bring your flashlights, your chairs and we will have prayer by Team True and share stories of our Hero! Spread the word!

Memorial Ride Celebrating the life of Kurt Caselli - After the final checkered flag of the National Youth Hare and Hound, 2PM. Spread the word!
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #184
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
It's taken me a few days to get things straight in my head, I was absolutely gob-smacked when I heard the news. It still doesn't seem right.

I didn't know Kurt well, we met for the first time at the Steamboat Rally this fall. But I would say I knew him well enough to understand that he was a great guy- he was a great racer, of course, but he was an even better person. He made time for everyone, he was quick to smile and laugh, he shared his passion and love and talent freely. Here was my moment in his sunshine, we chatted about Dakar and rally and his plans coming up.

Knowing that he is gone is hard to take. It is unsatisfying to say "he died doing what he loved", which is true, but doesn't seem to handle the topic sufficiently. Chilly wrote well on the subject, and of course there is nothing that could explain it or make it OK, it doesn't owe us that. It just is. I agree with Chilly's conclusion- Kurt made the world a brighter, better place, and that is something that will not fade anytime soon. It's a beautiful thing, made unfortunately poignant by his passing.

As someone who enjoys many of the same risky pursuits as Kurt (albeit quite a bit slower), there's an element where we have to reflect on our own decisions in light of his passing. In some ways, nothing is different, but in another way, it is hard not to question going rallying or even just riding fast when that took someone so great from us all too soon.

I think the answers we find to those questions are entirely personal, and come down to what we find inside ourselves. Kurt had a need for, and a love for, going fast, and to take that from him would have been to take part of what made him the great person he was. For him, it was a true part of him, and while it took him from us too soon, it also made him who he was.

I think some people act in a certain way because they think they should, or because they think other people will admire them for it, or for some reason other than true love, true passion. Kurt didn't- he did it for himself. For that reason, it's easier for me to accept what happened, and easier for me to manage my own decisions, whatever they might be.

I share those thoughts because I imagine many of us, whether we were gifted to know Kurt personally or not, are wrestling with the same things right now... and I am glad to have read other folks here remembrances and thoughts, and would love to see more.

GodSPEED Kurt.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #185
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Your words have struck chord with me. Very well put and well written. Thank you.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #186
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

I think some people act in a certain way because they think they should, or because they think other people will admire them for it, or for some reason other than true love, true passion. Kurt didn't- he did it for himself. For that reason, it's easier for me to accept what happened, and easier for me to manage my own decisions, whatever they might be.

GodSPEED Kurt.
Well put Ned. I try to live my life by this rule.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #187
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,083
Well put, Ned.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #188
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Thanks for this.

Excellent Ned.

Quote:
It's taken me a few days to get things straight in my head, I was absolutely gob-smacked when I heard the news. It still doesn't seem right.

I didn't know Kurt well, we met for the first time at the Steamboat Rally this fall. But I would say I knew him well enough to understand that he was a great guy- he was a great racer, of course, but he was an even better person. He made time for everyone, he was quick to smile and laugh, he shared his passion and love and talent freely. Here was my moment in his sunshine, we chatted about Dakar and rally and his plans coming up.

Knowing that he is gone is hard to take. It is unsatisfying to say "he died doing what he loved", which is true, but doesn't seem to handle the topic sufficiently. Chilly wrote well on the subject, and of course there is nothing that could explain it or make it OK, it doesn't owe us that. It just is. I agree with Chilly's conclusion- Kurt made the world a brighter, better place, and that is something that will not fade anytime soon. It's a beautiful thing, made unfortunately poignant by his passing.

As someone who enjoys many of the same risky pursuits as Kurt (albeit quite a bit slower), there's an element where we have to reflect on our own decisions in light of his passing. In some ways, nothing is different, but in another way, it is hard not to question going rallying or even just riding fast when that took someone so great from us all too soon.

I think the answers we find to those questions are entirely personal, and come down to what we find inside ourselves. Kurt had a need for, and a love for, going fast, and to take that from him would have been to take part of what made him the great person he was. For him, it was a true part of him, and while it took him from us too soon, it also made him who he was.

I share those thoughts because I imagine many of us, whether we were gifted to know Kurt personally or not, are wrestling with the same things right now... and I am glad to have read other folks here remembrances and thoughts, and would love to see more.

GodSPEED Kurt.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #189
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,681
Very well put Ned, and a valuable perspective.

I can only echo what so many others have written and shared in the light of Kurt's untimely death. Though I never knew or met him, the offroad/rally community is small, and he was only a couple of degrees removed from some of my riding and racing friends. The loss of someone who seemed to be both incredibly talented yet self-effacing and generous is a major blow to our community, not to mention his family and fiancee.

I raised a glass last night and re-watched his segment of Moto4, and some of the excellent tributes and videos posted here. My heart breaks for his family, his parents, his fiancee, but in some small part, is lifted again realizing he lived his passion, and lived it so well, and so deeply.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #190
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
The last half dozen posts, have really helped me wrap my head around this tragic event. Thanks to all who share their thoughts here, it helps.

RIP KC
Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #191
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
well put, ned.
+1
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #192
Cjrenegade
oranger

Oddometer: 16
godspeed
Cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #193
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:

GodSPEED Kurt.
Thank you Ned. Well said.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #194
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Well put Ned, I to thank you for that.
I have also been thinking hard about what happend. When my wife heard about Kurt's accident she started to cry and asked me not to do it,(race Baja), anymore. It's hard on the families who love us but they also know our passions and dont want to limit us. It is a tough balancing act between our love for our families and our love for the sport. A Racer's gotta race. Only the person grabbing the throttle can make the decision. If you are one, you know. As has been stated here and on other forums, Kurt's passion for the sport was obvious and infectious. I met him only a few times but liked him right away.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #195
markvfr
too many hobbies...

Oddometer: 118
My experience

Lots of great posts coming out lately, so I thought I'd share mine.

This year in Sardinia at the ISDE, after my race I sat in the peanut gallery on the hill side and watched him as he was waiting for the final moto with Osborne, Browny, Mullins and Robert. In a span of ten minutes riders like Meo, and other riders would come up to him and either say hi, smile or just pat him on the back. They didn't do that to any other rider that I saw.

After following his career for years, actually since I started racing dirtbikes seven years ago, I met Kurt last year at the ISDE in Germany. I only exchanged few conversations with him then and this year in Sardinia I didn't get a chance to chat with him at all. Now I'm very sad I didn't. I'm not easily star-struck by anybody, especially someone riding a dirtbike really fast for a living. Thus, it was very strange to me that I would idolize and hold Kurt in another bracket than everybody else in the sport. Why is that? I don't know, can't put a finger on it. Was it that he was blazingly fast, in a smooth and nonchalant kind of way? Was it because he was so approachable and friendly? Was it because he was so humble? Was it because he radiated positive energy and goodness? Perhaps all of them combined.

A lot of people have already mentioned in previous posts, Kurt just personafied being a very good person and everyone was drawn to it, including me. I'm 37 years old, and every day I strive to be a better person and pass that quality to others and Kurt was an example to me and I imagine many other people, especially kids of what a role model should be and act like.

Like Ned said, his passing also made me think and re-evaluate my passions, and no other tragedy of a rider or athlete has had an affect on me like Kurts untimely departure.

Ride on KC66.
markvfr is offline   Reply With Quote