ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Maybe so, but if I were a guest in someone's home, and found I didn't like the way they behaved, I would not instruct them on how to run their household. I would just excuse myself, and leave.

And, are you really sure that the percentage qualifies as "most?"
Of course I'm not sure that the percentage is most but it was in my experience.
I think he's a showman and has strong opinions, and last I heard, in this country you're free to express them. Just as we're all free to express ours here. I think it's great that we're going to perhaps cull the people from the presentation who wouldn't enjoy it.... And isn't that the whole point of this place anyway?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Hmmmm, I have seen Austin each time he has come to Portland over the last few years and saw him the last two years at Overland Expo in Arizona where this last year he showed Mondo Sahara and whatever you think of Austin, I really think all you adventure riders will enjoy the movie....A LOT
As far as Austin goes, I think he is either your cup of British tea or not-I have spoke with him extensively at Overland and found him very engaging and not a prick in the least-Yes, he can be a bit preachy but I think he has some valid points since but he has seen much of the world that we, as American tourists rarely see...

SEE the movie, you will enjoy it!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC

mtbdemon screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 09:23 PM
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
The gospel according to Austin

You can expect Austin to be in Austin style. If you don't like him or his humor, that's okay. Don't complain if you been fooled twice, he is of a different culture.

If you have not seen him speak, then you can expect: Nudity, profanity, preaching, backhanded humor, mockery of you and your adventure bike, mockery of the 'adventure bike' industry, and british humor. All in good fun.

He will also sincerely encourage you to get out beyond the safety zone of your life, travel by whatever means you have, show you it can be done with little money, and that you don't need some behemoth motorbike because that's what the industry is telling you what you need to be successful.

And, not to take it all so seriously.

I can also tell you he is thankful for you and supporters like Touratech.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomuffin View Post
I loved the presentation and Austin! And if you all didn't know this, most americans do act like entitled cunts when traveling abroad.
Politics can't be divorced from travel.
You've never seen Russian tourists have you? They make the average American tourist pig look like a member of the diplomatic corp.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,444
I think some people just seek out reasons to be offended. I went to a presentation by Striking Viking some years ago and some douche got into him about his political views. He shouted out something like "we're here for a slide show not to hear about your liberal political views."

Different strokes for different folks. You pays your admission you get your ride.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
pdxjim OP
Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy View Post
You can expect Austin to be in Austin style. If you don't like him or his humor, that's okay. Don't complain if you been fooled twice, he is of a different culture.

If you have not seen him speak, then you can expect: Nudity, profanity, preaching, backhanded humor, mockery of you and your adventure bike, mockery of the 'adventure bike' industry, and british humor. All in good fun.

He will also sincerely encourage you to get out beyond the safety zone of your life, travel by whatever means you have, show you it can be done with little money, and that you don't need some behemoth motorbike because that's what the industry is telling you what you need to be successful.

And, not to take it all so seriously.

I can also tell you he is thankful for you and supporters like Touratech.
What he ^ said.
pdxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
I think some people just seek out reasons to be offended. I went to a presentation by Striking Viking some years ago and some douche got into him about his political views. He shouted out something like "we're here for a slide show not to hear about your liberal political views."

Different strokes for different folks. You pays your admission you get your ride.
I have reported this post as offensive.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post

Shut up and sing, right?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,088
I live in Indiana so of course I cant make the event but I would love to buy the DVD. The only place I have found Sahara is from overseas. Any idea if Austin will be selling the DVD at the showing or if I could have someone ship me one?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
I have reported this post as offensive.
I find your post offensive, but I won't make a fuss.

Will someone start posting doggie pics pllzzzzz?

http://i.imgur.com/W9HVIIA.gif

tblume screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 02:11 PM
tblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I live in Indiana so of course I cant make the event but I would love to buy the DVD. The only place I have found Sahara is from overseas. Any idea if Austin will be selling the DVD at the showing or if I could have someone ship me one?
I am quite sure he will be selling a westernized DVD as he has with all his other movies. If you have seen his other movies, Mondo Sahara has the same feel and humor PLUS it has a guy from Portland in it!!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
I am quite sure he will be selling a westernized DVD as he has with all his other movies. If you have seen his other movies, Mondo Sahara has the same feel and humor PLUS it has a guy from Portland in it!!!
Yep I own the Terra Circa DVD, Mondo Enduro DVD, and Mondo Enduro book. I really think what Austin and Gerald and their groups have done is amazing and have been disappointed to read on here that he acted the way he did at the last event. Kind of a "never meet your heroes" sort of thing I guess. But hey, when haven't we all acted like jackasses at some point or another. I live in a glass house so I don't like to throw stones and I sure as hell would be first in line to get in to the event if I didn't live on the other side of the country.

If anyone gets any more info on whether or not the merch will be sold at the event and would be willing to mail me a copy of the DVD I would be happy to pay you for your trouble. I will also keep an eye out on this thread and the link provided to see if they may add an online store for the merch as well.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #28
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Anyone know where I could see the DVD's online? I'm very interested in his actual trip and experience, just not the rest of it.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #29
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post
Anyone know where I could see the DVD's online? I'm very interested in his actual trip and experience, just not the rest of it.
Go to the event and make your own conclusions-You might very well enjoy it!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Go to the event and make your own conclusions-You might very well enjoy it!
Sigh.....um, read my first post at the beginning of this thread. Again, I'm looking to see the other movies and hoping I could watch them online. I'm assuming these other movies are long films and I seriously doubt he'll show those also.