ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
spartanman OP
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 944
First LC or first oilhead GS: Which had more problems?

Unfortunately, ADV doesn't go back to the introduction of oilheads. And I didn't buy a new one when they came out so I can't comment. But just for kicks, I went back and read some posts that more or less coincide with the release of the R1150 GS. Interestingly there were relatively few complaints about things going wrong and more about farkling. Granted, other than adding a gear and 50 cc, there's not a remarkable difference between the 1150 and 1100.

The LC, however, is a completely different animal and will likely see additional growing pains. Similarly, the oilhead was a broad departure from the airhead. Anybody here who bought a new 1100 or 1150 GS recall the kinds and numbers of problems they experienced with them?

spartanman screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 05:29 AM
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Unfortunately, ADV doesn't go back to the introduction of oilheads. And I didn't buy a new one when they came out so I can't comment. But just for kicks, I went back and read some posts that more or less coincide with the release of the R1150 GS. Interestingly there were relatively few complaints about things going wrong and more about farkling. Granted, other than adding a gear and 50 cc, there's not a remarkable difference between the 1150 and 1100.

The LC, however, is a completely different animal and will likely see additional growing pains. Similarly, the oilhead was a broad departure from the airhead. Anybody here who bought a new 1100 or 1150 GS recall the kinds and numbers of problems they experienced with them?

Not to diminish anyone's complaints about their LC but I have 3,600 trouble free miles on my 2013.
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA (on order)
2012 Moto Guzzi Norge
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
tjt94
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hell Centro, CA (8 miles to Mexico)
Oddometer: 560
There is infinitely more technology on the new WC so there is much more potential for things to go wrong. Also, social media tends to over report problems and it didn't exist when the 1100 was released so there would not be many ways to get an accurate count on real issues other than recalls.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 406
I know why but you have missed out a generation.
The first of the 1200 bikes had loads of problems but not many of them had shown up after only a year. It's not even that for the majority of the LC's especially in the states with them taking a few months extra to get over there in any numbers.

3600 trouble free miles and your celebrating? Talk about easy pleased!
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
MassiveLee
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 793
The 1110 oil head engine was a major step up from previous boxers. That was in the early 1990s, right? Oil cooled head. 4 valves per cylinder. No more pushrods, so chain drive was "innovative" on those boxers. I think that over the 2 decades the oil head existed, perhaps the only major glitch came from the timing chain tensionner.

I thing that the Liquid Cooled motors have as much innovations (no more, no less) than the oil cooled ones. The main difference not being in the engine itself but the transmission and clutch in my opinion.

Lee
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Oddometer: 102
Early R1100GS oilheads were famous for blowing head gaskets resulting in oil leaks. The plastic fuel tanks would shed their decals and more than a few tanks collapsed due to emission control problems. A lot of M94 transmissions were replaced due to 'ratcheting' under load.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Girthy Knobkers's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: East Bay
Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Not to diminish anyone's complaints about their LC but I have 3,600 trouble free miles on my 2013.
I raise your 3,600



I have owned both a '95 1100 and 2013 LC... Guess I've been lucky, no major issues with either. Heard the horror stories that everyone else has but I try to sleep tight and just think about riding them both a lot more.
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
estlerd
TXRider
 
estlerd's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denton, Tx
Oddometer: 183
Laugh 1150 problems.

I bought my 1150 new thirteen years ago this month. I do not ride as much as i would like so only have 39k miles. I do all my own wrenching & have no problems. Blew out a crown seal a few years ago due to me overfilling the final drive. Took less than an hour to replace. I'm on my second Odyssey battery, the first lasted seven years. The original shocks were gone at about 26k miles. Replaced with Wilbers. Other than that, just routine maintenance.
__________________
Dave in Denton
Current
01 R1150 GS

Former
99 Ducati Monster
97 BWW F650
96 Honda CBR 600
91 GSXR 750
90 Honda CBR1000F
83 Suzuki GS1100E
79 BMW R100RS
77 BMW R75/7
more dirt bikes than I can remember
estlerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
I know why but you have missed out a generation.
The first of the 1200 bikes had loads of problems but not many of them had shown up after only a year. It's not even that for the majority of the LC's especially in the states with them taking a few months extra to get over there in any numbers.

3600 trouble free miles and your celebrating? Talk about easy pleased!
Not celebrating. Just stating I haven't had problems. I'm not a koolaid drinker. I didn't like my k1600 and was not shy about bitching about its problems.
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA (on order)
2012 Moto Guzzi Norge
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Not to diminish anyone's complaints about their LC but I have 3,600 trouble free miles on my 2013.


Sorry..so in a month...it's all good...

I hope that keeps up thru month 2 for you...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
I raise your 3,600

That's what I'm talking about....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
erey
Adventurer
 
erey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 48
2005 GS - no issues
2010 GSA - no issues
2013 GS LC - no issues (19'000kms)

I continue to read few forums ...
erey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girthy Knobkers View Post
I raise your 3,600



I have owned both a '95 1100 and 2013 LC... Guess I've been lucky, no major issues with either. Heard the horror stories that everyone else has but I try to sleep tight and just think about riding them both a lot more.
That's impressive mileage. Where have you been on it?
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSAW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
hammick
Beastly Adventurer
 
hammick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post


Sorry..so in a month...it's all good...

I hope that keeps up thru month 2 for you...
Wow a dick measuring contest. In June of 2012 I put 10,400 miles on my GSA is 23 days. Can you touch that Vegas boy?
__________________
2015 R1200 GSA (on order)
2012 Moto Guzzi Norge
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Girthy Knobkers's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: East Bay
Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That's impressive mileage. Where have you been on it?
Mostly commuting and western region riding. A long cc trip immediately following purchase. Talk about trusting a machine
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014