User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Yellowledbetter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Tire Pressure Monitor Calibration

We inadvertently broke the Tire Pressure Monitor sensor that anchors to the valve stem while changing the rear tire. I hate it when that happens. We purchased a new sensor and replaced it, but the bike computer apparently needs to be recalibrated and/or re-set to clear the warning light and display tire pressures. Can anyone explain how this is done without taking the bike to the dealership? I know on some bikes you can access the on-board computer using a sequence of manual toggles, etc. (for example, holding down the computer button while turning on the ignition, then hitting the odometer re-set button. I made that sequence up, but you get the idea.) Can anyone help?

Thanks much in advance!
Yellowledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Sorry Yellow, hate to hijack your thread, but I have a related question as well:

I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels with different tires. I have TPM - how would it work with a second set of sensors, i.e., would I need to somehow recalibrate the system each time I changed the wheels? Is it DIY or do I need a dealer to program it?

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowledbetter
We inadvertently broke the Tire Pressure Monitor sensor that anchors to the valve stem while changing the rear tire. I hate it when that happens. We purchased a new sensor and replaced it, but the bike computer apparently needs to be recalibrated and/or re-set to clear the warning light and display tire pressures. Can anyone explain how this is done without taking the bike to the dealership? I know on some bikes you can access the on-board computer using a sequence of manual toggles, etc. (for example, holding down the computer button while turning on the ignition, then hitting the odometer re-set button. I made that sequence up, but you get the idea.) Can anyone help?

Thanks much in advance!
I don't think it is possible without a computer interface. The sensors are RF based and need to handshake with the ECU. Maybe the GS911 guy has better info about doing this.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
I'm thinking about getting a second set of wheels with different tires. I have TPM - how would it work with a second set of sensors, i.e., would I need to somehow recalibrate the system each time I changed the wheels? Is it DIY or do I need a dealer to program it?

I have two sets of wheels for my 12GS with TPM. The computer can handle 4 wheels, but the dealer does have to set it up with the bikes computer. Works great though, as I can swap wheels and the computer works fine for either set.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
switz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
The dealer has a special device that appears to awaken the TPM sender in the tire after a new installation or on a new bike.

I also have a second set of wheels coming for the Adcventure (mags for the street tires since it came with spoke wheels which will go back to knobby tires). The dealer will install the TPM senders in the new wheels and they will chat with the bike. My impression is the only real intelligence that is passed to the bike is along the lines of:

"Hi! I am the rear tire and the estimated pressure is xx psi." or "Hi! I am the front tire and the estimated pressure is xx psi."

When riding, the pressures displayed seem to vary several psi as I go along going both up and down. The dealer stated that they are to show a major pressure change. Somehow, I think the flat appearance would probably do that or the squemmish feeling as it deflated. I never rely on the TPM as an accurate assessment of the actual tire pressure. If I had the option to NOT buy it (it was part of a safety package on the 2008 model) I would not acquire it.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd
I have two sets of wheels for my 12GS with TPM. The computer can handle 4 wheels, but the dealer does have to set it up with the bikes computer. Works great though, as I can swap wheels and the computer works fine for either set.
Thanks ShaftEd - great news. So are you saying that the dealer only needs to set up all 4 wheels one time and afterward the wheels can be swapped without any additional settings?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Yellowledbetter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogmolly
I don't think it is possible without a computer interface. The sensors are RF based and need to handshake with the ECU. Maybe the GS911 guy has better info about doing this.
Thanks hogmolly. Ummmm.....GS911 guy?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Thanks ShaftEd - great news. So are you saying that the dealer only needs to set up all 4 wheels one time and afterward the wheels can be swapped without any additional settings?
Yep, My bike came with alloys that had TPM and I purchased Spoke wheels and had sensors added to the spoke wheels. The dealer had to get the computer to handshake with the new spokes and tell it which is front and rear. Once all set up, I can switch wheels back and forth and the TPM works just fine with either set.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd
Yep, My bike came with alloys that had TPM and I purchased Spoke wheels and had sensors added to the spoke wheels. The dealer had to get the computer to handshake with the new spokes and tell it which is front and rear. Once all set up, I can switch wheels back and forth and the TPM works just fine with either set.
Awesome - thanks!

I've been hounding my dealer for a month trying to get this answer...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
He's on this site and built a home use interface to the motorcycle. A little searching should give you his website.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #11
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,259
I have a buddy near me with a tire shop (granted he nominally deals with cars/trucks). From what I gather from him I'd put a piece of black tape over that part of the dash. I can see a case for soccer moms needing something like this but wintf would I want it.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Yellowledbetter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels52
I have a buddy near me with a tire shop (granted he nominally deals with cars/trucks). From what I gather from him I'd put a piece of black tape over that part of the dash. I can see a case for soccer moms needing something like this but wintf would I want it.
Jim
I actually find the TPM to be quite useful. But that aside, the warning light is a shared light for a variety of systems on the bike. While it is lit all the time for the TPM (or taped over, as you suggest), I reduce the likelihood of noticing that I am now being warned about something else entirely, like oil pressure or low fuel, for example.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
GSinfo
GS-911

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Unfortunately the new sensor has to be re-"learned" by the control module... and that you can only do with a diagnostic tool... In our upcoming Beta release (early 2009) we have added support fro the RDC control module (Tyre pressure) - however that includes only the basic functionality of reading the ECU info, as well as reading and clearing the fault codes...

However, what you're looking for is the function called "'Registering tyre-pressure sensors"... and unfortunately we have not had time to cover that for the upcoming release... and has to stand over for a later release...

AFAIK, for now your only option would be to have the dealer do it...

best,
Stephan
Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
BLANKS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinfo
Unfortunately the new sensor has to be re-"learned" by the control module... and that you can only do with a diagnostic tool... In our upcoming Beta release (early 2009) we have added support fro the RDC control module (Tyre pressure) - however that includes only the basic functionality of reading the ECU info, as well as reading and clearing the fault codes...

However, what you're looking for is the function called "'Registering tyre-pressure sensors"... and unfortunately we have not had time to cover that for the upcoming release... and has to stand over for a later release...

AFAIK, for now your only option would be to have the dealer do it...

best,
Stephan
Anything changed from then to now with regards to the GS911? can we now get it to re-learn sensors?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
slparry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANKS
Anything changed from then to now with regards to the GS911? can we now get it to re-learn sensors?
Yes I too would like to know when this feature will be available for my GS 911?
slparry is offline   Reply With Quote