Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #46
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
They look like a great idea, just in need of a little more refinement.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #47
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Looks to me like they have their own scaffolding ... how else do you keep them off of the muffler?
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #48
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Can I assume they don't come off easily?

Jim
No, you have to unbolt them. They come with inner bags, so idea is to leave them on the bike. I think that they are aimed at people that want metal panniers, that only use them 2 or 3 times a year, and don't want the scaffolding left on the bike when not in use.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #49
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,879
Thumbs down

I rate them 5 pukes.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #50
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I just weighed my Globescout 35l special set. With mounting hardware they are 35 lbs for everything. Just the bags weigh 27 lbs for the pair.
You could stuff 35l Zegas with a tent and sleeping bag and be the same weight as the Globes are empty. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #51
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
You could stuff 35l Zegas with a tent and sleeping bag and be the same weight as the Globes are empty. [IMG][IMGhttp://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/ezbeemer/01-050-0031-02.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
Maybe, but those aren't the current models and Zega Pros are far more expensive / dont look near as good / are made of thinner material. If that picture is an indicator of how they weighed them, they also dont have any mounting hardware or locks. Id bet a large sum of money that a comparable set of Zega Pros wont be near the above quoted weight.

Besides that, whens the last time you were riding and said, "Self, this ride sure would be better if only I had saved 5 lbs by going with lighter bags." ???

oz97tj screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 02:18 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #52
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
No, you have to unbolt them. They come with inner bags, so idea is to leave them on the bike. I think that they are aimed at people that want metal panniers, that only use them 2 or 3 times a year, and don't want the scaffolding left on the bike when not in use.
I dont know jow long it takes to bolt them on but I just installed my Globescout racks in abiut 15 minutes. By this logic Id still rather have a rack system. And they look hideous and dont look like theyd be very stable. Sorry, but major market fail.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #53
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,946
Quote:
I dont know jow long it takes to bolt them on but I just installed my Globescout racks in abiut 15 minutes. By this logic Id still rather have a rack system. And they look hideous and dont look like theyd be very stable. Sorry, but major market fail.
I won't be buying them. Think I'll stick with the varios, or go for the new GSA panniers.

Does anyone know the make of metal panniers with the quick release scaffolding? I can't remember who does that, but you can remove the mounting bars very quickly, for when you don't need the luggage on the bike.

RichBMW screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 02:43 PM
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #54
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Maybe, but those aren't the current models and Zega Pros are far more expensive / dont look near as good / are made of thinner material. If that picture is an indicator of how they weighed them, they also dont have any mounting hardware or locks. Id bet a large sum of money that a comparable set of Zega Pros wont be near the above quoted weight.

Besides that, whens the last time you were riding and said, "Self, this ride sure would be better if only I had saved 5 lbs by going with lighter bags." ???
The original Zegas are still available and the Pros are made from the same 1.5mm Aluminum. They do add the weight of plastic corners and a heavier latch/ hinge setup
Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I won't be buying them. Think I'll stick with the varios, or go for the new GSA panniers.

Does anyone know the make of metal panniers with the quick release scaffolding? I can't remember who does that, but you can remove the mounting bars very quickly, for when you don't need the luggage on the bike.
Givi makes the quick release racks for the Hexhead and Camhead. I do not know if they make them for the Wethead.

As for the ones using the stock mounts, I am betting that could be made quick release.

The bags are fairly basic, but not bad for the price.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #56
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Questions: does the pre-GSW Vario top box mount to the GSW top box mounting bracket? In other words, does previous top box models work with the GSW?
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #57
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
The original Zegas are still available and the Pros are made from the same 1.5mm Aluminum. They do add the weight of plastic corners and a heavier latch/ hinge setup
Ok, the original Zegas are still around. The rest of what I said still applies.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #58
Prodaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Top Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
Questions: does the pre-GSW Vario top box mount to the GSW top box mounting bracket? In other words, does previous top box models work with the GSW?
Have just ordered replacement bracket for 2010 GS top box prior to putting the bike on the market, don't know if it will fit my 2013 or not but I sincerely doubt it since very little camhead gear fits the WC. Will be glad to let you know as soon as the bracket gets here, FedX said they were expecting some delays due to "a national service disruption", guess that means the weather...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #59
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Have just ordered replacement bracket for 2010 GS top box prior to putting the bike on the market, don't know if it will fit my 2013 or not but I sincerely doubt it since very little camhead gear fits the WC. Will be glad to let you know as soon as the bracket gets here, FedX said they were expecting some delays due to "a national service disruption", guess that means the weather...
Sorry, I missed the question. No, it will not fit.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgo View Post
When I saw the thread I couldn't believe it

This is just what I've been looking for " watercooled panniers "

Now I can keep my beer and food cooled down in the middle of summer.
Funny you should suggest that - I'm considering modifying a yeti cooler by putting the TT rapid trap top box mechanism on the bottom for exactly that purpose. It's an expensive fail if it doesn't work though ...