User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
Daytime running switch, and ensuing dealer Saga - 2013 GSW

In August this year, a suicidal deer decided to viciously attack me whilst riding my brand new 2013 GSW. I'll spare you the details, but getting the bike repaired at my local dealer has been nothing short of a saga. They had it for over 12 weeks, and then had to order more parts that were missed the first time around. I am still waiting for an LED headlight controller, my high beam is not functional. I am so tired of the BS and excuses, that I never want to step foot on the property again. I picked up the bike on Saturday, and noticed that my new left hand switch gear looked different.
I couldn't figure out what the hell that new switch is for. After some reaserch, I realized that they ordered the switchgear for the EU, for bikes that have a daytime running light. The button has no functionality. Everything works fine, except I am now apparently the only bike in the USA with this option. I am so pissed off at the dealer, that I can't stomach going back, fighting another fight, and waiting 4 more weeks for parts. Opinions needed on what to do. Would this bother you If it was your bike? Or is it not worth getting upset about?

To top it off, my bike has developed a horrible hesitation / fueling issue under acceleration and load. There is no way I'm going to let these clowns try to fix it. I will be taking it to another dealer who I know is competent, and truthful.
Thoughts?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 572
If you add additional lighting perhaps you could use that switch. It would make a neat install.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Absolutely. That switch might actually come in handy. If I had the same year GS, I'd probably offer to trade you if you didn't like it. I know it was a rough time dealing with repairs, but it most certainly could have been worse. I'd rather fight with dealers instead of doctors. Now if this were warranty work you were waiting on....I'd say go find their mothers and have at it.
RoverGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,410
That switch is useless for any aftermarket application unless you have a way to use it as a trigger to another control unit. It doesn't do any switching in the traditional sense, it just sends a signal to the control unit that it has been actuated.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Not worth getting upset about in my book, although it seems like that horse is already out of the barn. You have an extra button. Just look at it kind of like that light switch some people have in their house and have no clue what it goes to.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,716
From what I have read, replacement parts are hard to get for these bikes as they are so new.
Not taking the dealers side here but they are hostage to BMW NA and Europe.
Just maybe the US controls are not available yet and this was the way to get you riding again.
Just a different point of view, I am not justifying it, and ultimately I would want the proper controls on my bike as well.

You could always isolate the switch and use it to trigger your garage door opener.........
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Thanks guys. I'm just going to leave it, it's not worth getting upset about I guess, and it is possible that the dealer ordered what was available, at the time. If I could find the output wires from the ECU to the daytime running light, perhaps I could use it in the future. The next issue is going to be getting the severe hesitation fixed while under acceleration there's definetley something wrong there. I will be taking it elsewhere for that.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Hook it up to some frickin' lazers!
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
Hook it up to some sharks with frickin' lazers!
Fix't

Sent from my LG-E612g using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
pplummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Thanks guys. I'm just going to leave it, it's not worth getting upset about I guess, and it is possible that the dealer ordered what was available, at the time. If I could find the output wires from the ECU to the daytime running light, perhaps I could use it in the future. The next issue is going to be getting the severe hesitation fixed while under acceleration there's definetley something wrong there. I will be taking it elsewhere for that.
Yes it is worth getting upset about. I would too. 20k for a bike and they say "sorry, it's too new to get parts?" BMW is choosing to put the parts into their bikes to keep up to customer orders versus servicing existing ones. I love BMWs but they have surely have lowered their standards in customer service IMO. Tell them once they get the right controls, you'll trade them out for your wrong ones and ride it until they get them in

pplummer screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:57 PM
pplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
What is the actual BMW part number for the switch they installed? Someone here ought to be able to confirm that it's the current correct part for your bike (or not).

Regarding the hesitation issue, have you tried the throttle "reset" procedure? With ignition ON, but engine OFF, twist throttle slowly forward to its stop and back to zero. Do this twice. Then turn ignition OFF. Then turn ignition back on and start the engine normally - hopefully the hesitation is now fixed.

Sailorlite screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:40 PM
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
What is the actual BMW part number for the switch they installed? Someone here ought to be able to confirm that it's the current correct part for your bike (or not).

Regarding the hesitation issue, have you tried the throttle "reset" procedure? With ignition ON, but engine OFF, twist throttle slowly forward to its stop and back to zero. Do this twice. Then turn ignition OFF. Then turn ignition back on and start the engine normally - hopefully the hesitation is now fixed.
Thanks, I have tried that, as well as unplugging the ground from the battery to reset the ECM. No change. It happens when the engine is under load, for instance pulling out of a corner and opening the throttle wide open. As it hits 5k a heavy stumble / hesitation happens. The same as fuel starvation. Its either ignition or fuel. I can't tell you what an ordeal this has been with the dealer in question. Utter incompetence. Here is a brief rundown.
1: First, after the accident i was told that they would do a "complete teardown" and find every broken part, and replace it.
2: After 10 weeks of hounding and being a pain in their ass, (plus a call to BMW customer service) I was told the bike was ready, and the tech who did the repairs was "meticulous"
3: Pick up the bike - find that the clutch lever, reservoir, entire left switchgear was still damaged and had not been replaced with new parts. Mirror was also installed incorrectly, and swinging in the breeze. Service manager apologizes and "promises to get new parts on order right away" I also paid $230 for the 600 mile service while the bike was in the shop. I want to ride, so I take the bike home, and they promise to call when the parts come in.
4: I ride the bike four miles, and the warning lamp comes on - the LED headlight is broken. Go back to dealer (should have been found when they ran a diagnostic test which was checked off on their service list as completed - obviously, it was pencil whipped)
5: Service manger apologizes again and promises to order parts. Tells me that they have "no training and experience on the new GS" Great.
6: Stop in 4 days later to check on parts progress, and find out that nothing has been ordered, because he was busy and "forgot" Then a technician who worked on the bike, walks into the shop, asks me whats wrong, so I tell him, and he calls me "fucking crazy" to my face, and walks away.
7: Blow a gasket - and lecture the service manager for 5 mins on customer service. He promises to overnight the parts.
8: Next day, Oil light comes on during ride - I check the oil level and its very low, after I paid for the 600 mile service. Great. Buy oil at my expense, and top it off.
9: Drop bike off to get new parts installed 1 week later, and the can't connect to the bike to find out what is really wrong with the LED headlight, since their computer software is "out of date"
10. Wait an extra 2 days so they can update their software.
11. Get a call, its not the headlight, its the controller - parts on order "should be here in a week" - overnighted from Germany Im told.
12. 1 week later, I call. No parts yet, but the new switchgear is here!!!
13. Pick up bike, discover its the wrong switchgear - meant for EU
14. Bike develops bad hesitation. Still no parts to fix headlight.
15. While riding, I discover the whole left handgrip is loose as hell, as well as the plastic guard. Check the bolt, and its finger tight and about to fall out, So i have to stop at Harbor Freight to buy a T45 star drive to tighten it. Nice

.....and this is only some of the story. Now, it has a bad hesitation, and do you think I trust them to fix it? No way. I'll take it to another shop. I'm still waiting for the LED controller to arrive. Once they install that, I will never step foot on the property again. This has been the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere, for a $20K bike, BMW can surely hold their dealers to a higher standard.

steelerider screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 08:20 PM Reason: Fix stuff.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplummer View Post
Yes it is worth getting upset about. I would too. 20k for a bike and they say "sorry, it's too new to get parts?" BMW is choosing to put the parts into their bikes to keep up to customer orders versus servicing existing ones. I love BMWs but they have surely have lowered their standards in customer service IMO. Tell them once they get the right controls, you'll trade them out for your wrong ones and ride it until they get them in
Very much so.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Thanks, I have tried that, as well as unplugging the ground from the battery to reset the ECM. No change. It happens when the engine is under load, for instance pulling out of a corner and opening the throttle wide open. As it hits 5k a heavy stumble / hesitation happens. The same as fuel starvation. Its either ignition or fuel. I can't tell you what an ordeal this has been with the dealer in question. Utter incompetence. Here is a brief rundown.
1: First, after the accident i was told that they would do a "complete teardown" and find every broken part, and replace it.
2: After 10 weeks of hounding and being a pain in their ass, (plus a call to BMW customer service) I was told the bike was ready, and the tech who did the repairs was "meticulous"
3: Pick up the bike - find that the clutch lever, reservoir, entire left switchgear was still damaged and had not been replaced with new parts. Mirror was also installed incorrectly, and swinging in the breeze. Service manager apologizes and "promises to get new parts on order right away" I also paid $230 for the 600 mile service while the bike was in the shop. I want to ride, so I take the bike home, and they promise to call when the parts come in.
4: I ride the bike four miles, and the warning lamp comes on - the LED headlight is broken. Go back to dealer (should have been found when they ran a diagnostic test which was checked off on their service list as completed - obviously, it was pencil whipped)
5: Service manger apologizes again and promises to order parts. Tells me that they have "no training and experience on the new GS" Great.
6: Stop in 4 days later to check on parts progress, and find out that nothing has been ordered, because he was busy and "forgot" Then a technician who worked on the bike, walks into the shop, asks me whats wrong, so I tell him, and he calls me "fucking crazy" to my face, and walks away.
7: Blow a gasket - and lecture the service manager for 5 mins on customer service. He promises to overnight the parts.
8: Next day, Oil light comes on during ride - I check the oil level and its very low, after I paid for the 600 mile service. Great. Buy oil at my expense, and top it off.
9: Drop bike off to get new parts installed 1 week later, and the can't connect to the bike to find out what is really wrong with the LED headlight, since their computer software is "out of date"
10. Wait an extra 2 days so they can update their software.
11. Get a call, its not the headlight, its the controller - parts on order "should be here in a week" - overnighted from Germany Im told.
12. 1 week later, I call. No parts yet, but the new switchgear is here!!!
13. Pick up bike, discover its the wrong switchgear - meant for EU
14. Bike develops bad hesitation. Still no parts to fix headlight.
15. While riding, I discover the whole left handgrip is loose as hell, as well as the plastic guard. Check the bolt, and its finger tight and about to fall out, So i have to stop at Harbor Freight to buy a T45 star drive to tighten it. Nice

.....and this is only some of the story. Now, it has a bad hesitation, and do you think I trust them to fix it? No way. I'll take it to another shop. I'm still waiting for the LED controller to arrive. Once they install that, I will never step foot on the property again. This has been the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere, for a $20K bike, BMW can surely hold their dealers to a higher standard.
You are the prince of patience. Hard to believe a BMW dealer would behave like that.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Switch

Im in Mexico and our bikes have the DRL switch. As I understand it, you can set up in the computer if you want Auto DRL, this means that the brightness of the DRL changes as the ambient light changes. Also if you go into a tunnel, it will turn DRL off and turn the Night light on and viceversa. The only function you can use the switch for is to turn the Night light on in the Day. I might be wrong.

Felipe