Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
Im in Mexico and our bikes have the DRL switch. As I understand it, you can set up in the computer if you want Auto DRL, this means that the brightness of the DRL changes as the ambient light changes. Also if you go into a tunnel, it will turn DRL off and turn the Night light on and viceversa. The only function you can use the switch for is to turn the Night light on in the Day. I might be wrong.

Felipe
For DRL: (in europe)
In the computer: DRL: auto or off

When in auto that button functions to override the auto setting and turn on the normal (night) light (or turn the auto function back on when it is off).

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
pplummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Thanks, I have tried that, as well as unplugging the ground from the battery to reset the ECM. No change. It happens when the engine is under load, for instance pulling out of a corner and opening the throttle wide open. As it hits 5k a heavy stumble / hesitation happens. The same as fuel starvation. Its either ignition or fuel. I can't tell you what an ordeal this has been with the dealer in question. Utter incompetence. Here is a brief rundown.
1: First, after the accident i was told that they would do a "complete teardown" and find every broken part, and replace it.
2: After 10 weeks of hounding and being a pain in their ass, (plus a call to BMW customer service) I was told the bike was ready, and the tech who did the repairs was "meticulous"
3: Pick up the bike - find that the clutch lever, reservoir, entire left switchgear was still damaged and had not been replaced with new parts. Mirror was also installed incorrectly, and swinging in the breeze. Service manager apologizes and "promises to get new parts on order right away" I also paid $230 for the 600 mile service while the bike was in the shop. I want to ride, so I take the bike home, and they promise to call when the parts come in.
4: I ride the bike four miles, and the warning lamp comes on - the LED headlight is broken. Go back to dealer (should have been found when they ran a diagnostic test which was checked off on their service list as completed - obviously, it was pencil whipped)
5: Service manger apologizes again and promises to order parts. Tells me that they have "no training and experience on the new GS" Great.
6: Stop in 4 days later to check on parts progress, and find out that nothing has been ordered, because he was busy and "forgot" Then a technician who worked on the bike, walks into the shop, asks me whats wrong, so I tell him, and he calls me "fucking crazy" to my face, and walks away.
7: Blow a gasket - and lecture the service manager for 5 mins on customer service. He promises to overnight the parts.
8: Next day, Oil light comes on during ride - I check the oil level and its very low, after I paid for the 600 mile service. Great. Buy oil at my expense, and top it off.
9: Drop bike off to get new parts installed 1 week later, and the can't connect to the bike to find out what is really wrong with the LED headlight, since their computer software is "out of date"
10. Wait an extra 2 days so they can update their software.
11. Get a call, its not the headlight, its the controller - parts on order "should be here in a week" - overnighted from Germany Im told.
12. 1 week later, I call. No parts yet, but the new switchgear is here!!!
13. Pick up bike, discover its the wrong switchgear - meant for EU
14. Bike develops bad hesitation. Still no parts to fix headlight.
15. While riding, I discover the whole left handgrip is loose as hell, as well as the plastic guard. Check the bolt, and its finger tight and about to fall out, So i have to stop at Harbor Freight to buy a T45 star drive to tighten it. Nice

.....and this is only some of the story. Now, it has a bad hesitation, and do you think I trust them to fix it? No way. I'll take it to another shop. I'm still waiting for the LED controller to arrive. Once they install that, I will never step foot on the property again. This has been the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere, for a $20K bike, BMW can surely hold their dealers to a higher standard.
Wow. I wouldn't own a BMW if my dealer was that bad. Thank God they are excellent. If BMW doesn't do anything, I'd tell the salesman to take his bike and sell it for you..LOL Maybe that will get their attention
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Do everyone a favor and let us know the name of your bad dealer so we can avoid them.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #19
Punchdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Do everyone a favor and let us know the name of your bad dealer so we can avoid them.
Yes..please let us know the dealer. I am in the Lancaster area and pretty sure I can guess which dealer you are referring to….but don't want to throw stones until I know for sure.
Punchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,203
You're not the only one in the U.S with the worthless DRL switch:

I took my bike in over cruise control issues, the dealer ordered new left switchgear, waited 3 weeks for the part to arrive, the dealer called me as soon as they noticed the extra button, I gave the go ahead for the install.

These switches are old stock, don't worry they'll crap out on you before long and you'll have to have them replaced again, mine are screwed up worse than the original set after just 2k miles.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
Despite my experience, I will behave in a gentlemanly manner by not publicly throwing their name all over the internet. However I will gladly PM anyone (as in Private message) the dealer info.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
You're not the only one in the U.S with the worthless DRL switch:

I took my bike in over cruise control issues, the dealer ordered new left switchgear, waited 3 weeks for the part to arrive, the dealer called me as soon as they noticed the extra button, I gave the go ahead for the install.

These switches are old stock, don't worry they'll crap out on you before long and you'll have to have them replaced again, mine are screwed up worse than the original set after just 2k miles.
Jet speed - thank you sir. At least I am not the only one!! Makes me feel better. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #23
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Jet speed - thank you sir. At least I am not the only one!! Makes me feel better. Thanks.
I guess that switch is OK to have, if the dealer would turn on the DRL feature
But they don't.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I guess that switch is OK to have, if the dealer would turn on the DRL feature
But they don't.
Have you tried looking in the setup config if you have a menu for DRL??

Felipe
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
Try to stay patient and ask for the proper sw gear to be ordered. It sounds like your bike is now ridable; so, let them replace with the proper housing.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Try to stay patient and ask for the proper sw gear to be ordered. It sounds like your bike is now ridable; so, let them replace with the proper housing.

Does the extra button really make any difference? Really?
I'm anal as hell and can't understand this logic.
If it works, I say ride the damn thing......that's what I did.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #27
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Does the extra button really make any difference? Really?
I'm anal as hell and can't understand this logic.
If it works, I say ride the damn thing......that's what I did.
I'm over it. The extra button doesn't bother me at this stage. Going back to the same dealer for yet another argument, another 3 weeks for parts etc, etc is just more than I can stomach at this point, especially after their tech told me I was fucking crazy. After they have installed the headlight controller, (still on order) I will cut my ties and never go back. I already have set up an appt with another dealer (whom I Trust) to fix the hesitation issue. They were friendly and helpful on the phone this am.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
JetSpeed
Naviator

You're probably at TA sales, never been there but understand they're not a spectacular store, I was in that neck last year and stopped at Velocity in Mechanicsburg for a minor repair, service and back tire and was treated most excellent.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #29
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Took the bike to Hermy's yesterday. They were helpful, and professional. The tech came out and asked if they could keep the bike for a few days, so they could troubleshoot the problem and fix it. He explained exactly what he was going to do, and he was able to re-produce the hesitation issue, which is good. Then they hooked me up with a loaner bike to get home.
What a difference.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
JetSpeed
Naviator

That's great!
Hopefully they'll get your bike sorted out quickly.