ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Muggins OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Help recommend off road tour / rental company

Hey hey...

Hope you mid-atlantic inmates can help me surprise my little bro with a kick ass bachelor party. Who's willing to shave their legs and jump out of a giant cake?!??

Better yet... can anyone recommend some off road tour companies, OHV areas and/or dirt bike rental outfits? My bro lives in Maryland but we're all willing to travel. There will be between 6-10 of us, all with pretty extensive dirt bike experience growing up but none of us currently own one... so I'd say intermediate level.

I think we'd be looking for a long weekend 2-3 night plan, more woods/enduro style rather than motocross parks or dirt/fire road 500 mile big-bike adventures. Most, if not all, of us will need to rent bikes & equipment too.

Thanks for your help!
Mugs
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,717
Here's a Compendium of USA Dual Sport Motorcycle Rental Companies

Places to ride dirt in MD:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=3

You might do better finding someplace that rents on-site bikes in Pennsylvania or West Virginia. They are more rural and more accepting and off-road friendly.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,892
Great idea! Don't tell the bride as I'm sure she would only have visions of her groom standing at the altar in a body cast. If I were planning something like this, I would look at Hatfield McCoy in WV.
I've never personally ridden there but have been dreaming of heading over ever since I first read about it. It would make a perfect bachelor adventure.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I second Hatfield-McCoy, but as far as I know the rentals available are ATVs, not motos (now I'm curious!).

It fits your "woods" request and rates are pretty reasonable for nearby cabins and lodging. The variety of terrain is also a bonus.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Muggins OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Thanks all. Hatfields looks awesome but only seems to rent ATV/side by side snoozers. However I found these guys that offer little Yammy 230s for rent, and some camping & cabin options - http://burningrockwv.com. Their rates page says $160 per day for the little 230s. Seems a bit steep but they do seem to have some sort of partnership with Hatfield so might be able to ride those trails too... waiting on response from Burning Rock as we speak.

Would still like to find a few more options. Anything else similar to Burning Rock that might have some more exciting bikes or better rates?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,841
Honda dealer in Crofton, MD. They rent street and dirt bikes, I think I remember them renting a dual sport, not sure of pricing.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Hey Muggins, just an FYI, holiday/travel insurance doesn't cover off-roading accidents!
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 683
Two good options for dirt riding in Georgia-

Highland park- about 1.5 hours from ATL airport, they rent 2014 ktm bikes (so you can try a few different options for varied skill levels), cabins to rent, and trails enough to last you a few days of exploring. Also part of ktm world. Good folks and excellent riding trails. Well marked and all trails are one way and rated 2-6 diamond for difficulty.

DurhamTown plantation is about 1.5 hours east of ATL and again cabins, bike rentals (not nearly as nice bikes but still good and a wider variety of bikes/atv's) and lots of trails.

Lastly would be in eastern Tennessee is an outfit that rents bigger DS bikes. I'm drawing a blank on the name but should be hard to find. Something like gsrent or something. Townsend tn? GS's, tenere, triumph etc.

More street oriented, check out riders hill in dahlonega GA they rent bikes and you can get rooms at Two Wheels do Suches.

If you have any questions about the areas or rides, PM me.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote