User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Wink GS 1150 ADV Engine upgrades?

Hi all - I am wondering what I can do to upgrade the powerplant on my 2003 GS ADV. I have refreshed and synced everything lately, and she is running strong, but I wouldn't mind a bit more power when loaded with panniers full, firewood, passenger, tents, etc.

Hi-comp pistons, fuel mapping, what is out there? She also blows a little blue on start up, so I am looking forward to fixing that too. Only 12k miles but maybe there was some corrosion in the cylinder(s) when she sat for a long time.

Thanks.
wicksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
jeveretts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I don't know anything about hopping it up. My goal is to not go so fast, but go very very far
As for the smoke, a lot of em burn a bit of oil, and tend to stop somewhere between 15-25k miles.
The inside of the cylinders are plated with nickasil and the rings are very hard. Tend to make ring seating take a pretty long time.
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,875
If you will be patient, your boxer motor will reward you with more power once you ad some miles, My 01 provided me with more hp at about 22,000 miles.

If you insist on engine mods, you have few options. I would start with more aggressive valve timing. Also, you might consider more displacement, titanium connecting rods and machining the rotating mass to make it lighter.

I would not mess with the CR.

Also, read roger04rt's writeup on wideband lambda and increased AFR.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Thanks - reading up. Has anyone used a "Booster Plug" and are the results at all noticeable?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,875
Just how much more power are you after? Or, do you really want better driveability, crisper throttle response and fewer engine flat spots?

I would strongly recommend you read Roger04rt's recent posts regarding altering the AFR across the engine RPM band.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksw View Post
Hi all - I am wondering what I can do to upgrade the powerplant on my 2003 GS ADV. I have refreshed and synced everything lately, and she is running strong, but I wouldn't mind a bit more power when loaded with panniers full, firewood, passenger, tents, etc.

Hi-comp pistons, fuel mapping, what is out there? She also blows a little blue on start up, so I am looking forward to fixing that too. Only 12k miles but maybe there was some corrosion in the cylinder(s) when she sat for a long time.

Thanks.
Nightrider.com produces a very good device(AF-XIED for BMW) that I specified for them. They sell it through Beemer boneyard too. It will increase the power, especially in the lower rpm range where it is most appreciated, and it will significantly improve throttle response. I'm friends with the owner of BoosterPlug and he added a lambda shifter line mine (LC-1) to his bike. You can read about it here: R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project starting at post 145. There are many interesting charts and graphs in the thread.
RB
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #7
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Or you can install a set of Lennie's sprockets, instead of the OEM's ones. I have and like the effect. So do others that I installed them on, and you'll get a lot of positive reviews on this forum about them.

Not so hard to install and the effect is clearly felt.

No affiliations.

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I added Lennie's sprockets to my 01 1150GS and am very happy with the result. They don't actually add more power, per se, but they move the torque band lower in the rev range, as I understand it. The result is my bike pulls strongly and easily from a stop, even 2-up and loaded (which is exactly the result I was looking for). Much more so than before the change. I barely have to feather the clutch. It will also pull along off road at barely above idle, like a tractor, and ride comfortably at a lower RPM range when cruising (allowing me to put it in a higher gear).

It flattens out a little sooner at the high end, but for me that trade off is perfect, as it is the low end where I need the power for everyday use.

There are some long threads with people posting their results.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
wicksw OP
Adventurer

THanks gents - I just ordered the Rocket Sprockets. I didn't have a chance to specify model/year though - are they all the same?

So, is a Booster Plug or a "Nightrider" injection mod better to pair with that? Or are they the same?

Also, has anyone used these pistons? http://www.jetprime.it/en/prodotti/m...1150-1200.html

wicksw screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 11:23 AM
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
What are Lennies sprockets? I have an 01 R1150GS with 61K miles I bought used. I have put 20 miles on it before before taking it apart to service it before taking it on a trip through the high country. While riding it I noticed the off idle torque was very light and first gear was a little tall for my needs so I bought a 34/11 Final drive which should make first gear more useable and give the bike some more torque. I also purchased one of poolsides IICE AIR devices which should solve all of the off idle lean feel in the carberation. Otherwise I think this engine makes huge torque and considering BMW's clutch design adding more power could result in unwanted drivetrain problems.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
THanks gents - I just ordered the Rocket Sprockets. I didn't have a chance to specify model/year though - are they all the same?
There is only one version, and the bikes it works on, it works on, which I think is all oilheads, but I know includes the 1150 engine.
2001 BMW R1150GS
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
What are Lennies sprockets? I have an 01 R1150GS with 61K miles I bought used. I have put 20 miles on it before before taking it apart to service it before taking it on a trip through the high country. While riding it I noticed the off idle torque was very light and first gear was a little tall for my needs so I bought a 34/11 Final drive which should make first gear more useable and give the bike some more torque. I also purchased one of poolsides IICE AIR devices which should solve all of the off idle lean feel in the carberation. Otherwise I think this engine makes huge torque and considering BMW's clutch design adding more power could result in unwanted drivetrain problems.
See: http://www.boxer-performance.com/

Also, do a search in this forum. There is a long thread on them.

The light off-idle torque was the reason I sought these out, and they definitely solved that issue on my bike. YMMV of course. And the abillity to move the bike just off idle makes the first gear seem less tall. No connection to the maker of these. Just a satisfied customer.
2001 BMW R1150GS
Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Question

Which of these do I want? It is a 2003 GSA 1150 that will have the cam sprockets installed, an open exhaust (no cat) with a Remus muffler. Stock air box.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/iiceair.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BoosterPlug-...5a3128&vxp=mtr

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

http://sales.nightrider.com/BMW_upgrades.html
Old 11-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Which of these do I want? It is a 2003 GSA 1150 that will have the cam sprockets installed, an open exhaust (no cat) with a Remus muffler. Stock air box.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/iiceair.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BoosterPlug-...5a3128&vxp=mtr

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

http://sales.nightrider.com/BMW_upgrades.html
I'll chime in here. The AF-XiED unit is the far better choice and works really well with the cam sprockets. Of course I think you should get it from us a Beemerboneyard but I am biased...... The Booster plug or ICE AIR is not needed if you use an AF-XiED. I have the sprocket and AF-XiED combo on my R1100RS and it pulls like a tractor from low RPM and still revs out fine. The real world increase in torque and mid range HP is dramatic compared to stock. You won't regret it.
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:

Thanks.
Easiest way to get more power is to sell the 1150 and get a 1200. Demand for the 1150 is still strong (some folks just like heavier,slower bikes more ) so if you look around you could break even.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote