Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
What is the difference between the IICE AIR and the AF-XiED besides $125.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
That is a long answer, please read the post Roger linked to in post #6 of this thread. More info there than you can imagine.

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks Mike, ordered that one.

I don't like the new ones. Sparing no expense to make the older one into best possible setup. Too much sci-fi movie prop in the design for me. ;)
wicksw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
billbeemer
bozo on bus

Oddometer: 122
true dat, mike

listen to mike at the boneyard. my 1150 is a totally different bike after installing the af-xied. it pulls like a banshee and all the pinging is gone. also the lugging is gone right off idle and i can cruise at 2800 in 6th gear. best $220 i ever spent.
billbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Did you do the cam sprockets too? Can't wait to try the tweaks...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
+1 for the sprockets and Boosterplug combo. Did it on my 02 1150 and love it
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
There's a pretty big difference: air temp is simply an input to fueling; the O2 sensor is the control of fueling.

As Mike mentioned if you've got the time there's a lot of detail here: R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project.

Here is an explanation I made a while back, see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
A way to think of this is to compare getting the best running engine to getting a room perfectly comfortable. The engine has a lot of sensors that its computer uses to calculate how much fuel it needs to run well.

On the the engine there's an air temperature sensor and another is the exhaust oxygen sensor. To heat a room you could have an outside thermometer and a thermostat. So in the analogy, the thjermometer is the air inlet temperature sensor and thermostat is the oxygen sensor.

The thermometer tells you it's cold outside, add some heat, but the thermostat tells the furnace that the room is at the temperature you want or not, and to turn the burner on or off. In the same way, the IAT shifting device like a BoosterPlug can tell the engine computer the air is colder, use more fuel. The problem is that the oxygen sensor is just like the thermostat. It decides how much fuel is enough. So unless you can change the thermostat the room won't get warmer and in the case of the engine the mixture won't get richer.

Now to complicate things, the government has said something like, "the perfect room temperature in the winter is 64 degrees F". For our engines, the EPA has dictated that engines have to burn exactly 1 pound of fuel for every 14.7 lbs of air--no more, no less (with exceptions for a cold start or acceleration). The oxygen sensor makes sure that no matter what any other sensor says, you burn air and fuel in that 14.7 to one ratio. It's like a thermostat that can only be set to 64 degrees.

So the LC-1 or AF-XIED for BMW are thermostats with a dial. You can select the amount of fuel to burn per pound of air, rather than accepting the amount mandated by the government. Turn the thermostat to 70 degrees and stop shivering, turn the XIED to 14.1 or 13.8 and stop surging.

But remember, on the public roads, only 14.7 is legal. Don't touch that dial.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Crap, just got this one from MotoFab I must have ordered back in May. Now I have that one and the one from Boneyard...which one will work better?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #24
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksw View Post
Crap, just got this one from MotoFab I must have ordered back in May. Now I have that one and the one from Boneyard...which one will work better?
Which two do you have? BoosterPlug from motofab and AF-XIED from Beemer boneyard?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
There's a pretty big difference: air temp is simply an input to fueling; the O2 sensor is the control of fueling.

As Mike mentioned if you've got the time there's a lot of detail here: R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project.

Here is an explanation I made a while back, see if it helps.
From what i read the IICE is also adjustable via jumper wire. Considering that both of these devices plug in between the air box sensor and the connecter wires to the ECU it would seem that they modify the same information. Do they not?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #26
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I also sell a large bore carbon intake for the GS/RS/R that removes the restriction on the intake side and allows th bike to rev freely. I cannot work out how to upload a photo here as it requires a url link.

Life is always good
lennie@boxer-performance.com
www.boxer-performance.com
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #27
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
From what i read the IICE is also adjustable via jumper wire. Considering that both of these devices plug in between the air box sensor and the connecter wires to the ECU it would seem that they modify the same information. Do they not?
No, you have that wrong. The IICE does connect to the air temp sensor while the AF-XiED connects to the O2 sensor. Completely different deal. Read Rogers analogy to a room thermostat in the post above.

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the explanation. I understand a little better now. The air box sensor is a air temp sensor. Will the IICE COOL be the same as the AF-XiED?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I understand a little better now. The air box sensor is a air temp sensor. Will the IICE COOL be the same as the AF-XiED?
No idea what the IICE Cool is going to be or if it will ever be at all. Been talked about for a couple years now but so far nothing. That is somewhat of a part time effort so not sure what the status is.

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #30
wicksw OP
Adventurer

Yes: IICE Air from MotoFAB and an AF-XIED from Beemer boneyard. I am assuming I should not install them both. Seems like I'll go with the AF-XIED...

Curious about intake mod...