User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
oil cooled vs water cooler offroad!

For any of you who have ridden them both offroad, could you give me some input on the differences, likes and dislikes on either. I have a 2011 r1200gs and I'm looking at the new model. I read one article comparing them but looking for people who have experienced them both offroad in more technical slow stuff, not just dirt roads. Thanks Tried to edit the cooler to cooled but it wouldn't let me so no need to comment about that!
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
When my 2011 R1200GS was fairly new (less than 600 mi) I rode it for 10 miles, off-road, never getting out of first gear and seldom above 2500 rpm and the temp gauge may have gone up one bar on a day when the temps were in the high 80s/low 90s.

Now, what do I mean by off road? This was in mildly hilly, grass-covered territory, but there were no rough hill climbs, or mud, or deep sand, and only moderate clutch-slipping. I was worried how this, new to me, 1200cc oil-cooled engine would hold up on a hot day with less than a 40mph breeze coming through the oil cooler. Two words: No. Problem.

IMHO, the only shortcoming the bike exhibited was the need for a lower first gear. Even in my Enduro days, I avoided slipping the clutch as much as I could -- hated the smell of an overheated wet clutch.

As for the wethead, I expect it to perform at least as well, and perhaps even better under the same conditions.
GrouchyGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
The LC can traverse deeper water if you're into that sort of thing.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
For any of you who have ridden them both offroad, could you give me some input on the differences, likes and dislikes on either. I have a 2011 r1200gs and I'm looking at the new model. I read one article comparing them but looking for people who have experienced them both offroad in more technical slow stuff, not just dirt roads. Thanks Tried to edit the cooler to cooled but it wouldn't let me so no need to comment about that!
you mean some sort of "comparison" between the two bikes in a technical off road environment?

comparing gearing, stability, traction, suspension and overall HOW they handle the off roading aspect? for instance if one comes across as smoother and more tractable at slower speeds or handles off camber and/or sandy dunes and or mud? perhaps how the suspension and handling deals with woops and rutted trails blasting through the desert? etc etc...

nope, sorry can't help.
KoolBreeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Ive had a '07 and now my '13. The enduro mode in the ride modes truky makes a huge difference in how the suspension and the throttle reacts. That alone makes it much easier to ride in technical stuff. The suspension reacts very well offroad in enduro.

Otherwise they are both big heavy lumbering beasts in tight technical riding. They can be fun and an be capable but most often id guess the riders ability will be a far bigger issue. They require lots of finesse or the weight will win. In my case, I usually lose but I have fun trying.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Otherwise they are both big heavy lumbering beasts in tight technical riding. They can be fun and an be capable but most often id guess the riders ability will be a far bigger issue. They require lots of finesse or the weight will win. In my case, I usually lose but I have fun trying.

IMHO technical off-road and a 1200Gs are not compatible. That doesn't mean it can't be done. You can travel from LosAngles to San Francisco on a skate board, but you can have a more enjoyable experience if you use a more reasonable mode of transportation. People have taken these bikes everywhere, and I take my hat off to them, but....
GrouchyGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
backroadbill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
GS off road...

I rode my 08GS at about 10 enduro rallies, some times harder than others, did some hero loops where the guys on singles thought I was nuts. It's more work, but I enjoy it. Plus I ride the bike there with camping gear (no trailering). Just got a 2013GS, 1 week, 900 miles street, 10 miles gravel....not sure about off road yet but I think it'll be just as good if not better. I had an HP2 enduro for about 20,000mi, was better off road but not as good as a commuter.

The new GS feels close to the same hp to weight and the HP2

My 2013 has no ESA, traction control or drive modes.....wanted to keep it simple (and put Ohlins on it in a year or two).
backroadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
Had a chance last weekend to do a bit more technical type riding with the GSW (at least as technical as I was going to get with stock tires and no crash protection). On smooth hard pack dirt roads, the GSW is better than my old 2007 GS with Ohlins. Front end feel is improved and it really sticks well even on schetchy slippery turns. Then the traction control let's you get on the gas early and it all works very well. However, in the more technical rocky stuff, I find the older bike with it's tractor engine, smoother throttle response, and skinnier tires, made it a bit easier to pick through rougher terrain.

Then there's washboard sections which we have a ton of here in SoCal. The GSW Dynamic suspension works beautifully up to a point. If the washboard section isn't too long or the bumps too big, it goes over this stuff like it's not even there.Once the washboard gets really nasty though, all hell breaks loose. It seems the shocks valving or the ecu can't keep up and and just locks, then the bike turns into a jack hammer. Admittedly, my Ohlins had trouble on this type of nasty washboard too, but I was hoping Dynamic suspension would be the miracle cure.

I was running in Eduro and Enduro Pro and testing all the damping settings too. Overall, I'd say the GSW Dynamic suspension is slightly better than the Ohlins off road, but still you have to ride within reason, or be extremely skilled.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote