User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Georgia - Armenia

Planning next summer with my GS1150 a trip to Georgia and Armenia.... needed some advices and tips of any sort. Also, anyone visited Omalo in Caucasus, high elevation village which reports say that the road leading there is quite tough etc etc.

Happy Riding
EuBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 469
I went thru Georgia and Armenia in 2011 on my Dakar. Travel is pretty easy, although Georgia is more developed and a bit easier. I am a US citizen, so I got my Georgia visa at the border and I got my Armenia one before I left. Keep in mind that an Armenian visa in your passport will make Azerbaijan off-limits to you. They asked me at the border if I wanted it pasted into my passport for that reason. Check their respective embassy site for current information for your nationality. Ditto for current information for what areas are off limits in Georgia to travelers.

From Armenia I visited Nagorno-Karabakh. You are very limited to where you can go, but it was interesting to see a country that not that long ago was in process of being destroyed.

For GPS maps go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Lots of interesting places to visit in both countries.

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I went thru Georgia and Armenia in 2011 on my Dakar. Travel is pretty easy, although Georgia is more developed and a bit easier. I am a US citizen, so I got my Georgia visa at the border and I got my Armenia one before I left. Keep in mind that an Armenian visa in your passport will make Azerbaijan off-limits to you. They asked me at the border if I wanted it pasted into my passport for that reason. Check their respective embassy site for current information for your nationality. Ditto for current information for what areas are off limits in Georgia to travelers.

From Armenia I visited Nagorno-Karabakh. You are very limited to where you can go, but it was interesting to see a country that not that long ago was in process of being destroyed.

For GPS maps go to garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Lots of interesting places to visit in both countries.

KP
knew the issue with the visas, EU citizen so same rues apply for me. Will get the maps from your link.

Thanks a lot KP
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
beebeer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I visited Georgia and Armenia this year. Iím a UK citizen, so no need for a visa for Georgia or Armenia. If youíre from the EU the same should apply, I think? They donít offer bike insurance at the border of Georgia because you can travel in the country without insurance. I did enquire about buying some insurance in Batumi but the minimum period was a month and it was too expensive, so I didnít bother. You can get cheap bike insurance for Armenia at the border.
Heading home I got a ferry from Batumi to Odessa, which should have taken 3-4 days but ended up taking a week after anchoring for 2.5 days waiting to refuel off Russia! They obviously knew this was going to happen but it wasnít in their interest to let us know!
I had a great time and they are very hospitable people, it will be even better when they learn to drive!

beebeer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
We did the same trip this summer, going from Estonia through Russia to Georgia and Armenia. No problems with visas and to get real taste of these countties, definately choose routes away from main roads!
I will write a trip report soon, but it will take some time before I can find time to start this.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeer54 View Post
I visited Georgia and Armenia this year. Iím a UK citizen, so no need for a visa for Georgia or Armenia. If youíre from the EU the same should apply, I think? They donít offer bike insurance at the border of Georgia because you can travel in the country without insurance. I did enquire about buying some insurance in Batumi but the minimum period was a month and it was too expensive, so I didnít bother. You can get cheap bike insurance for Armenia at the border.
Heading home I got a ferry from Batumi to Odessa, which should have taken 3-4 days but ended up taking a week after anchoring for 2.5 days waiting to refuel off Russia! They obviously knew this was going to happen but it wasnít in their interest to let us know!
I had a great time and they are very hospitable people, it will be even better when they learn to drive!

Yes, EU citizen as well. Copied all your notes which are helpful of course. Will be at that time in Cyprus travelling and then enter Turkey, i know it would be far better to the black sea routing. From what i saw on your map, you just paased by Georgia and Armenia so you dont have any further advices for places of interest or any other tips. Basically i need more info about the area/village Omalo on the Caucasian range which the info i got its a very high altitude place with a very bad road leading up there and seems really tough to ride to.
Anyhow, much appreciated your notes beebeer54

Happy riding
Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
We did the same trip this summer, going from Estonia through Russia to Georgia and Armenia. No problems with visas and to get real taste of these countties, definately choose routes away from main roads!
I will write a trip report soon, but it will take some time before I can find time to start this.
Thanks for your info given...always when travelling secondary roads are used so as you said you get the best out of each country.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuBiker View Post
knew the issue with the visas, EU citizen so same rues apply for me. Will get the maps from your link.

Thanks a lot KP
Got the maps KP, really helpful your suggestion otheriwse was thinking spending 200 euros or more for those. Had some issues setting them on basemap but finally all went well.

Great advice
Old 11-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
For Georgia - you can see my previous trip report to find information about Omalo http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728911 (from my signature)
Basically, no difficulties to get to Omalo, even regular car can do that. Only problems could be if you are afraid of heights, because there's no roadside barriers of any kind.

randel screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 03:10 AM
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
EuBiker OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
For Georgia - you can see my previous trip report to find information about Omalo http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728911 (from my signature)
Basically, no difficulties to get to Omalo, even regular car can do that. Only problems could be if you are afraid of heights, because there's no roadside barriers of any kind.

Thanks randel for the info, will check your link for sure

Happy riding