User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
crushing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Was stuck in 4th gear. Thoughts?

On my ride home from work today, I tried shifting from 5th gear to 6th gear. However, it just whizzed and went back to 5th probably because I wasn't in gear all the way before accelerating. Attempting to re-shift to 6th, I realized the the shifter lever was stuck.

The clutch lever action seemed normal with proper resistant when pulling back. So, I didn't think it was the slave cylinder. After many attempts to shift/move the shifter lever, I was finally able to unstick the shift lever and change gears normally again. So thoughts on what caused this and if this indicates a mechanical problem?

Much thanks!

I did a quick Google search with no results.

Current bike stats:
'04 KTM 950 Adventure
just shy of 40,0000 miles
Sigutech clutch slave w/20,0000+ miles
10w50 Motorex engine oil

*title should read 5th not 4th

crushing screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:36 AM
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
bajamcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Time to pull the drain the coolant, remove the clutch cover and have a look at the shift star, detent arm and shift spring. could be that one of the pins on the shift star has worked loose and is not moving the shift drum properly. HTH
bajamcguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,266
Check the Shift Arresting Coupler, part #600.34.015.044.

Remove the clutch basket for access.

Been known faulty on several.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hift+arresting
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Stuck

Just hope it isn't the shift drum,good luck!
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
crushing OP
Adventurer

bajamcguide and dlrides - Thanks so much for your fast responses and suggestions! These will be good starting places for me to begin troubleshooting.

sstewart - Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping the issue won't be too costly and that I'm able to fix it will my limited moto maintenance experience!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Can be checked by laying bike on its side and remove cover for the oil screen and the screen:

Did that before heading for Russia last summer.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushing View Post
bajamcguide and dlrides - Thanks so much for your fast responses and suggestions! These will be good starting places for me to begin troubleshooting.

sstewart - Thanks for the well wishes. I'm hoping the issue won't be too costly and that I'm able to fix it will my limited moto maintenance experience!

I remember the cost being $35-$40.

Do a search in this forum for "Shift Arresting Coupler" and you find several threads.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
crushing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Can be checked by laying bike on its side and remove cover for the oil screen and the screen:

/Johan
Johan - Thanks for a good tip that doesn't require breaking into the engine! I was excited to try it this morning. To my dismay, all the pins seemed nicely recessed in the shift arresting coupler. I suppose it can still be faulty...but I'll have to dig deeper. Ugh. And I was hoping to ride in Baja next week

Here are more symptoms of my issue which may help with the diagnosis: I don't know why, but I thought the problem would resolve itself. Trying to change gears from 5th to 6th, 6th gear doesn't engage at speed. It just whizzes. And the shifter lever managed to get stuck again.

crushing screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 08:44 AM
Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
crushing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
I remember the cost being $35-$40.

Do a search in this forum for "Shift Arresting Coupler" and you find several threads.
dlrides - Thanks again! I see you have first hand knowledge of this issue. Are special tools required to remove the clutch plates and baskets etc. to access the shift arresting coupler (SAC)? The service manual is vague. I'm still not discounting the SAC.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
bajamcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
To drain the coolant and remove the large clutch cover,( you will need to replace the gasket, about $16) only takes about 30 minutes. then you can lay under the bike and have a good look at the shifting mechanism that is behind the clutch basket.
If you drain the oil from the crankcase you can put the bike on the center stand, and rotate the rear wheel and move the shift lever to help see what is going on
I have seen on one bike, that the part of the shift lever that moves the star, had a crack near the weld and only worked in the down shift direction.
on some older 950 there was a problem where the shift drum ( inside the cases) broke where the shift fork bearings rode in. But this caused problems( false neutrals) between5 and 6.
good luck, and hope you make it to Baja
bajamcguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
The only real special tool that you need is a way to remove the inner clutch hub nut. If you have an old clutch plate lying around, weld a handle to it and off ya go. Another way is to bolt an inner and and outer plate together (drill holes, etc). Also, Motion Pro sells a tool that looks like a oversize pair of vise grips, to grab the basket:

But having said all that, your symptoms are remarkably similar to the ones I experienced when my shift drum lost a chunk (the episode that sstewart refers to http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840114), and your bike is early enough you might have the weak part in your bike.

Good luck, buddy.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
I´ve lost my 6th 5 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVazqoZVZY

at 2:57
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
...and this is how it looked when i dropped the oil.

I ran another good 4-5000km after this just without the 6th.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
crushing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamcguide View Post
To drain the coolant and remove the large clutch cover,( you will need to replace the gasket, about $16) only takes about 30 minutes. then you can lay under the bike and have a good look at the shifting mechanism that is behind the clutch basket.
If you drain the oil from the crankcase you can put the bike on the center stand, and rotate the rear wheel and move the shift lever to help see what is going on
I have seen on one bike, that the part of the shift lever that moves the star, had a crack near the weld and only worked in the down shift direction.
on some older 950 there was a problem where the shift drum ( inside the cases) broke where the shift fork bearings rode in. But this caused problems( false neutrals) between5 and 6.
good luck, and hope you make it to Baja
bajamcguide - Thanks for the brief guide and introducing something else to look for. I'll crack open the clutch cover post-work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
The only real special tool that you need is a way to remove the inner clutch hub nut. If you have an old clutch plate lying around, weld a handle to it and off ya go. Another way is to bolt an inner and and outer plate together (drill holes, etc). Also, Motion Pro sells a tool that looks like a oversize pair of vise grips, to grab the basket:

But having said all that, your symptoms are remarkably similar to the ones I experienced when my shift drum lost a chunk (the episode that sstewart refers to http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840114), and your bike is early enough you might have the weak part in your bike.

Good luck, buddy.
Motomedic - Just perused your link! I almost vomited just thinking about having to split my case. I seriously hope it's not a shift drum.

crushing screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 11:40 AM
Old 11-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
crushing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
I´ve lost my 6th 5 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVazqoZVZY

at 2:57
Locul - Such sweet riding! I was trying to compare the sound your bike made and mine. I think, or rather hope, it's different. Sounded like a wrench was thrown in your engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
...and this is how it looked when i dropped the oil.

I ran another good 4-5000km after this just without the 6th.
What happened? Hmmm...maybe I'll just go as far as 5th and pretend everything is okay