Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 AM   #16
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
Did it for the first time this year and loved it, so I'm in. Giving my Rally Moto kitted KTM it's first competitive outing...!
How's it looking, Sequent? I need to rebuild my top end but after that I'd be up for a few training runs out Murray Sunset area, in Adv mode with a swag, box of matches and a tin of beans. Should have the job done within the month, if I can find the right machinist to fix an issue with the new s/h head.

NRY, look forward to meeting yourself and some of the Eastern States ADVriders. Am hoping to have a tidier dash and tail area before the event. I think the bike deserves a bit of race prep. It's a heavy bugger to keep picking up as well, so if I can whittle it down as I sharpen it up, I'd be very happy.

With this event, do you need to be a MA Affiliated club member and hold a National Race Licence, or do they issue One Event licences for it?
What's the usual schedule for the weekend, as far as the pre-event processes of sign-on and scrutineering, briefing and then qualifying go?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
nry OP

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
With this event, do you need to be a MA Affiliated club member and hold a National Race Licence, or do they issue One Event licences for it?
What's the usual schedule for the weekend, as far as the pre-event processes of sign-on and scrutineering, briefing and then qualifying go?
Yep you need to be a club member then get a national licence. No "one event" licences, I think at least one got turned away last year due to that.

Friday you ride your bike up to the Main Street and sign yourself up and get you road books then after push your bike through a que of other competitors and get the bike checked over. After that you park up and grab some food etc before marking up your book before bed.

Next morning you all line up at the gate to leave the showground and make your way to the prologue location at timed intervals. Once there it's the usual, wait till your time then go in to the time control, hand over your card, get it back, put it away and then get counted down...

It's somewhat exciting

The actual schedule is set out on the website too.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #18
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Yes (club) and yes (national licence), no one day licences unfortunately.

This year, and I think it'll be the same next year, they had scrutineering and sign in on friday arvo/night and a short prologe on the sat morning then racing straight away. You'll need to post your entry forms and fee in a couple of months beforehand.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Yep you need to be a club member then get a national licence. No "one event" licences, I think at least one got turned away last year due to that.

Friday you ride your bike up to the Main Street and sign yourself up and get you road books then after push your bike through a que of other competitors and get the bike checked over. After that you park up and grab some food etc before marking up your book before bed.

Next morning you all line up at the gate to leave the showground and make your way to the prologue location at timed intervals. Once there it's the usual, wait till your time then go in to the time control, hand over your card, get it back, put it away and then get counted down...

It's somewhat exciting

or for a betrer explaination see above....

michael1968 screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 03:17 AM
Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #20
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Now there's an interesting statement ! Are you going to retire the funduro and get a 450 ?
Retire is such a strong word, lets say it'll move onto a role more befitting its tallents...

I'm leaning towards a 530, I'd love a 500 exc but I can get a decent 530 for about half the price. I'm not quite set on that though, it'll be a few months before I pull the trigger so I'll see what good deals come up.

Or I might run out of time and end up running the funduro again, it's even got 5 working gears now!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #21
Sundowner
Bort

Quote:
It's somewhat exciting

Cheers mate. I'll check it out once the event gets closer and Supp Regs are posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Yes (club) and yes (national licence), no one day licences unfortunately.

This year, and I think it'll be the same next year, they had scrutineering and sign in on friday arvo/night and a short prologe on the sat morning then racing straight away. You'll need to post your entry forms and fee in a couple of months beforehand.
No worries. Sounds like a fuss free event.
Any hints on what the track usually has in store terrain wise? I'm guessing fast and flowing rather than tight and technical?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Cheers mate. I'll check it out once the event gets closer and Supp Regs are posted.

No worries. Sounds like a fuss free event.
Any hints on what the track usually has in store terrain wise? I'm guessing fast and flowing rather than tight and technical?
A bit of both really, the orgaisers try to mix it up a bit but yeah its more open than a typical tail ride I'd say.

There were some real single track sections with a lot of bulldust last time, those were pretty tough.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
Sundowner
Bort

Quote:
There were some real single track sections with a lot of bulldust last time
Do the cars do a different course or did you mean single vehicle (ie, two wheel ruts) track?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
nry OP

Quote:
Retire is such a strong word, lets say it'll move onto a role more befitting its tallents...
you're going to use it as a boat anchor ?

Don't leave it too late only four and a half months to go !
I've been busy in the bike transfer market, honing my haggling skills
Old 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #25
nry OP

Quote:
Do the cars do a different course or did you mean single vehicle (ie, two wheel ruts) track?
The cars and bikes swap tracks on the Sunday but I'm pretty sure the bikes still do sections on both days that the cars don't. I can recall sections too tight for cars soft sand and another that was loose stones.
Lots of nice open stuff too.

As a point of reference John Hudson punted his 950 through "last year" quicker than most and don't forget the side car boys they too were travelling well until their oil line went.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
you're going to use it as a boat anchor ?

Don't leave it too late only four and a half months to go !
I've been busy in the bike transfer market, honing my haggling skills
Nah, the navy said they couldn't use it as a boat anchor, to heavy.

I saw you got rid of the 640, you didn't drop the cash on one of those GHR Honda's did you?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Fogo72
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,436
Just a bit worried about the rego for the 700. Last time I was there they had a couple of CanAm quads doing it, so I spose they had the unregisted vehicle permit. Just worried due to the frame we are using being a repaired write off which on the RTA website says it cant be registed , but can if it has been inspected, which it has, I called the RTA and a guy said it should be OK, I sure hope he is right, so what about an unregisted vehicle permit for this bike. On the Condo website it says that the vehicle must have all working rego bits and pieces, blinkers? Horn? I have never seen a photo a Todd Smiths bike with blinkers! ????
Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
......... I'd be up for a few training runs out Murray Sunset area, in Adv mode with a swag, box of matches and a tin of beans.

giz a yell when your heading out and i'll see if i cant strap a can o beans to me bike and punt out for a night....

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
How's it looking, Sequent? I need to rebuild my top end but after that I'd be up for a few training runs out Murray Sunset area, in Adv mode with a swag, box of matches and a tin of beans. Should have the job done within the month, if I can find the right machinist to fix an issue with the new s/h head.
Ha, bike hasn't changed much, still in bits, but all the parts are here, all the fabrication has been completed, suspension done, wheels built, so just needs to be reassembled.

Keen to go back to the Murray Sunset NP though, so let me know when you're thinking and we'll make it happen....
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogo72 View Post
Just a bit worried about the rego for the 700. Last time I was there they had a couple of CanAm quads doing it, so I spose they had the unregisted vehicle permit. Just worried due to the frame we are using being a repaired write off which on the RTA website says it cant be registed , but can if it has been inspected, which it has, I called the RTA and a guy said it should be OK, I sure hope he is right, so what about an unregisted vehicle permit for this bike. On the Condo website it says that the vehicle must have all working rego bits and pieces, blinkers? Horn? I have never seen a photo a Todd Smiths bike with blinkers! ????
Cheers Fogo...
You can get an unregistered vehicle permit for the event if all else fails.

I believe you do need all the rego gear, especially the front and rear lights as it can get dusty etc. That said the scrutineers told me to take off my mirrors so they don't get smashed.