Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchaser View Post
I'll be there. ............. That's if I ever heal up from last years
On two or four wheels?
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #78
nry OP

Oddometer: 1,334
Any CRF45OX riders in the market for for a 14 litre safari tank (black) or an 18 litre acerbis clear ?
I don't need them.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #79
cowchaser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm a slow learner I'll give the 690 another run
Busted ass old TRX700XX
Oh and my Dakar finishers medal
cowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #80
nry OP

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchaser View Post
I'm a slow learner I'll give the 690 another run
good stuff !
Slow learner here too. Makes life more interesting
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #81
Ianbmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Yeah I will probably give it another go as well. Look forward to meeting some of you guys this time.

I am looking at selling my manual F2R roadbook if anybody is interested. It was okay for a first go but think the electric ones may help me a bit more this time round.

Did any of you guys use the electric ones? Just wondering how they went and what types were used. There's a TT one for sale on the Flea market for $400 which I am thinking about.

Ian
Ianbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #82
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianbmw View Post
Yeah I will probably give it another go as well. Look forward to meeting some of you guys this time.

I am looking at selling my manual F2R roadbook if anybody is interested. It was okay for a first go but think the electric ones may help me a bit more this time round.

Did any of you guys use the electric ones? Just wondering how they went and what types were used. There's a TT one for sale on the Flea market for $400 which I am thinking about.

Ian
Can't comment about the TT ones, but I ran an F2R electric (730 model) in two Safaris and this year's Condo, and it never missed a beat - I'd highly recommend them, but also note that most people use the MD roadblocks, and so you'll need to bring your own spare rings etc, as you may not be able to scab parts off other people.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #83
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:

Ian
avoid the TT ones the gears jam and the electrics go, MD or F2R are best
Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #84
Ianbmw
Adventurer

Thanks guys, looks like I can get the F2R ones from RR for close to $400 anyway. I will do some searching and see if I can get one locally.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #85
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Thanks guys, looks like I can get the F2R ones from RR for close to $400 anyway. I will do some searching and see if I can get one locally.
Try Rally Management Services in the US (they can put a nav package together too) or go direct to the F2R website and buy it from the manufacturer. I've done that a few times and always found their service great.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #86
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
Try Rally Management Services in the US (they can put a nav package together too) or go direct to the F2R website and buy it from the manufacturer. I've done that a few times and always found their service great.
yep, by far the best price I found for the f2r was on their website.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #87
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,434
Quote:

Ian
I was going to get a manual one because I doubt I'll get to use it after Condo and can't really justify the outlay for an electric one if I'm only using it once.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #88
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Another thumbs up for dealing with f2r directly. When i bought mine he had the offer of a discount if three or more were purchased. Might be worth seeing if anyone else wants to buy at the same time.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:02 AM   #89
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Another thumbs up for dealing with f2r directly. When i bought mine he had the offer of a discount if three or more were purchased. Might be worth seeing if anyone else wants to buy at the same time.
Are you going to be using said f2r next year Mr Gany? Time to take it out of the wrapping I think
Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #90
Ianbmw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I was going to get a manual one because I doubt I'll get to use it after Condo and can't really justify the outlay for an electric one if I'm only using it once.
I know what you mean but if I had just bought the electric one last year I wouldn't now be losing money selling a manual one. If I could sort out a few of the problems I would stick to what I have. The biggest problem was that it would creep forward. This may have been because the bracket was a bit flimsy. I would have to wind it backwards for ages to counter it and then it would bind up.

The actual winding wasn't a problem because mostly you could pick smoother places to wind it on. If it was rough and I needed to advance it I would rest my forearm on the bars to wind it. (maybe I should spend my money on a steering dampner instead)

I would like to go out and experiment with roll sizes and what have you but I came off my bike on Saturday and have broken a bone in my hand so will be in plaster for a while.

Thanks guys for the info on going through F2R directly. I got a fright when I saw the price then realised you take the VAT off. I presume it is better to go for the 750 over the 730 if I am forking out that sort of money anyway.

Ian