Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
stewie100
soon to be andventur

Oddometer: 132
I really like reading this forum, Um how do you quote/copy someone's post to ask them a question?
stewie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie100 View Post
I really like reading this forum, Um how do you quote/copy someone's post to ask them a question?
Bottom right of the post of your fancy there's a quote button. Click that and it will pull up a reply box with the quote already in it!
Here is a forum strictly for questions & information about how the site operates. Ask Baldy, blame AceRph

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFenderguy View Post
Sucks to hear about her lowsiding for sure. Worst story I have is the ONE time I tried to get a little extra sporty on a section of twisty road with my wife on the back. She let me know she didn't appreciate it by punching me in the ribs a few times until I stopped so she could let me know she was scared. A helmet communicator would have been a better way to go, but she had no problem getting my attention pretty fast . Perhaps a little pregame huddle would have been a good idea as well, because I think part of her issue was she had no idea we were going to be on that gnarly of a road.
I know that feeling. The problem for me before communicators is I never knew what she wanted. I joke with my wife that we have a car that can be driven from any seat. I think she feels out of control when she isn't the one operating the vehicle. Most of the time it isn't too bad, but every now and then I have to offer to let her drive. :)
Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I passed the link on to him.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
In spite of being an avid motorcyclist for over 40 years I never encourage anyone to be a pillion or get their own bike unless they are personally motivated to do so. Over the years I've seen far too many negative consequences when people have been encouraged or even pushed to go 'outside their comfort zone'. Plain and simple...motorcycling isn't for everyone.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #21
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
In spite of being an avid motorcyclist for over 40 years I never encourage anyone to be a pillion or get their own bike unless they are personally motivated to do so. Over the years I've seen far too many negative consequences when people have been encouraged or even pushed to go 'outside their comfort zone'. Plain and simple...motorcycling isn't for everyone.
I agree. That's the reason we sold my wife's Ninja 250. Her nerves just weren't ready for that and I was afraid she was going to get hurt.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #22
nckjms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
I agree. That's the reason we sold my wife's Ninja 250. Her nerves just weren't ready for that and I was afraid she was going to get hurt.
That's largely the motivation behind my fiance' and I getting a bigger two-up touring bike for longer rides, and keeping a smaller bike she can ride around town. I hope she continues to get more comfortable but this way she can go at her own pace.
nckjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #23
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckjms View Post
That's largely the motivation behind my fiance' and I getting a bigger two-up touring bike for longer rides, and keeping a smaller bike she can ride around town. I hope she continues to get more comfortable but this way she can go at her own pace.
I am hoping my wife will learn to feel the bike and get comfortable on the FJR and then decide to try riding again. I won't get her another bike until she asks for it though.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #24
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,968
My wife had been riding for about 18 years before we met. In fact, the day after we met, she picked up her new YZF600R. She let me ride it and that got me back into riding and a new VFR800, after a 10 year lay-off.

I remember meeting her from work one night and riding home. As we came to the end of the urban speed limit, a guy in a TVR Cerbera rumbled past and I could see what was coming. He floored it out of the limit and she went after him up the hill. I rolled it off at 120 in the gloom, thinking "I'm not getting into this". At that point, I saw her overtaking him at what must have been 140.

He turned off and took the back road into our town, while she stayed on the main road. I followed him and discovered he lived pretty much the other side of the street from us. When I got home, I typed up and printed out a note that said "To the nice man in the TVR: Please don't encourage my wife to race in the dark, her lights really aren't up to it." I figured he was going to be pissed at having been beaten by a woman. That was getting on for 15 years ago when we were younger and crazier.....
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #25
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
My wife had been riding for about 18 years before we met. In fact, the day after we met, she picked up her new YZF600R. She let me ride it and that got me back into riding and a new VFR800, after a 10 year lay-off.

I remember meeting her from work one night and riding home. As we came to the end of the urban speed limit, a guy in a TVR Cerbera rumbled past and I could see what was coming. He floored it out of the limit and she went after him up the hill. I rolled it off at 120 in the gloom, thinking "I'm not getting into this". At that point, I saw her overtaking him at what must have been 140.

He turned off and took the back road into our town, while she stayed on the main road. I followed him and discovered he lived pretty much the other side of the street from us. When I got home, I typed up and printed out a note that said "To the nice man in the TVR: Please don't encourage my wife to race in the dark, her lights really aren't up to it." I figured he was going to be pissed at having been beaten by a woman. That was getting on for 15 years ago when we were younger and crazier.....
That's just awesome!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #26
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosbandit View Post
That's just awesome!
This.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #27
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's an update for you. We were talking about riding this spring and she said she is looking forward to it
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got her back out there a couple of weeks ago! I took a shorter more mellow route and she had a good time. There was minimal anxiety and I think she will warm up to it if I keep that up :)
Old 06-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Slow & steady

My wife rides more with me now than when the kids were young.

She was nervous at 1st, so I got a Ft. Rock topcase from Giantloop, she LOVES IT!! On a recent trip to Gettysburg she actually fell asleep! I wasn't going at break neck speeds, it wouldn't have been safe given the elevation changes and the fact that most of the roads we took out were barely 2 lanes w/ 45 mph limit.

It was still a blast, I stayed in 3rd most of the way, no tickets that way, plus I got to listen to the Breva 1100's engine work. It sounds AWESOME! ! It probably pissed some people off, she sounds like you're running a Jake Brake when you shift up or down, I love it!

She was a trooper, the wife, when awake, because despite the speed limit I was doubling the posted corner speeds, she didn't complain a bit.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #30
kaosbandit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I got her back out there again! Picked some easier roads and she had a good time. Check it out!

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...on-rides-again