ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Greco OP
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 987
2 Stroke Pipe Guard

Anybody have experience with the carbon fiber guards put out by Moose or E-Line? My pretty new FMF plated pipe is just sitting there unprotected. I'm not a fan of the universal aluminum guards that wrap the pipe. It seems like they just transfer the hit right to the pipe. I've never seen one that didn't rattle. The Hyde guards are just ugly. Suggestions?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
Many on here will say the CF protectors can be punctured and otherwise transfer the hit to the pipe much like the aluminum ones. The Hyde guard protects the pipe quite a bit more and I've bashed the heck out of my butchered version. unfortunately it still transfers the load of hits onto the pipe and its mounting points, is ugly as sin, and a pain to mount and remove.

I'm currently brainstorming purchasing the tooling I'd need to make something that I've seen some of the riders from Aus, NZ, and SA run.

Still pretty ugly; not much, if any, heavier; easier to live with, and way stronger than any of the mainstream options. Not sure if there is anything out there like this which is easily obtainable for the KTM.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,101
I'm a big fan of the eline guard. Ran one for 4 years on my old 300 and the pipe looked great.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Greco OP
Momma's boys

Wow! That is really ugly! I wonder how much those weigh. They look pretty bomb proof though. I like how they bolt to the frame to keep the hits off of the pipe and its mounts.

Those tricky Euros. Is that a pic from the ISDE or some extreme endure event? I doubt I'll need something that intense.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
Wow! That is really ugly! I wonder how much those weigh. They look pretty bomb proof though. I like how they bolt to the frame to keep the hits off of the pipe and its mounts.

Those tricky Euros. Is that a pic from the ISDE or some extreme endure event? I doubt I'll need something that intense.
It is from the most recent Roof of Africa. I've been researching them and one with about that coverage made from solid 3/8" bar weighed in at 6lbs. source

I'm having the same problem those guys did, my pipe is dent free under the guard, but fairly bent and I'm sure my exhaust spigot is pissed, it sure is leaking enough spooge.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
I like the looks of my Hyde on the GasGas, has worked very good. and uninstalling is a breeze. Also bollts to the frame.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
modette
RMAR

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
modette
RMAR

Build your own:
http://www.eawarehouse.com/rbc/exguard.htm

Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:

It does look ugly and heavy, I compromise by running the E-line gaurd and keeping my eye out for good deals on pipes,ebay,where ever,the pipes gradually get bashed in but keeping spares around lets me tote a pipe to the local guy who is a wizard at straightening the things. I also try not to blindly smash the pipe into things which helps.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,674
E-Line

+1 on the E-Line carbon ... I have 3 pipes in rotation in case one gets smacked and needs to be sent out for repair (stocker + 2 Gnarlys)
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Greco OP
Momma's boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Modette, is this your bike?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm a big fan of the eline guard. Ran one for 4 years on my old 300 and the pipe looked great.
I'll second this! Have had an eline since 2005, have bashed the hell out of it, and still performs excellently. And Hellsickle can confirm most of my crashes! Would buy again & again. Had it off in Fall to clean the bike up for a new piston, zero dents on the pipe.
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,072
I have the remnants of a destroyed e-line around somewhere you can have for free if you want to glue it back together :) The P3 cf guard was better at taking hits, but I ended having to straighten the pipe neck every other ride.

I think there was a guy on KTM talk you could order one of those metal cages from for the 300. If you do some searching in the 2stroke forum you should see quite a bit of discussion there. I've thought about it, but so far I think the Hyde has me down to a 1 pipe-per-season rate, which I can live with.

I've also notice the pipe brand can make more of a difference than I would have thought. I've been running the ProCircuit pipe because it's a thicker gauge, but that may not be such a good thing. It starts cracking after taking enough hits over time. Mrs_thump_co's 300 came with a Gnarly, which feels lighter, but it's taken a hell of a lot of abuse. It's dented and tweaked, and most the generic metal guard has been ripped off in pieces, but I've never had to pull it off for a repair yet. Just a few little retweaks while still on the bike.

I highly recommend the Trailtech pipe flange guard as well.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR

thump_co screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 07:43 PM
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Modette, is this your bike?
No, I wish I kinda like that one out of all the cages. Came across it online I think Thumpertalk but dude that posted years ago did not say where he got it...I notice that trend with a lot of post on them they post up a picture of theirs but don't say if they bought it, from who, or if they made it.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,101
At what point does the extra weight of the guard become unworthy of the protection it allows? You build a pipe out of 1/4" steel and assure that it never bends.

I think the Eline is the best compromise. Yeah, a lot of hard hits over time will turn it to mush. As Thumpco pointed out, a rigid pipe guard will transmit more force to the first big bend in the pipe.

I've straightened those bends before and removed multiple dents from pipes. Using the N2 cylinder I purchased for shock work, a variety of fittings from the hardware store, and an oxy-acet torch, I flush the pipe with nitrogen & pressurize to 10-15 psi (with a self adjusting regulator on the pipe) & dents/bends come back out with a gentle heating.

My current 300 has a pretty sturdy aluminum guard put on by the PO (eline hadn't tooled up for this bike yet).

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote