Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #151
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
So, what IPhone case and mount are you all using? I think I need to get this App before my next dual sport rally. Thanks!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #152
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 75
What's the chance a new feature can be added to record a GPS track at one second intervals as you go? Seems the data is already there, just a case of saving it. We need these tracks for the Amageza rally in South Africa in November & would save running another app. Galileo, the maps app, has some nice export options to check out.
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #153
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So, what IPhone case and mount are you all using? I think I need to get this App before my next dual sport rally. Thanks!
I use an Otterbox and a RAM X-mount. The phone has survived without a scratch so far
Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #154
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Lifeproof case - waterproof and it keeps the cable nice and snug. Not cheap but a really good case.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #155
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
How did you mount the lifeproof case?
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #156
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
How did you mount the lifeproof case?
Yeah! After doing a bit of research, that looks like a great case. How DID you mount that? Thanks!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #157
ArthDuro
quarantined

Quote:
Yeah! After doing a bit of research, that looks like a great case. How DID you mount that? Thanks!
Lifeproof makes a cradle for it, its pretty good, holds the case well and will fit to bars. I have covered serious miles on it with my mtb and never had it fall off or anything. For the moto though it does not work since it is never in a good viewing position (can only be mounted to the bars). So I butchered one of the lifeproof cradles and added a ramball mount from one of the ram cradles i had around. So now it is like a franken ram cradle and works great. I always have a ziptie on it just in case.
+ momento mori +
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #158
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThePanda View Post
What's the chance a new feature can be added to record a GPS track at one second intervals as you go? Seems the data is already there, just a case of saving it. We need these tracks for the Amageza rally in South Africa in November & would save running another app. Galileo, the maps app, has some nice export options to check out.
Thanks for the suggestion! Pilo and I have discussed this before and would consider adding it, but we'll need help from y'all with respect to minimum requirements and such.

So having said that, let's start the conversation: we assume "Start/Stop Tracking" controls/buttons would be needed, correct? Would GPX output to Dropbox or email message be sufficient, or would integration with existing iOS apps be most desirable?
Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #159
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 75
I'd say Dropbox and email would be perfect. Start/stop shouldn't be easily accessible by mistake - I'd want this to start tracking at the beginning of the stage and only stop at the end, for evaluation by the rally admin of waypoints for penalties. Must clearly show if stopped (eg at intersection) so no penalty. 1 sec intervals therefore very important. Thanks!!
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #160
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Lifeproof makes a cradle for it, its pretty good, holds the case well and will fit to bars. I have covered serious miles on it with my mtb and never had it fall off or anything. For the moto though it does not work since it is never in a good viewing position (can only be mounted to the bars). So I butchered one of the lifeproof cradles and added a ramball mount from one of the ram cradles i had around. So now it is like a franken ram cradle and works great. I always have a ziptie on it just in case.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/techm...phone-4s-cases

Gen 4 Techmounts are similar to the RAM concept but the balls are smaller and made of aluminum.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #161
ArthDuro
quarantined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/techm...phone-4s-cases

Gen 4 Techmounts are similar to the RAM concept but the balls are smaller and made of aluminum.

Well that there is a ready to go solution.
+ momento mori +
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #162
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

So, I just bought the App along with a orange (Gotta match the KTM) Life-case and a ram mound. I also bought what looks to be a double USB plug in that I will run directly from my battery. (Amazon purchase)I will try and take pictures with the whole set up-
For me, I need to make it as easy as possible as my fabricating skills are nonexistent. I hope this will work on my paint shaking KTM 620.
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #163
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
For me, I need to make it as easy as possible as my fabricating skills are nonexistent. I hope this will work on my paint shaking KTM 620.
You can't use new fangled technology on a 620. Gotta stick with the stone age.

Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #164
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
You can't use new fangled technology on a 620. Gotta stick with the stone age.

HA!!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
Old 04-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #165
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever Dood View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! Pilo and I have discussed this before and would consider adding it, but we'll need help from y'all with respect to minimum requirements and such.

So having said that, let's start the conversation: we assume "Start/Stop Tracking" controls/buttons would be needed, correct? Would GPX output to Dropbox or email message be sufficient, or would integration with existing iOS apps be most desirable?
This app is super accurate and has 4 different modes of "sharing", ranging from realtime to stored. The difference apart from how often it updates the online tracker is the energy usage. On my Iphone 4 on it's most accurate and realtime mode, if I remember when testing it on my mountain bike, I had about 2-3 hours of battery from full. So when I was racing, the phone was plugged into a charger from the bike the whole time.

A great feature of the app is that even if one gets out of cell phone range, as soon as one is back into reception it will update all the data that it couldn't send whilst out of cell phone reception.

https://track.gs/

Here is my track on day 2 of a rally;

https://track.gs/6aIRr0

It made it super fun for the guys on our local forum to be able to realtime follow the rally. Even the organisers found that my tracker was more accurate and live than the spot satellite systems they had on some bikes for testing.

I would set up the tracker on the app the night before and then log onto the thread and my facebook page and paste it in. I would only turn it on just before the start. This method sort of failed on the last day when I thought I'd turned it on at the start but only found out half way through the day that I hadn't. My BIL had to SMS me that they couldn't track me and luckily I picked that up at a refuel point.

It's important to note that, if I didn't have my primary GPS that was tracking me to hand into the organisers, I would have been disqualified or certainly had huge penalties if I was just relying on just the Iphones GPS to keep my tracks.