User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #76
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 720
I am successfully running the app on an iPhone 3GS that us using ios 6.1.4

Rally blitz requires using ios 6 or newer and there is a small bug when used in ios6 but it isn't a deal breaker. Also, there is a smoking deal going on the MAGELLAN TOUGHCASE for the older iPhone/iPod touch right now on ebay.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #77
uglybassplayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ah that's to bad, iPhone 3G will run only upto iOS 4.3.1....
uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #78
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
NX250 - That bug will be fixed in the next update. We've restructured the design just a bit. Should be fine for IOS 6.

Bass - I'll let Rich chime in on this. I'm not sure the details with the 3G but I know Apple is lame about "encouraging" people to newer devices. There is a technical reason that Rich is using IOS6 and higher. I know that doesn't help you any, but if it is any consolation, 3GS's can be found on craigslist really cheap. Ugh - I just noticed you are in the UK. I know they are not that cheap over there. Sorry.

Speaking of the next update...does anyone think this item in the upper left will be of value?

One other question...When I designed the App I wanted to keep the screen as clean and high contrast as possible, but we were wondering if we need some light background shapes to show where you need to tap (four areas: odo up/down, trip meter, setup). We would make it configurable so it could be turned off, but we don't want to waste the development cycles if no one will use it. For me it is easy to know where to tap, but that's because I've been using it from the beginning!

pilo screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 09:49 AM
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #79
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

One other things we've been working on...

A total hack job prototype, but it works.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #80
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Bass - I'll let Rich chime in on this. I'm not sure the details with the 3G but I know Apple is lame about "encouraging" people to newer devices. There is a technical reason that Rich is using IOS6 and higher. I know that doesn't help you any, but if it is any consolation, 3GS's can be found on craigslist really cheap. Ugh - I just noticed you are in the UK. I know they are not that cheap over there. Sorry.
The general rule of thumb is to support the latest iOS release as well as the previous, which is why the app requires 6.1 or higher. Supporting older iOS versions is possible but it complicates the codebase because Apple adds and removes features with every major revision of iOS. That said, I'll add looking into supporting older iOS versions to the TODO list!
Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #81
uglybassplayer
Adventurer

Yes I understand Apples not very subtle encouragement to upgrade to the latest version! Unfortunately I cannot afford to keep up, my latest phone is only a 3GS and I expect that to be obsolete soon.

If you could change the app to e compatible with the 3G you would have a certain purchase from me.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #82
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Speaking of the next update...does anyone think this item in the upper left will be of value?

One other question...When I designed the App I wanted to keep the screen as clean and high contrast as possible, but we were wondering if we need some light background shapes to show where you need to tap (four areas: odo up/down, trip meter, setup). We would make it configurable so it could be turned off, but we don't want to waste the development cycles if no one will use it. For me it is easy to know where to tap, but that's because I've been using it from the beginning!
I would use this instead of the speedo app, so it appeals to me. I like that it stays on and doesn't need to be repeatedly turned back on. The size of the numerals/contrast right now is very easily read, would be interesting to see what black numbers on white background would be like.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #83
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
I would use this instead of the speedo app, so it appeals to me. I like that it stays on and doesn't need to be repeatedly turned back on. The size of the numerals/contrast right now is very easily read, would be interesting to see what black numbers on white background would be like.
The current app supports black on white. Go to the Apple Settings "app", usually on your "Home" screen, scroll down to RallyBlitz and there ya go!
Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #84
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever Dood View Post
The current app supports black on white. Go to the Apple Settings "app", usually on your "Home" screen, scroll down to RallyBlitz and there ya go!
Cool, I'll check that out.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #85
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybassplayer View Post
Is the app compatible with the iPhone 3G? I have an old one hiding in a drawer somewhere and it would be great to get my rally nav setup started for so little money!

IIRC Iphone 3 doesn't have a "real" GPS, depending on triangulation of cell stations for position. You would need an active GSM SIM card in it to have position info and it is not accurate as a GPS, again IIRC .

Iphone 3GS has a proper GPS but I had a few apps that would struggle for a fix when outside the GSM coverage... Never understood why as it was not consistent.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #86
uglybassplayer
Adventurer

I agree the 3 didn't have a GPS, but the 3G does and so does the 3GS
Old 12-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #87
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 720
Speed display will be good to have but also good to turn off when we don't want it. I personally never use the on screen buttons to adjust milage (volume only).

For those who may not know, if you turn on the on-screen adjustment buttons in the settings menu then you can clock the milage by clicking around the numbers below the "A" or "B" on the odometer.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #88
Linusp3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Are there any good wireless devices that could be used together with the app to control it?
Linusp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #89
Linusp3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
... and more important; will this case come to production?

(and perhaps I answer my own question; is that a Scosche controlFREQ in a HWDB top clamp?)
Linusp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #90
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

I need a beta tester!

Linusp3 - The scosche will work. Anything that can adjust the volume should work. I've been testing with the Satechi bluetooth volume control and wiring it to an M8 for real thumbswitch control. It is working well so far.

ALL - I need a beta tester. I need someone who will use the device Rally style in an off-road environment who understands needs around velocity and more importantly around SCALING (actual distance compared to displayed distance). There have been some requests around this and I need someone who will start testing immediately and continue testing through some development cycles. Hunt me down via a PM.

Thanks,
-Phil