Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #106
mex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
thanks pilo for taking your time to post that detailed reply !
cheers mex
mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #107
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
Just a noob question. Will this work for the ALCAN 5000 rally? I'm entered but have no idea about any of the computer stuff. Looks awesome

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #108
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,495
It will work for Nav'ing a Roadbook (if you are using an RB, Alcan allow for GPS use also, right?). For RB you need an odo that can be adjusted up or down, this does that.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #109
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
It will work for Nav'ing a Roadbook (if you are using an RB, Alcan allow for GPS use also, right?). For RB you need an odo that can be adjusted up or down, this does that.
It won't have your A/S for the liasons however.

I don't think... right?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #110
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I believe they do allow gps. I think there are gps classes and regular nav classes.

Just looking for an alternative to an expensive ico type computer that I will be unlikely to use and don't want to mount permanently to my bike.

I've never done road book navigation so it's all new to me

Nessmuk
Old 01-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #111
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
It won't have your A/S for the liasons however.

I don't think... right?
I don't even have a clue what that means haha

Nessmuk
Old 01-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #112
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I don't even have a clue what that means haha
http://www.alcan5000.com/2014Regs.htm
DEFINITION OF SECTIONS
TRANSIT: A time and mileage will be given only for the start and finish of a Transit. These are touring sections, and competitors may proceed at their own pace as long as they enter controls at the correct time. TSD: In these sections teams must maintain average speeds shown in the route book. A time and mileage will be given for the start and finish of a TSD and controls may be located at any point within the section. Practice is not allowed and vehicles may not enter TSD sections before published opening times.
DIY: In these sections teams will use average speeds shown in the route book to calculate their arrival times. A time and mileage will be given for the start and finish of a DIY and controls may be located at any point within the section. Practice is not allowed and vehicles may not enter before the section is declared open.

See TSD and DIY
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #113
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 853
We don't have speed on the released version, but it is being tested. It is a very high likelihood we'll have speed released in the spring.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #114
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I believe they do allow gps. I think there are gps classes and regular nav classes.

Just looking for an alternative to an expensive ico type computer that I will be unlikely to use and don't want to mount permanently to my bike.

I've never done road book navigation so it's all new to me
Check out the Vector with the handlebar switch. I use it and though I'm thinking upgrade, it has worked fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #115
sailah
Lampin' it

Got it thanks I assume the as was average speed?

Nessmuk
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #116
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Check out the Vector with the handlebar switch. I use it and though I'm thinking upgrade, it has worked fine.

Will do I have the vapor sitting on huge shelf I assume it won't work?

Just heard back from ALCAN race committee that my modified ninja I was planning on running won't pass inspection because the fuel system has been modified so I ll be shopping for a new bike anyways.

Nessmuk
Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #117
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,047
I'm testing a newer version and I've dumped all the other displays on my bike, this is truly all I need for now, Speedo, ODO, CAP and GPS w/ loaded moving maps. Along with all the other apps you can ever want, stop watch, temp, you name it, they all go with me. Redundancy is in my pocket with my activated phone.

All it requires is power, so I removed all the other junk from the bike, really helps clean it up and simplify the wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
AntiPaul - What USB setup are you using? Where did you source it?.
I've tried a few USB power ports, this one is a Blue Sea Systems off Amazon, charges amazingly fast. BurnsMoto has a few that I have also used that worked very well also. All I can recommend is go name brand, if you go cheap you'll end up buying twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
So after running this app and doing some navigation training I can say it is really good. The mileage is spot on, especially when running a mapbook created with Rally Navigator (since it uses GPS based mileage calculations also). The cap is spot on and is quicker to respond than a Garmin GPS. There was some detected magnetic interference from the bike at times but only when stopped. Overall pretty impressed.
Jimmy it seems to me that this app would be pretty useful for your classes when someones displays/wiring goes on the fritz, dead easy to mount with a Ram ball and then they can continue riding on their own instead of just following someone in.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #118
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
I'm testing a newer version and I've dumped all the other displays on my bike, this is truly all I need for now, Speedo, ODO, CAP and GPS w/ loaded moving maps. Along with all the other apps you can ever want, stop watch, temp, you name it, they all go with me. Redundancy is in my pocket with my activated phone.

All it requires is power, so I removed all the other junk from the bike, really helps clean it up and simplify the wiring.

I've tried a few USB power ports, this one is a Blue Sea Systems off Amazon, charges amazingly fast. BurnsMoto has a few that I have also used that worked very well also. All I can recommend is go name brand, if you go cheap you'll end up buying twice.

Jimmy it seems to me that this app would be pretty useful for your classes when someones displays/wiring goes on the fritz, dead easy to mount with a Ram ball and then they can continue riding on their own instead of just following someone in.
So just a simple question..have you made a switch for it yet?? to reset your ODO lol.it looks great just need a way to mount it with a water proof case to the bike.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #119
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
So just a simple question..have you made a switch for it yet?? to reset your ODO lol.it looks great just need a way to mount it with a water proof case to the bike.
All I've been able to do is use the audio jack hacked into the volume controls. Like to be able to use the 30pin connector for both the switch and power then there's only one case penetration for cabling. Unfortunately I'm short of time.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #120
brocku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just used this great App for a navigational road rally. Had it mounted to the center of the windshield and it worked like a charm! Used the 2 odo's and zeroing it when needed is a breeze! The distances from the pace notes and this App are pretty well spot on.
Awesome App !!
brocku is offline   Reply With Quote