User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #151
dirtbikebagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
When I first got my KTM I thought the same thing about sifting through all of the 950 carb threads when I wanted to just read about the new 990s. I would imagine if they were going to do it, it would have happened back then. Now I simply look for important numbers in the thread title. works great!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #152
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
Can we have a split so I don't have to wade through pages of 1190 shit to get to the proper 950/990 Adventure stuff.
All up for a split, been up trails where my friends with 450 and 500's six days barely got up. Don't think a 950/990 would have made it:))
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #153
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
OC is dead as it is for 950/990/SE owners now.

But it seems there are definitely two camps to this question 9*0 owners who want it split because they have no interest in the 1190, and 1190 owners who want to keep it together, why? Why do you 1190 owners want to keep seeing stuff relating to the 9*0's? It has no relevance to the 1190's other than both being KTM.

The Gspot on this very site after all splits the boxers and parallel twins, same thing should happen here IMO.
Hi, my name is Todd-Squad, I ride an 1190R, and I am in favor of the split. This has nothing to do with who's model is better. This is just a housekeeping matter. I completely agreement with the 950/990 guys, on this. Why do I want to wade through a bunch of their threads, when they don't apply to my bike. Occasionally I might want to drop by to see what is going on. Heck, I just got back from a visit to Gspot.

Speaking of Gspot, why do they get split but Orange Crush can't have sub forums? Mod's my hat is off to you all for the selfless work that you go through maintaining this site. But when we have an issue that is so clearly one sided in favor of creating two sub forums, I have a hard time understanding why it is that one of you can put your foot down and object? It what we are asking for is a 100 hour project, then tell us, everyone on here seems pretty reasonable. But if it is just a matter of creating the sub forums, searching for anything with 1190 in the title and dropping it into one sub forum, and dumping everything else into the other sub forum, where is the harm?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #154
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
Hi, my name is Todd-Squad, I ride an 1190R, and I am in favor of the split. This has nothing to do with who's model is better. This is just a housekeeping matter. I completely agreement with the 950/990 guys, on this. Why do I want to wade through a bunch of their threads, when they don't apply to my bike. Occasionally I might want to drop by to see what is going on. Heck, I just got back from a visit to Gspot.

Speaking of Gspot, why do they get split but Orange Crush can't have sub forums? Mod's my hat is off to you all for the selfless work that you go through maintaining this site. But when we have an issue that is so clearly one sided in favor of creating two sub forums, I have a hard time understanding why it is that one of you can put your foot down and object? It what we are asking for is a 100 hour project, then tell us, everyone on here seems pretty reasonable. But if it is just a matter of creating the sub forums, searching for anything with 1190 in the title and dropping it into one sub forum, and dumping everything else into the other sub forum, where is the harm?
Right on brother.

The first? voice of reason from the 1190 camp.

Just because the forum gets split, does'nt stop anyone from visiting/posting on the other side when relevant.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #155
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Keep it together...just edit it down.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #156
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Speaking of Gspot, why do they get split but Orange Crush can't have sub forums?
They're not split. All the boxer models are in the same forum, and all the parallel models in theirs.

In the forum listing this one is named "Orange Crush: KTM's adventure/dirt V-twins." Which means all the KTM v-twins, be it 9*0, 1190 or some future 790 or something. Exactly like the GS boxers, where all the models from the oilheads birth onwards happily live together: The 850, 1100, 1150, 1200, 1200LC, HP2 etc . BTW, the current 1200 GS LC has even less in common with the previous 1200GS than 1190 has with the 9*0. I bet that if the two KTM models would look superficially similar from a distance (like the BMWs do) there wouldn't be so much drama.

If KTM puts out a parallel twin or a Wankel, they will most likely have their own forum.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #157
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
They're not split. All the boxer models are in the same forum, and all the parallel models in theirs.

In the forum listing this one is named "Orange Crush: KTM's adventure/dirt V-twins." Which means all the KTM v-twins, be it 9*0, 1190 or some future 790 or something. Exactly like the GS boxers, where all the models from the oilheads birth onwards happily live together: The 850, 1100, 1150, 1200, 1200LC, HP2 etc . BTW, the current 1200 GS LC has even less in common with the previous 1200GS than 1190 has with the 9*0. I bet that if the two KTM models would look superficially similar from a distance (like the BMWs do) there wouldn't be so much drama.

If KTM puts out a parallel twin or a Wankel, they will most likely have their own forum.
The last thing I want is for this thread to be devisive. But I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Gspot does have two sub forums. One for Boxer motors, and one for parallel twins. Why do they have two? Because the bikes are different enough to justify separation. That is all we splitters are asking for. Some basic separation for the 950/990 and the 1190. Yes, all three bikes are twin cylinders, but beyond that, there isn't a while lot the same. Therefore, one section for 950/990 and one thread for 1190.

I'm quite certain if BMW came out with a four cylinder boxer motor, it too would have its own section rather than be combined with the other 2 cylinder boxers. Your point regarding the sub-heading of Orange Crush could just as easily to a single section, or two sections. In other words, I think this argument support the "split" vote equally as strong as you are suggesting is supports the "keep together" vote.

Again, this isn't about better, or superiority, or quality of information. It is simply about intuitive navigation, and ease of finding the information being looked for. Happy trails,

Todd-Squad
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #158
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
BTW, the current 1200 GS LC has even less in common with the previous 1200GS than 1190 has with the 9*0.
That's not true.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #159
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Gspot does have two sub forums. One for Boxer motors, and one for parallel twins.
If you actually read my post, you'll see that I wrote exactly the same. Yet the models for the same TYPE of engine are all in the same forum.
All the boxers are in the same forum, be it a 1100 oilhead or the newest water-cooled, uber-computerized 1200. How much do those 2 models have in common? For the KTMs, the RC8 engine is a direct derivative of the LC8, the trellis frame is quite similar, the general layout, if you strip down the bikes, is not THAT different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
That's not true.
It is.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #160
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
It is.
So you're telling me that the GS1200LC and the GS1200 also have different tyres, rims, accessories, exhausts, laguage options, airbox design, efi design, frames, suspension, seats, clutches, canbus vs. non-canbus, controls, etc?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #161
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
So you're telling me that the GS1200LC and the GS1200 also have different tyres, rims, accessories, exhausts, laguage options, airbox design, efi design, frames, suspension, seats, clutches, canbus vs. non-canbus, controls, etc?
All those things are different between the GS 1100 and GS1200WC, and are all in the same forum.

Betting that if the mods split the 1190 from the 9x0, the 1190 would be the only bike on this site that has it's own forum...

Hey, as an 1190 R owner, that sounds pretty cool!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #162
dragos
Belzebut

Quote:
Pretty much yes. Totally different engine, totally different airbox, exhaust and swingarm swapped sides, different controls, different suspension and suspension control, TC and all electronics. Yes, the clutch as well.

dragos screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 12:48 PM
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #163
dragos
Belzebut

I bet that if KTM would have decided to style the 1190 Adv even vaguely reminiscent to the rally style of the 9*0, this debate wouldn't exist.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #164
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,100
Different engine, frame, electrics.....make sense to split purely from a search point of view. The forum was predominately Adventure bike orientated, road bikes were included. Question about the bikes that shared the lc8 or flat twin engines got answered..

Make life a lot easier if the 1190 was in its own section within OC.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #165
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
What shall we call it? Mighty orange crush?
XT500
Closed Thread