User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #196
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,712
So, what if KTM builds a few more v-twin adventures? Now there's two, split when there's three?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #197
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 399
Don't forget one for the Super Enduro
1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #198
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 137
If my 950 adv has 950se wheels were would I fit in the split?

I think every forum has this issue when a new model arrives.
split or don't split, just start a HOW section for the 1190 and direct there, helped a poor noob like me.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #199
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdesertrat View Post
Ok I created a Poll on whether or not to split the OC
Then you need to petition Baldy and the mods. I remember a while ago there was discussion about splitting a forum (don't remember if it was here or another section). Basically it came down to cost/sever space or something of the such, I looked and couldn't find it. Someone mentioned a page or so back that other sites like the KTM Talk have everything broken down, but you have to remember they are all sponsored with advertising. Baldy foots the bill for this out of pocket (smugmug) and with donations. Personally I would rather not see it cluttered with ads.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #200
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 205
Can we split the future 1190 forum into 2013 and 2014 ? Again they seem to be completely different bikes or why all subjects that were discussed on the 2013 need to be re-discussed on the 2014?

Sent back and forth
Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #201
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,091
Have have no idea of the work involved in subdividing OC using the forum software/template, I sure a mod can chime in here. Or perhaps you've had your fun so time to act.

Someone commented on the SE, I would happily see SD, SM LC8's added to OC, might get boring with endless tyre threads...but.

The 1190 is closer to the Multistrada than the 9*0, different electrics, engine, running gear and suspension.

OC is experiencing a new a wave of new bikers, perhaps a little less technically mechanical minded or maybe more than some of the old crowd, that followed a more natural progression to the Adv, not a bad thing.

I've not seen a 1190, those who have seem happy to help. But lets do it it in another forum.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #202
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,166
I've checked with upper Management and Orange Crush will remain the way it is.

Sorry guys and girls, we'll just have to give it some time and get used to it.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #203
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
I use the forums other than "Orange Crush" as much or more than I use OC. But I am wondering if migration to KTM Talk would be a better deal for our bike specific threads. The Big Bike/LC8 thread over there gets now where near the activity of OC. And their forums for Regional, Trip Planning and Ride Reports are way behind ADVRider. The focus there seems to be non-adventure (whatever that is) dirt biking with an emphasis on smaller bikes.

Maybe we need to look to KTMTalk as the bike specific forum. I have no idea whether KTMTalk would set up bike specific categories to separate out 950/990 from 1190. From their numerous categories, I'd almost bet they would accommodate us.

We could always jump back to ADVRider for the non bike specific forums--not ideal. But it might give a better result when seeking info on particular bikes.

FWIW
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #204
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I've checked with upper Management and Orange Crush will remain the way it is.

Sorry guys and girls, we'll just have to give it some time and get used to it.
That proves that they are a bunch of hypocrites. A forum is made of voices and not dictation.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #205
bluedog52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Split ,the 1190 is not meant for serious goat trail work by mere mortals. Might as well be with the gs1200's. Most 1190 guys say they have a dirt bike for dirt work and want the thrill of 150 ponies to gobble up fire roads to spend money on new rubber every week. Do highway miles to go long distance fishing and or to visit there second wife across state lines.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #206
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I use the forums other than "Orange Crush" as much or more than I use OC. But I am wondering if migration to KTM Talk would be a better deal for our bike specific threads. The Big Bike/LC8 thread over there gets now where near the activity of OC. And their forums for Regional, Trip Planning and Ride Reports are way behind ADVRider. The focus there seems to be non-adventure (whatever that is) dirt biking with an emphasis on smaller bikes.

Maybe we need to look to KTMTalk as the bike specific forum. I have no idea whether KTMTalk would set up bike specific categories to separate out 950/990 from 1190. From their numerous categories, I'd almost bet they would accommodate us.

We could always jump back to ADVRider for the non bike specific forums--not ideal. But it might give a better result when seeking info on particular bikes.

FWIW
Shame on U ...nothing wrong with ADV and OC

Stay here.

This will all sort it's self out.
The 1190 is a new bike and it will be interesting to follow all the mods , farkles and repairs just like we have done with the...ahem... "OLD" ones.
I think the 1190 riders seem to be a little different than the 9x0 riders (as in purchase of more of a street oriented bike...I may be wrong about the street part...time will tell), but in the end we all like the power/styling of the BIG KATOOM.
For myself...... I am not interested in having all those electronic bits on my bike., a bike that i regularly take deep into the bush through mud, water and desert conditions. If it ever stops running, I only want to have to be trouble shooting Fuel, spark or some minor electrical problems.
The 1190 seems to have a lot of computer management systems...and I'm not interested in that on a motorcycle, not that it's a bad thing but it's not MY thing( I work on and repair electronically controlled mechanical mobile equipment every day)., and one day I'm sure the 1190 will more than prove it's self as another great off-road product from KTM

1190 owners... don't take it personally..this isn't G-Spot, I think it's more tongue-in-cheek.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #207
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
That proves that they are a bunch of hypocrites. A forum is made of voices and not dictation.
If you don't like the Boss's decision, by all means collect your ADVRider joining fee on the way out the door.

Seriously though, give it some time to settle and i'm sure you will be back loving OC ( and the Mods/Admins ) soon enough.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #208
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
There are probably a lot of different reasons for supporting or opposing a split. I don't think most of us want a 950/990 forum for any reason other than to make it more useful/enjoyable. It's not like there isn't a precedent for splitting out specific models by the same make--with BMW only.

I get that there are different engine/chassis configurations behind these designations. Aren't there similar designations with KTMs? With Japanese bikes? Is BMW the only bike manufacturer which produces different engine/chassis combinations which are distinct enough to justify multiple categories in ADVRider?

Any reasonable person would see that you can't have a site which has a unique sub forum for every possible bike model owned by a forum user. So how has ADVRider settled on the 3 BMW, 1 KTM "Adventure" only, everything else split by non-brand/General categories? Is there not any room for the inmates to suggest changes? Is it unreasonable to get some little bit of an explanation as to why it has to be the way it is.

Seems like usage should be a key consideration. Creation of a specific forum might be keyed to how many views/posts it gets. That doesn't seem to be the case with the current splits.

I take most of the discussion as to splitting OC as "constructive criticism". Is it unreasonable to expect a first hand response from the Admin/Mods when there is so much obvious interest?

ADVRider is a great site. I bet it could be better!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #209
NKL OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Orange Crush - KTM's off road V twins, what's on the cover of the KTM Power Parts Street Catalogue? I'm sorry but the 1190 is not an off road motorcycle, it is a 150hp road bike with off road styling, and very bad mainstream styling at that.

The people have spoken, give them what they want.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #210
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
In my country (Belgium that is), motorcycles wave to eachother while passing, because we are one group of idiots who enjoy the same beautyfull mechanical ballet. And we are proud of that shared joy.

It's a shame the internet moved so far away from the real world...

If there would be a split, i wouldn't check the 990/950 part anymore. That would be a shame, cause it is full with beautyfull pictures en useful information.

But then again, i'm just a n00b...
Closed Thread