ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
I am new to riding, live in Hilton Head and have some questions...please help :)

Hey everyone,

I am new here and new to riding. I am looking for a dual sport bike to learn to ride on and develop skills that will be used later to do some long distance touring. I have decided to take an insurance/license waiver class as soon as possible so I can start to test ride some bikes. I originally wanted to get a drz400s or sm but after further research have been leaning towards the CRF250L as I have never even been on a motorbike before and the smaller/newer model bike looks appealing. The lower price tag also looks appealing.

I have been told by some (and seen some reviews that say) that this is a bad idea and that It won’t have enough power and I will get bored with it and want to upgrade within the year.

Some details that may affect your opinions...

I am 26 years old 6'1 215lbs and live in an area with almost no hills at all. As mentioned, I have never had or been on a motorbike before. I won’t need to travel on highway ever and the speed limits when I do ride on the road will be 45 mph or lower (occasionally 55). I will be using it just to ride for fun, develop skill and maybe do some small errands around town. Most of my riding will consist of riding on the road to many of the local random fire trail/off road type roads etc. also would like to be able to explore smaller more technical trails on occasion.

I would really appreciate some help!

Of course I will be test riding before purchasing but I wanted to do some online research first
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
If the class is like the MSF beginner course offered in Va. They provides bikes here. Then wait until after you take the class. Part of it is selection. Plus after the class you may want the 400. But a 250 will do 70 mph. And it is very light to pick up off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Moto View Post
Hey everyone,
!

I am new here and new to riding. I am looking for a dual sport bike to learn to ride on and develop skills that will be used later to do some long distance touring. I have decided to take an insurance/license waiver class as soon as possible so I can start to test ride some bikes. I originally wanted to get a drz400s or sm but after further research have been leaning towards the CRF250L as I have never even been on a motorbike before and the smaller/newer model bike looks appealing. The lower price tag also looks appealing.

I have been told by some (and seen some reviews that say) that this is a bad idea and that It won’t have enough power and I will get bored with it and want to upgrade within the year.

Some details that may affect your opinions...

I am 26 years old 6'1 215lbs and live in an area with almost no hills at all. As mentioned, I have never had or been on a motorbike before. I won’t need to travel on highway ever and the speed limits when I do ride on the road will be 45 mph or lower (occasionally 55). I will be using it just to ride for fun, develop skill and maybe do some small errands around town. Most of my riding will consist of riding on the road to many of the local random fire trail/off road type roads etc. also would like to be able to explore smaller more technical trails on occasion.

I would really appreciate some help!

Of course I will be test riding before purchasing but I wanted to do some online research first

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,585
Buy used.

They are both great bikes, The DRZ will have more power but if you buy used you can learn and ride for a year and pretty much sell it for what you paid and then get the "perfect" bike, which you can keep for a year and repeat the process.

I just picked up a DRZ with 5000 miles for just over $2000. Spend the rest on gear and gas.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thats the plan biker128 theres a class near my parents in ATL that im gonna take and then look for test ride opportunities :) cant wait!

They have a honda crf230 to use for the class
Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i just found out that my friend has a 2008 yamaha xt250 for sale under 2,000 miles for $1800...any opinions of this option?? Seems like a fair trade for older technology and 3k cheaper
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,257
Don't buy what you think you'll want/need in a year. Get what's right for you today - ESPECIALLY if you're just starting out. I see WAY too many new riders being convinced by others that nothing less than a full on replica racer is worth it. Those are the ones you see splattered on the Interstate within months. Too much power is a bad thing for someone learning to ride.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

With the small thumpers the technology is very basic and unless you are going for one of the race inspired bikes you are buying a basic no frills model that is a compromise on many levels. No matter the cc's or the model or what you read on the internet.

With the XT you will find over time that the suspension is lacking, it doesn't have enough power, there isn't enough aftermarket, it is the wrong color....

That said, there will always be a small cc basic thumper in my garage (or several). I have three DRZs now. One is a supermoto, one an S model and an E model that I bought as a running parts bike although it is in great condition.

You will drop your first bike. You will drop it several times if you are exploring forest roads. Small dirt bikes are easy to fix and don't get their feelings hurt when you dump them. Small dirt bikes are easy to sell and hold their value even though they have taken a dirt nap or two or four....

Motorcycles are impulse purchases for most people so there is always a good deal out there, especially this time of year. That said, that is a good, low mileage, 250 that should need nothing maintenance wise other than possibly a battery in the near future. Spend the extra money on gear and the MSF course. It does have a low seat height which can be a good or bad thing depending how you look at it.

DirtDabber screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 04:47 AM
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Grab the XT.

This is your first bike not your last. You will have fun with it. If you go off road you will likely drop it and when you do you don't have to worry much about busting expensive stuff. IF/when you get bored with it sell it for $1,800.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Stay small, stay light, stay with something that fits you well. If you keep it nice, you can sell it in a year and get something different. My first bike was a 125 when I was 18. A year later I got a 350. Later bigger bikes.

For the type of riding you will be doing on, and around, Hilton Head, the 250 should be just fine. Will even work well for back road runs up the coast to Beaufort or down to Savannah. Plenty of power to keep up with backroad traffic. Used to be a dealer there on the island that had some contacts with off-roaders in the area. Perhaps he also has some info on rider classes in the area?
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 138
What they said. Buy used and small and work your way up. The MSF course is an excellent idea. Be sure to budget for proper gear... helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves at a minimum.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Don't buy what you think you'll want/need in a year. Get what's right for you today - ESPECIALLY if you're just starting out. I see WAY too many new riders being convinced by others that nothing less than a full on replica racer is worth it. Those are the ones you see splattered on the Interstate within months. Too much power is a bad thing for someone learning to ride.
Thanks so much for the input...much appreciated
I hear more people telling me 'a 250 is way under powdered your gonna be bored within a year go with a 400 or 650'

I agree more with the people who share your opinion..get a 250 and learn and progress until I am ready for more bike :)
Old 11-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
With the small thumpers the technology is very basic and unless you are going for one of the race inspired bikes you are buying a basic no frills model that is a compromise on many levels. No matter the cc's or the model or what you read on the internet.

With the XT you will find over time that the suspension is lacking, it doesn't have enough power, there isn't enough aftermarket, it is the wrong color....

That said, there will always be a small cc basic thumper in my garage (or several). I have three DRZs now. One is a supermoto, one an S model and an E model that I bought as a running parts bike although it is in great condition.

You will drop your first bike. You will drop it several times if you are exploring forest roads. Small dirt bikes are easy to fix and don't get their feelings hurt when you dump them. Small dirt bikes are easy to sell and hold their value even though they have taken a dirt nap or two or four....

Motorcycles are impulse purchases for most people so there is always a good deal out there, especially this time of year. That said, that is a good, low mileage, 250 that should need nothing maintenance wise other than possibly a battery in the near future. Spend the extra money on gear and the MSF course. It does have a low seat height which can be a good or bad thing depending how you look at it.
I went to the dealer and sat on one today and it seemed to be about the correct height...but i have nothing really to go on yet
Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
Stay small, stay light, stay with something that fits you well. If you keep it nice, you can sell it in a year and get something different. My first bike was a 125 when I was 18. A year later I got a 350. Later bigger bikes.

For the type of riding you will be doing on, and around, Hilton Head, the 250 should be just fine. Will even work well for back road runs up the coast to Beaufort or down to Savannah. Plenty of power to keep up with backroad traffic. Used to be a dealer there on the island that had some contacts with off-roaders in the area. Perhaps he also has some info on rider classes in the area?
Dealer on the island? I dont think they are here anymore...I searched online and the only one i could find was in the north part of SC about 3 hours away...since it is multiple days I figured this would be a pain.

I am going back to Atlanta in early Jan and there is a class 15 minutes away from my parents place that I am gonna take. then up to charlotte to test ride and prob buy the XT

Thanks for the info :)
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Hey I am in Clayton GA north of Atlanta. You are welcome to come try out a DRZ to have something to compare to when you come back to GA,.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Hey I am in Clayton GA north of Atlanta. You are welcome to come try out a DRZ to have something to compare to when you come back to GA,.

Thats a great offer I appreciate it!! drz350 or 400?