User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Dealer Build Mistake

So I was doing some work on my 990 Baja today and noticed that whomever built the bike either lost or was unable to find the little plastic piece that sits under the crash bar clamp and protects the frame. Unfortunately, as a replacement, they used the rubber O2 sensor wire strap and you guessed it...the sensor wire. Upon inspection the wire sheath is definitely damaged but I can't tell if the wire inside is totally effed. I'm going to bring this to my dealer's attention first thing tomorrow however my question for you all is what would be the result if I rode the bike with the wire severed?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Funny, my 2012 had the 02 wire smashed as well, and I didn't know there is a frame protector (if there is mine are missing). Mine weren't smashed to bare wire, so I just taped them up. If yours are down to bare wire, you can repair them or just get a new 02 sensor as it comes with a new pigtail past that point. Another option is to use tune ecu to turn them off completely. If you aren't comfortable doing that stuff and just want to take it to the dealer...just ride it, it will be ok.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Funny, my 2012 had the 02 wire smashed as well, and I didn't know there is a frame protector (if there is mine are missing). Mine weren't smashed to bare wire, so I just taped them up. If yours are down to bare wire, you can repair them or just get a new 02 sensor as it comes with a new pigtail past that point. Another option is to use tune ecu to turn them off completely. If you aren't comfortable doing that stuff and just want to take it to the dealer...just ride it, it will be ok.
I'm guessing the FI light would come on if it were severed?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 865
2012 990

plastic piece?
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalidirt View Post
plastic piece?
Wire. Right in the middle between the pipe and pigtail.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalidirt View Post
plastic piece?
Sorry...you mean the little clear white plastic pieces that protect the frame from being marred by the crash bar clamps. The builder lost a couple and used the O2 sensor wire/strap in its place thus crushing the wire.

Brown Town screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:11 PM
Brown Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,846
Very easy to clamp the O2 sensor wire while you are fighting the tank and crash bar install.

Those little clear plastic 'protectors' are useless. Very difficult to install and if you tighten the clamp down it will cut through them. They allow the clamp to slip on the slightest tip over. The clamp will then gouge the tank.

If the O2 sensor wire is cut, shorted, or has voltage out of spec, you'll get an error code. Since that hasn't happened yet, just tape it up keep riddin'.

Instead of the plastic thingies, wrap some aluminum sheet around the tubes. I used .050" thick scrap, about 1 1/4 x 2 1/2". It's just sticky enough to keep the clamp from slipping when you drop the bike. It has enough surface area to keep from scratching the powder coating on the frame. And, it's a lot less fiddly.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Very easy to clamp the O2 sensor wire while you are fighting the tank and crash bar install.

Those little clear plastic 'protectors' are useless. Very difficult to install and if you tighten the clamp down it will cut through them. They allow the clamp to slip on the slightest tip over. The clamp will then gouge the tank.

If the O2 sensor wire is cut, shorted, or has voltage out of spec, you'll get an error code. Since that hasn't happened yet, just tape it up keep riddin'.

Instead of the plastic thingies, wrap some aluminum sheet around the tubes. I used .050" thick scrap, about 1 1/4 x 2 1/2". It's just sticky enough to keep the clamp from slipping when you drop the bike. It has enough surface area to keep from scratching the powder coating on the frame. And, it's a lot less fiddly.
Thanks zuber, any idea if bicycle tubes will keep it from slipping/marring? Who carries .050" aluminum sheeting? Home Depot or metal supply?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

Also, how hard are you torquing (not to be confused with twerking) the bolts that clamp the crash bars to the frame?

And I'm sure it's very easy to clamp the wire but the fact that they used the wire strap as a substitute means they were looking very closely at the wire during the process. The whole build was quite shoddy actually...the bars were way off center, the front end was out of alignment, the hand guards were coming out of the bar they were so poorly installed...nonetheless I'm not complaining I have this awesome machine in my garage!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
Thanks zuber, any idea if bicycle tubes will keep it from slipping/marring? Who carries .050" aluminum sheeting? Home Depot or metal supply?
I used 4 mm inner tube on mine. No problems.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
I took 4 pieces of small rubber 1/8" vaccum hose 2.5" long
and split them down the length then used these to replace
the white plastic things - which were all destroyed anyways
hope that makes sense.
looks cleaner than a big piece of rubber inner tube
I think some colored vaccum hose would be even better !
Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
Being a Canuck I just used hockey tape wrapped around the frame where the clamp attaches.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #13
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
I'm guessing the FI light would come on if it were severed?
nope, the FI comes and the main fuse blows and you stop, well at least my son did when riding my bike after "I" had done some maintenance and got the wire caught without realizing it, man was he pissed waiting at the side of the road for 4 hrs waiting for recovery!!!

However I can assure you that its a mistake you only make once!! Every time I take anything on or off the bike now I damn sure check that wire is not trapped.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote