User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Anyone ridden in Slovenia?

Just would like some info, I hear or read rather, its confusing as hell and no street view.....as of yet. Any cool places to go/see.....whatever. I realize this is a pretty general question but I would just like to get a sense of what the countryside/ city/ riding is like in that country.

Thanks
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
There is one big four lane highway that goes from the Italian border in the west to the Hungarian border in the east. Everything else is a twisty, winding two lane mountain road. In the northwest corner of the country is the Triglav National Park; in the park you will find the Vršič Pass, which is worth a ride. Caution advised: it gets busy in the summer. A little north-west of the Slovene border you can cross the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, the highest mountain pass in the Austrian Alps, and just a bit west of that is the famous Stelvio Pass in the Italian Alps.

In the northeast part of the country, where I live, are the foothills of the Alps. There are lots of roads through wine country. You can stop every two minutes at a vineyard. Not far from here is a mountain valley called Logarska Dolina, one of the most scenic roads I've ridden.

I'll post some photos later.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,870

One of these is here. Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy via Tolmezzo and Vrsic to Bled.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Thumb Yes! SLO is wonderful

We've ridden Slovenia twice and loved every minute of it. Beautiful country, helpful people, good food, great riding. They have VERY stiff speeding fines and reasonable fees for the vignette if you wish to use the big highways. The big highways are good for saving time and they're very good roads when in a bit of hurry or when just trying to avoid summer traffic which can be unbearable, especially close to the Italian border.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,291
Run up the Mangart too if you are in the NW area and it is a clear day. One of the best views in the Alps, and a fun ride up.

Slovenia is also relatively inexpensive too. I know a guy that spent a week just kicking around and loved it.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Just would like some info, I hear or read rather, its confusing as hell and no street view.....as of yet. Any cool places to go/see.....whatever. I realize this is a pretty general question but I would just like to get a sense of what the countryside/ city/ riding is like in that country.

Thanks
Read...and gawk at endless pics, maybe?
2009 we spend a few days in the north...and the neighbouring Friuli in Italy.
Check into this
http://www.austouring.com/forum/show...angart&page=12

Post #58 gets you straight across the border from Austria, after that it's 4 days in northern SLO, followed by the Friuli and Dolomites.
Hope you'll enjoy

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 385
Spent a month riding in the Balkans this June/July, including Slovenia. Very easy, very pretty, very civilized. Essentially zero break-in time for a westerner. Go and enjoy. Mid July is the start date for the tourist season, so May or June to early July would be preferable.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
The Mangart (as has been mentioned), the Vrsic and Predil Passes, Lake Bled, stunning scenery.

I found the deserted border crossing at the Predil Pass interesting. The old "Iron Curtain" seems to have rusted away - not a soul to be seen. I almost expected to see tumbleweeds.

Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
motobaer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I would like to add the winegrowin region around JERUZALEM:
curvy roads and delicious wine.

The area at the coast at Portorož and Piran is very touristy, but worth a stop.

MOTOBAER
motobaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I found the deserted border crossing at the Predil Pass interesting. The old "Iron Curtain" seems to have rusted away - not a soul to be seen. I almost expected to see tumbleweeds.

Actually Slovenia entered the EU a few years ago, thus border crossings disappeared.

Heck many of the Swiss crossings are now abandon. Last year I was riding the far Western boarder between Switzerland and France, we crossed in and out 4 or 5 times in one day, none were manned.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549

Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Actually Slovenia entered the EU a few years ago, thus border crossings disappeared.
Quite a change from the mid-70s when it took me about 45 minutes to enter Yugoslavia from Trieste.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
exbee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I just got back from a trip that included Slovenia a little over a month ago. It's an amazing place to ride a motorcycle. Really good twisty roads everywhere, stunning scenery, and great people. I was very impressed with the country.

exbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Last time I went through a manned checkpoint, my Pillion offered him a flower, he smiled a little, though trying to be stoic.

The story behind the flower is this, I was riding a woman pillion and she would pick flowers off the rock walls on the fly. When ever I saw some growing out of the walls, I would get as close as I could so she could reach out and pluck them on the move.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Cool gesture that was, and I bet that the smile on the border patrol men's face was there for some time after you passed the checkpoint

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is offline   Reply With Quote