ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Does the smart phone need a cell signal for the gps to work?Alot of places on the west side of the usa have no cell service-like nevada.
It depends upon the Manufacturer. Some do, some don't.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
NJDirtRiders OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Does the smart phone need a cell signal for the gps to work?Alot of places on the west side of the usa have no cell service-like nevada.
Good question
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
NJDirtRiders OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Verizon ? IPhone 5,
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDirtRiders View Post
Verizon ? IPhone 5,
The iPhone5 has Assisted-GPS (more accurate when Cell Tower is available) and GLONASS (Russian constellation).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
NJDirtRiders OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Think I'm going to go designated GPS and keep the iPhone for a back up
Again thanks everyone!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
No.
Virtually all smartphones have built in GPS hardware. Most now even have Glonass hardware.
If you use online maps, then you would be out of luck. But I have a number of mapping apps on my phone. Two of them have the maps stored on the phone, so they work everywhere.

worwig screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 10:42 AM
worwig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #22
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Your comments are all true -- but finding them in a single App loaded on a single smart-device that actually does meet ALL of the criteria is not true. I cover most of this in my Monterra Review.
single application that does all of the above: (all of these are android, most free) oruxmaps, dualsportmaps, sygic, osmand/osmand+, backcountrynavigator, motionx (iphone, ipad only)

Quote:
Most smartphones fall short in two areas: (1) If they are truly Rugged and meet a minimum of IP67, when you connect power you compromise the IP. USB ports are not rugged and will fail over time and (2) I have yet to find a smartphone that has a truly sunlight readable display while mounted on your bike.
1) some (few, but it's coming) have wireless charging. mine does, but i did it myself. there is no comprimising or stress on the device with inductive/wireless charging.
2) put a shade on it ? i see a LOT of gps standalones that have shades wrapped around em.

Quote:
But, as I suggested to the OP, not everyone needs/wants these features. He simply asked why folks use a dedicated GPS device.

i really dig these "but smartphones can't _____" threads. they're usually well intended, but wrong.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

no, there is no cellular signal needed for triangulation, just like standalone gps's.

yes, the phones/standalones need to have maps loaded for an area prior to going 'offline'.

i have the entire USofA in about 700Mb of vector based maps, on my phones sdcard. if the phone is killed, i swap out the sdcard to a new phone, load up my app, and continue. tracks/routes are saved and waypoints saved at x intervals, to the sdcard.

i also have topo, hillshading, and 5x5 coordinate sections (about 200mb total) for completely offline route/track planning, AND completely offline NAVigation.

the huge benefit of the smartphone is: wireless connectivity to SHARE MAPS, routes, tracks, waypoints, and every piece of information on the phone, via bluetooth, wifi, or cellular data, with other people. i can dump the entire route, MAPs, and waypoints to another phone in a few minutes, including sharing the actual application with them.

the standalones are fantastic in their ruggedness, but are lacking in flexibility and pricing.

we all have opinions though ;-)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I use a smartphone, or my tablet usually, for everything.

BUT, they are not prefect, and if you have the money to burn a standalone can be more convienent. If your short on funds a smartphone can do all the above, and so much more, that its the easy choice. But if you can justify the expense you will probably be better served by a standalone.

My biggest complaint is the combination of cases, mounts and charging. Having your phone on the bike means you need to take it on and off frequently, but finding a mount and case combination that also allows easy operation and easy removal is difficult. Typically there are mounts, but not usually ones that work with a case. The ones that do are typically generic holders and their ability to hold a phone in rough terrain is questionable. RAM mounts are nice, but make operating the phone more difficult and also make it hard to see and harder to remove. Plus all the fiddling with the charging cable, and the case, and then getting it Mount d again is a headache.

There are apps out there that do everything a standalone can do, and more, but you have to find them. The nice thing is they are much cheaper (imagine that standalone you bought doesn't do that one thing you MUST have) so buying a new app is a lot cheaper. Plus, there is no reason you can't have two, or three, or more, apps for when you need them. With a standalone its you get what you pay for, or buy another and run two. Its nice that a new feature is simply a click or two away.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
[B]

i really dig these "but smartphones can't _____" threads. they're usually well intended, but wrong.
I'm not sure one way or the other if dissecting my comments is of much help to the OP. In my Review you would have noticed I mentioned much of this. The key for most users in not that "it can be done by a tech savvy user" but rather is it available in a single package. As for using a shade on devices, that's a great measure of it lack of sunlight readability - which, as you noted, a lot of older GPS receivers have a problem with as well.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
I use a smartphone, or my tablet usually, for everything.

BUT, they are not prefect, and if you have the money to burn a standalone can be more convienent. If your short on funds a smartphone can do all the above, and so much more, that its the easy choice. But if you can justify the expense you will probably be better served by a standalone.

My biggest complaint is the combination of cases, mounts and charging. Having your phone on the bike means you need to take it on and off frequently, but finding a mount and case combination that also allows easy operation and easy removal is difficult. Typically there are mounts, but not usually ones that work with a case. The ones that do are typically generic holders and their ability to hold a phone in rough terrain is questionable. RAM mounts are nice, but make operating the phone more difficult and also make it hard to see and harder to remove. Plus all the fiddling with the charging cable, and the case, and then getting it Mount d again is a headache.

There are apps out there that do everything a standalone can do, and more, but you have to find them. The nice thing is they are much cheaper (imagine that standalone you bought doesn't do that one thing you MUST have) so buying a new app is a lot cheaper. Plus, there is no reason you can't have two, or three, or more, apps for when you need them. With a standalone its you get what you pay for, or buy another and run two. Its nice that a new feature is simply a click or two away.
Nice summary, and the reason that Garmin created the Monterra. It has all of the "standalone" features that most riders want and if there is some capability that isn't covered, you can add whatever Android Apps you wish.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not sure one way or the other if dissecting my comments is of much help to the OP. In my Review you would have noticed I mentioned much of this. The key for most users in not that "it can be done by a tech savvy user" but rather is it available in a single package. As for using a shade on devices, that's a great measure of it lack of sunlight readability - which, as you noted, a lot of older GPS receivers have a problem with as well.
Hmm, tech savvy isn't needed for basecamp usage? Just a joke, keep reading:)

Read your review, but it's the wrong title of what you did there. By today's standards"review" means spouting about what someone thinks isor might be possible, you did much better town just a review.

That's one of the most thorough (and properly critical) exams of a device I've read recently. Great job!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Hmm, tech savvy isn't needed for basecamp usage? Just a joke, keep reading:)

Read your review, but it's the wrong title of what you did there. By today's standards"review" means spouting about what someone thinks isor might be possible, you did much better town just a review.

That's one of the most thorough (and properly critical) exams of a device I've read recently. Great job!
Thanks, much appreciated.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Smart phone versus Garmin

Add "Microsoft Streets and Trips" and "EasyGPS" and an Otterbox to my iPhone and I'd take that over any GPS, any day. Bluetooth, Internet,etc are more reasons for a smart phone. A Smart Phone is a programmable device that is far smarter than any GPS...its a matter of time before Garmins are a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
[*]Supports Pre-ride Planning --Smartfone also does this
[*]Finds Stuff for You --Smartfone also does this, and better
[*]Import and navigate Tracks and Routes --Smartfone also does this
[*]Record a Ride --Smartfone also does this
[*]Archive a Ride --Smartfone also does this
[*]Share a Ride --Smartfone also does this
[*]Portable, Ruggedized and Waterproof/Dustproof --SOME Smartfone also are
[*]Glove friendly -- ok , but the new monterra seams to NOT be
[*]Power by Battery and 12vdc --Smartfone also does this with USB adapter - but not batteries
[*]Import and Create Waypoints and Display Their Properties --Smartfone also does this
[*]Reduct Stress and Encourage Exploration --Smartfone also does this
[*]Optional World Wide Maps and Map Types --Smartfone also does this
[*]Software is User Upgradable --Smartfone also does this

It's all in the Software, the dedicated GPS is just like a smartfone , it's a small computer runing linux-like OS or a wince like OS, it's the software that makes it

LewisNClark screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 09:45 AM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
NJDirtRiders OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Designated GPS unit Vs Smart Phone

I use this ( http://www.quadlockcase.com ) mount and case combo and its easy to take your phone on and off in seconds .. I use it on my GS and on my YZ250 woods bike its the most rugged simple holder available and it comes with a rain/mud cover.
Iv crash tested it in the woods a bunch of times and your phone won't budge .
The lock mount fits tubes sizes from 25 - 40mm. you can use O-rings or zip ties to mount it depending if you use it on more then one bike.. I used zip ties and bought a second for my other bike .. Also have the car mount hahaha
For the price it cant be beat

And as far as power I hard wired a iPhone 5 charger just for it but first reinforced the connector end with heat shrink because they like to break there, then ran it threw soft weaved wire loom to keep it from chafing and to make it look sweet

I will be remounting it up by the speedo once i make a cross bar

Mount

Charger

With rain cover

NJDirtRiders screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 06:01 PM
NJDirtRiders is offline   Reply With Quote