Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
people go onto forums and post when they have a problem- so if you search online, you only hear problem problem problem. if the bike it running fine, you never hear about it. --

I once posted a "bike running great, thank you" post just so one such would exist.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,640
My old airhead is running, great, 124,000 miles, shifts wonderfully, speedo works,wiring like new, no circlip or driveshaft issues.. valves not receding, bike doesn't wobble when fully loaded at speed, brakes are great, hall effect sensor works great, charging problems nonexistent, sub frame not broken, Bosch starter doing what it should, flywheel ring gear mounted solidly to flywheel, neutral switch dry.......just a great bike no issues...

see my signature below
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
I'm by no means a guru but I'd be glad to run over to Redstone next spring. We love that little town. Last time thru we stayed right on the river at a quaint lodge called the Redstone Cliffs.

Dave
I'm good friends with the owner of The Cliffs, also the managers. That place is for sale right now, listed for only $899,000, if you can believe that! I live about 1/2 mile from there, just up the highway from the coke ovens. Feel free to PM me and drop by any time! Our place is alway open to riders and on the tent-space list, which is actually a spare bedroom with private bath right down the hall from an 1100 sq ft heated garage with white epoxy painted floors and lots of tools.

Loving the posts in this thread, good knowledge, great sarcasm and friendly oddities. Picking up the bike on or around Dec 3 and I can't wait to get it here, ride it, and to start going over it mechanically.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
It's easy to get spooked by all the stories you read about how bad these bikes are.

Know that you are really riding a ticking time bomb. In no short order
Your drive shaft will explode.
If it's not out of phase it will be soon enough.
Your transmission doesn't have a C clip and it will fall apart
The charging system doesn't charge
The coils are junk
You should have bought a G/S since everyone knows that a wet shaft is better than a dry shaft
Your canister is receeding and you have the wrong gasket, it will cost you $2,000 in 1995 dollars to fix it

Remember...
The bean can should be either swapped out for a one with points, or one totally electronic, or rebuilt with parts sourced from some shady hall effect sensor dealer.
The heads need to be double plugged. Or not
The K&N filter is just fine, as long as you don't clean it. and you trim it.
Or it's not and your engine will explode
To use the oil with the most zinc but not too much zinc
Make a special blend of grease for your splines so you can grease them and they will promptly dry out in a week all while flinging your special grease sauce all over the clutch.
That when you are adjusting your valves, in the parking lot of your motel, that you make sure they are nice and cold from sitting outside all night. And don't forget to torque the heads but not too much since you might pull a stud...
Your Bosch, Valeo or fill in the blank starter motor is junk, heavy, old, non rebuildable

Oh and always get your info from a website built in 1991 by a colorblind airhead guru who loved to mix font sizes and color, only don't trust what he says since he's wrong most of the except for when he's right...

Or, better yet. Step away from the computer and go for a ride. Unless your bike needs to be worked on. Then work on it, until it's fixed. If you have an issue... You have a very very good chance of getting a reasonable answer from some of the smartest airhead riders around. And you will get some really bad advice from some people here as well, often they are one in the same.

These bikes and the folks that ride them are an intresting bunch. Take everything anybody tells you and look into yourself. BMW riders love, and I mean LOVE to share their wisdom. Some of might even be helpful.

Where is the "like" button?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
My old airhead is running, great, 124,000 miles, shifts wonderfully, speedo works,wiring like new, no circlip or driveshaft issues.. valves not receding, bike doesn't wobble when fully loaded at speed, brakes are great, hall effect sensor works great, charging problems nonexistent, sub frame not broken, Bosch starter doing what it should, flywheel ring gear mounted solidly to flywheel, neutral switch dry.......just a great bike no issues...

see my signature below
I'm optimistic that mine will be equally strong, only nearly 100,000 fewer miles. Great post, love to hear the good stories to.

I've wanted a GSPD for quite some time now!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
I'm optimistic that mine will be equally strong, only nearly 100,000 fewer miles. Great post, love to hear the good stories to.

I've wanted a GSPD for quite some time now!
I think you missed the humor...."see my signature below"
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I think you missed the humor...."see my signature below"
Either I missed the humor, or you did.... ;)
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #23
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372

Good that you read the threads. Gives you an idea where the problem areas lie. I've had mine for about 6 years. Did the same as you, read the threads and came up with a plane. Every year I toss 500 bucks at it in an upgrade, and ride it. A rolling project. It's only left me stranded once (bean can) and it is my touring bike, and when my new bikes are broke. I have a 2012 Multistrada sitting the garage. Last year I took a trip from the Seattle area to the Appalachians on the G/S. Every one asked "why not the Ducati". I said i can fix the G/S at NAPA. I tell every one the Ducati is a toy, the G/S is a legend.

Sure the old BMW is temperamental, usually it's something I screwed up. Or it's just being a bitch. One of the only bikes I ever talk too. Usually it's talking it out of speed wobbles. Which is one of the things I love about that bike. You gotta ride it. It's not like a gold wing, where you are just sitting on it. I am actually less tired riding it because I have to ride it.

So go ride the piss out of it. And remember, it doesn't break down. It has ceased it's forward progress. Check out this clip. This is the beginnings of BMW's reputation. This was a time where if a bike just finished a race, you were doing good. 90mph on the Isle of Man, 1939. What balls!

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #24
type918
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I've been waiting a long time for this thread! It's easy to get spooked by the vast amount of information (and misinformation) but the riding is what it's all about (as everyone here knows).
type918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,184
Rebuilt my R90/6 engine last winter. Found all kinds of issues, some little, some scary, some PO related. BUT, it ran reliably, though weaker than it should have, which is why I took it apart. My point is that even in rough condition, airheads usually still keep ticking, and that's their strong point. Go forth with confidence!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #26
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
people go onto forums and post when they have a problem- so if you search online, you only hear problem problem problem. if the bike it running fine, you never hear about it. --

I once posted a "bike running great, thank you" post just so one such would exist.
I flog my bike around town in the most brutal of ways and is YET to fail me.

90k miles.

Change the oil(s) once in a while.

slap some 60$ tires on it and reuse the tube

flog another year.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #27
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Hell, I don't even bother carrying a tool kit.
SRanger331 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #28
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 371
I've read lots of posts indicating you'll invest 1 to 2K in your new to you bike. I didn't. Mine supposedly had under 15K on the clock (ODO was scrambled) and all I did was catch up on all the maintenance items, fluids, points, bearings, tires etc..., and have managed at least 7K on the bike,a set of tires and it's running fine. 7K racked up after going into the ODO mechanism, twice. Now that was tons of fun. I do all my own work and don't have to pay someone else. And that can keep costs way down. Mine came to me in good running condition to start with.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
BMW riders love, and I mean LOVE to share their wisdom.
I don't think that's unique to BMW riders!
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
I've read lots of posts indicating you'll invest 1 to 2K in your new to you bike. I didn't. Mine supposedly had under 15K on the clock (ODO was scrambled) and all I did was catch up on all the maintenance items, fluids, points, bearings, tires etc..., and have managed at least 7K on the bike,a set of tires and it's running fine. 7K racked up after going into the ODO mechanism, twice. Now that was tons of fun. I do all my own work and don't have to pay someone else. And that can keep costs way down. Mine came to me in good running condition to start with.
I can see easily dropping a grand right away... Thinking about taking care of a couple of the obvious deficiencies over the winter. May or may not upgrade the electrical charging system to the Motoraad Electric Omega, will likely get the Motoraad Electric Bean Can replacement ignition, and I'll certainly get some new tires.

See, these damn threads have me spending money I may not even need to spend!

I've signed up for the Colorado Classic 1000 in June, looking forward to doing the 1000+ miles in a day. I'll need the bike to be ready. Realistically the bike is ready now... Conflicting thoughts, aargh.