User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
test results of IICE Air on a F800GS

This past summer I was a beta tester for 'roger 04 rt' as he developed the BMW-AF-XIED with nightrider.com for the F800. You can read about the beta in this thread, Wideband O2 Sensor for F800S/GS. Along the way I recorded a lot of data with a GS-911 and examined a number of things in service of the beta. As part of the test I used a couple of different intake air temp modifiers. Primarily a Booster Plug put also briefly an IICE Air.

Using the following as my understanding of the settings for the IICE Air, I wanted to share some findings for the IICE Air installed on a 2010 F800GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
It's the same, plus three.

The IICE Air is adjustable to one of 4 settings. The settings represent 4 different 'temperature offsets' of the Intake Air Temperature (IAT).

The 4 settings are:
0C offset (Uses factory-installed IAT sensor)
-10C offset
-20C offset
-30C offset

IICE Air is factory set to -20C offset.

Important note: Without the -10C adjustment, the device will not work with the future products.

At the -20C setting it performs identical to these devices:
Link to other Intake Air Temperature offset devices.
The short story is none of the jumper settings matched the intents. Using a GS-911 to record data, here are the readings for the Intake Air measurement.

For all settings taken with an ambient temperature of 30.5C:
jumper in the 'no change' position - Intake Air reads 32.25C
jumper in the '-10C' position - Intake Air reads 41.25C
jumper in the '-20C' position - Intake Air reads 32.25C
jumper in the '-30C' position - Intake Air reads 24.75C
jumper removed completely - Intake Air reads 20.25C

For comparison, with BoosterPlug installed, Intake Air read 8.25C.

Has anyone else seen this type of results on other F800 setups?
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
While I never actually checked the data stream, I felt a definite improvement with the IICE air thingy. Not exactly the scientific intel you were looking for, I know.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
I measured an IICE Air last year and saw the same thing as you.

The reason is that the R1100/R1150 (Motronic ECUs) have sensors with different resistance versus temperature compared to the F800/R1200 (BMSK based). The resistance at 20C on the BMSK bikes is roughly 2X the resistance of the Motronic bikes. I even bought a sensor for the R1200 to confirm it.

As a result of the IAT sensors being different, the BoosterPlug sold to R1100/R1150 customers is different from the BoosterPlug sold to F800/R1200 customers. I've each flavor of sensor here and have measured both sensors to confirm the difference.

As far as I know, there is only one flavor of IICE Air. What that means is that in the -20C setting, the IICE Air does not shift the temperature of BMSK-based bikes at all, just as you observed.

All you've got to do is attach a GS-911 to check if your IAT device is actually doing anything. Compare before to after as jscottyk did.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 04:12 AM
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
While I never actually checked the data stream, I felt a definite improvement with the IICE air thingy. Not exactly the scientific intel you were looking for, I know.
Bayner, thanks for reporting in. I'm glad that the IICE Air is improving the ride for you. Which jumper setting do you normally ride with?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I measured an IICE Air last year and saw the same thing as you.

The reason is that the R1100/R1150 (Motronic ECUs) have sensors with different resistance versus temperature compared to the F800/R1200 (BMSK based). The resistance at 20C on the BMSK bikes is roughly 2X the resistance of the Motronic bikes. I even bought a sensor for the R1200 to confirm it.

As a result of the IAT sensors being different, the BoosterPlug sold to R1100/R1150 customers is different from the BoosterPlug sold to F800/R1200 customers. I've each flavor of sensor here and have measured both sensors to confirm the difference.

As far as I know, there is only one flavor of IICE Air. What that means is that in the -20C setting, the IICE Air does not shift the temperature of BMSK-based bikes at all, just as you observed.

All you've got to do is attach a GS-911 to check if your IAT device is actually doing anything. Compare before to after as jscottyk did.
Roger, thanks for that info. The difference in resistance between the Motronic and BMS-K units definitely sounds like the underlying driver for why my readings are so off.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
I think with the IICE unit that "no jumper" is an invalid setup for the device...

i.e. the jumper is always supposed to be installed in ONE of the four positions....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I think with the IICE unit that "no jumper" is an invalid setup for the device...

i.e. the jumper is always supposed to be installed in ONE of the four positions....
Yes, I think you are correct. I tested that setup to see what I would happen after the none of the previous test proved to provide the intended temp delta.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

It's invalid because from an electrical standpoint you've created an open circuit. The IIce Air jumper selections place one of three thermistors in series with the existing sensor on the bike. The 0 degree offset just passes through the bike's sensor signal and would do the same thing as removing the IIce-Air and plugging your original sensor back in.

A good question is why is the same device being sold to owners of anything other than an 1150 for which it was designed?
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
A good question is why is the same device being sold to owners of anything other than an 1150 for which it was designed?
That is a very good question indeed.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Bayner, thanks for reporting in. I'm glad that the IICE Air is improving the ride for you. Which jumper setting do you normally ride with?

I know I had it on the -20 setting initially. I think it changed it to the maximum after that though.
It's interesting because initially when I installed the thing, it seemed to be effective. Over this last summer though and especially the last few times I've run the bike in the colder weather I asked myself if I thought it had reverted back to it's old ways. I had almost convinced myself that the effect had been adapted out of it and I needed to reset the computer, but I figured it'd happen naturally over the winter when I had the battery out anyways.
Seriously does beg the question of whether it was improved at all along way or what...

I will add however that I'm pretty sure the unit I got was labeled as fitting a 1200/800 rather than the 11XX series.

If this discussion is still active in the next week or so, I'll fire the bike up and check the reading for you. Don't have any spare time until then though.

Bayner screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 02:03 PM Reason: Afterthought
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Seriously does beg the question of whether it was improved at all along way or what...

I will add however that I'm pretty sure the unit I got was labeled as fitting a 1200/800 rather than the 11XX series.
Can't see how that could be. On the order page there are only shipping selections for the same device.

And it states "The IICE Air fits all fuel-injected BMW models.
One size fits all!"

This would appear to be a rather dubious claim. The connector fits several models I suppose .... Of course questioning almost anything over in the Hotrodding the G/S thread can be dodgy. My experience there...

Once you drink the Kool Aid it's too late it seems.
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post

I seem to remember asking that a few years ago...........

GS Addict screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 05:16 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
Laugh

The one I build is specifically designed for the F800GS and is tested for the GS a true -20 degree offset and a true -10 degree offset with the flick of a switch. One thing different from the Parallel to the Gspot fourm I am not allowed to discuss details of how it works here. See my vendor forum if you have questions...

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 04:26 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
One thing different from the Parallel to the Gspot fourm I am not allowed to discuss detailes of how it works here.
How does that work?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
The co-builder of the IICE is also the forum Moderator...
Go to vendor and I will be happy to discuss or PM me for details... I don't want to get in trouble here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
How does that work?