User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Zanne OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
What i need to know? when i chance all of my oils. And thats soon

Can anyone tell me good tips how to do them that i dont make stupid mistakes.
Done them some on my first bike.
I think i know how to do all of them. I have instructions and i asked a guru here in Finland to send me all rings and washers that i need. And i bought a torque wrench 6 to 30 nm...
Zanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Get some moral support

[

I had read so many horror stories, I decided to get some help for my first oil filter change

The fluids are quite straightforward, replace the crush washers as you go and torque as recommended.

Pay close attention when removing the oil filter to the positions of the "O" ring(s) , paper gasket ( if you have one ), metal shim(s) and replace with exactly the same.

Some great help on here.

Let us know your bike details, there may be something that is bike ( model ) specific.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 631
mt 2 cents AGAIN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
[

Pay close attention when removing the oil filter to the positions of the "O" ring(s) , paper gasket ( if you have one ), metal shim(s) and replace with exactly the same.
Dont follow how it was on the bike, find out how it is supposed to be.

Too many PO's didn't do it right and you wll follow the error.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanne View Post
Can anyone tell me good tips how to do them that i dont make stupid mistakes.
Done them some on my first bike.
I think i know how to do all of them. I have instructions and i asked a guru here in Finland to send me all rings and washers that i need. And i bought a torque wrench 6 to 30 nm...
It is easy if you just follow instructions and go slow and careful. The biggest mistake is over tightening plugs and bolts, thereby stripping them.

If you see milky brown colors in transmission or drive line fluid, that means water got in there somehow (rain or condensation). If that is the case, put in new oil, ride the bike until it heats up really well and change out that oil again. That should get things OK.

Best of luck!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Zanne OP
Adventurer

Thanks!
Like the photo!
My model is R80Rt 1986
Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Zanne OP
Adventurer

Hi !

I drained the oils today and removed the oil filter.
And i also checked that my oilfilter cover and the bolts that on the sump near the oilfilter were leaking oil. I washed the engine and put it on for a while since i was suspecting a leak from the area. Now i know that it came from four bolts and oil filter cover. I then putted 10 nm on my new torque wrench, and notised that the bolts were loose, pretty much actually. then i drained it and removed oilfilter and notised that oilfilter cover has a paper gasket that was torn, so that could be the reason for the oil cover leak, since the bolts on the oil cover seemed to be tight enough.

I allso notised that on the manual it says, if you have oil cooler then replace o ring and washer, and if you dont have a oil cooler then just replace the o ring, or something like that.

So i wonder why i had that big washer there also!? i dont have the oil cooler. So should i just put the o ring there when i re install the new filter? or put the o ring and the washer? Offcourse i chance the gasket also.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
On your 86 R80RT in order of assembly you will install:

1) the oil filter

2) add the washer

3) add oring

4) add gasket

5) replace cover

When in doubt about how something should mount look up the parts fiche at a site like Max BMW or even better get that manual.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Zanne OP
Adventurer

Yes i have the manual how to put them in order. Just wondering why i had the washer and O ring. Since in the manual shows that only in the oil cooling models have the washer and o ring. And they advise to chance them both.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
I recently omitted the oil filter gasket the G/S as the o-ring wasn't compressed enough, plus added two shims. This got rid of the seeping at the oil filter gasket. Whether or not the gasket is used depends on how deep the inner canister is.....same with the # of shims.

No oil cooler on the bike.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
Dont follow how it was on the bike, find out how it is supposed to be.

Too many PO's didn't do it right and you wll follow the error.
GOOD Advice.....my first R100S engine had the filter shim in backwards from the previous owner....with the white o-ring against the canister and the thin shim against the cover. Miracle it didn't ruin the engine, luckily the o-ring "squished in" and was secure on the canister lip. I still have the o-ring as evidence of what the "$2000.00 o-ring" would look like.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,005
Most parts sources sell an oil change kit that includes all the parts you may need for many vintage bikes. So a lot of bikes have a piece or two left over. It's not a big deal. There are places that also sell the parts you need in bulk so after you have done this a couple of times you can order 6 or 12 of the parts you use and forget the "kit".

It is up to you to understand what the oil filter system is doing and how to put it together properly. If you have the large white O-ring it is called the $2000 O-ring for a reason.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Zanne OP
Adventurer

I chanced the oil and filter with a sugsess.
now i need info whats the amout of cardan oil in the cardane tube and in the end
I only have german manual so which one goes the 0,15 L and in the other one goes more. I think hinterrandshcwinge is the cardan tube and hinterradantrieb is the one that spins the wheel and its closest to the wheel. so that way 0,15 l should go to the cardane tube.

dont have the manual here and i forgot the amount that goes to the closest to the wheel.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,669
The swingarm tube takes 1/3 cup for short wheelbase or 1/2 cup for long wheelbase bikes. I find it helps to get a small funnel to fit the fill hole on these, and repeatedly squeeze the transmission boot to "pump" the oil in quicker. The rear drive gets filled to the bottom of the threads in the filler hole... same like transmission, and on the center stand.
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,005
I had to look up cardan. Originally I thought you were asking about something else. Us Americans are slow sometimes.

Cardan=Driveshaft

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Zanne OP
Adventurer

Ok. In from finland- Europe/"scandinavia" I tried googleing Those german words thats on my manual, but its supriseingly hard. but now i got it.