User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Donny1973 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
/5 Steering Lock Installation

My bike didn't come with the steering lock key. I've got a new lock assembly and I read on Josh Withers' site that, if the steering stem is removed, you can knock the lock assembly out by using a punch and driving it into the neck without damaging the frame. Any other board members tried this? Am I reading this right? I definitely don't want to screw up the frame.
http://beemersandbits.com/2012/07/st...-lock-install/
Donny1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 826
You might be able to get it out that way but it's not what I do.

Start by removing the chrome cover for the lock. Open the cover then use a long screwdriver from the other side of the frame to tap it off (it's heald in place with a single rivet that the cover pivots on).

Look at your new lock, when the key is in, the key cylinder turns. Select a drill bit close to the size of the diameter of that cylinder and drill the old one down to the screw pin that's on the side of the cylinder. Once that screw pin is drilled past, the whole lock can be withdrawn. Then it's just a matter of turning the key in the new lock and simply slipping it in. Once it's in place, just turn the key back and withdraw the key.

Finish off by tapping the rivet for the cover back on and you're done.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
Here is another resource: http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/index.htm

I've done neither method but when you punch the lock though it will shear the grub screw off that holds the lock place in the frame. Since it's a tiny screw it should pop right off, but I can't speak from personal experience.

So, living though you vicariously, we will all learn....
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,202
...or go to any decent locksmith and they can pick and pull the lock cylinder for you for about $5. Note: that cover is not correct for a /5, should be more oval with the rivet centered in the top. Also, when you get the old lock out, compare it's diameter with the new one. If the new one is too narrow you can pull the cover off the old one, remove all the tumblers and springs and re-install it. Then any key will open it. I won't tell...
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Donny1973 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
...or go to any decent locksmith and they can pick and pull the lock cylinder for you for about $5. Note: that cover is not correct for a /5, should be more oval with the rivet centered in the top. Also, when you get the old lock out, compare it's diameter with the new one. If the new one is too narrow you can pull the cover off the old one, remove all the tumblers and springs and re-install it. Then any key will open it. I won't tell...
I noticed that about the cover and ordered the correct oval one from another vendor. The new lock hasn't arrived yet but I'll check the diameter.
Donny1973 is offline   Reply With Quote