ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
There was a $50 rebate for the Spot Gen3 unit itself that ended on 11/18 which I got in on. I can swear I got an email last week saying there was a new $50 going on thru January but I can't find it right now....I will keep looking and post if I find it.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
TO CONSERVE POWER: Your SPOT unit will automatically turn off after one hour of inactivity unless the unit is being line powered.
This seems really bad. If I read this correctly, if I stop for say an hour and 10 minute break, the unit shuts off. So, do I have to manually turn it back on after every 1+ hour stop? Can someone with a Gen3 confirm that it does or does not automatically turn itself back on when you start moving again after an hour+ stop. If it's true that it doesn't turn itself back on when you move, then this seriously compromises the value of the Gen3.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
This seems really bad. If I read this correctly, if I stop for say an hour and 10 minute break, the unit shuts off. So, do I have to manually turn it back on after every 1+ hour stop? Can someone with a Gen3 confirm that it does or does not automatically turn itself back on when you start moving again after an hour+ stop. If it's true that it doesn't turn itself back on when you move, then this seriously compromises the value of the Gen3.
TO CONSERVE POWER: Your SPOT unit will automatically turn off after one hour of inactivity unless the unit is being line powered. (page 9 of the manual)

To turn back on, use the Power button.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
OP,
Why did you list your blood type ? When you show up in an ER, you are going to be typed and cross-,matched anyway. They are not going to trust info on your Spot.
Does it hurt to put the blood type there? What if this procedure is not used all around the entire world? What if they happen to be out of test reagents for some reason? What if you were out in the middle of nowhere, and time is critical when you get to an ER? Maybe I'm just crazy because I've spent too much time down range, but some websites also indicate that civie Dr's can legally perform emergency blood transfusions without testing.. Better safe than sorry right?..

According to Google "In many situations, there is urgent need for blood before completion of compatibility testing"

The best prep is probably learning first aid yourself though. I heard they don't teach tourniquets to civvies anymore but you might want to learn how to improvise one if you motorbike more than an hour from an ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
I don't understand why they wont sell the real durable blue and white unit to the general public and reserve it's distribution ?
Capitalism. It's more profitable when people have to replace things every few years. My last one broke in the middle of a long trip. This is BS on a SOS device imo and I expected them to fully replace it but no, they don't care. They said I should have signed up for their "product replacement program" at $20/year + $30 deductible for a refurb... At that price, you might as well take the risk and just buy the new model if it breaks. You're still SOL if it breaks when you needed it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
There was a $50 rebate for the Spot Gen3 unit itself that ended on 11/18 which I got in on. I can swear I got an email last week saying there was a new $50 going on thru January but I can't find it right now....I will keep looking and post if I find it.
The same $50 rebate was sent out again in Canada anyways.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
squawk77
Dreamer

Quote:
This seems really bad. If I read this correctly, if I stop for say an hour and 10 minute break, the unit shuts off. So, do I have to manually turn it back on after every 1+ hour stop? Can someone with a Gen3 confirm that it does or does not automatically turn itself back on when you start moving again after an hour+ stop.
It has a vibration sensor to kick it back on. I just placed mine outside in track mode for +2.5 hours. Hit the OK and Track buttons at 2000 after moving from Europe to Asia. I didn't time it but I received the OK msg right away (within minutes). It then sent 3 tracks nearly identical coords at 2010, 2020, and 2030. I left it alone and received no more tracks. After 2 hours I went outside and the light came on as soon as I picked it up (maybe it was always on) I received another track right away.

This tells me Gen 3 has the hardware to double as the new SPOT Trace. I even found the setting to "activate movement alerts" however I get this error when I try to enable it "Your request could not be completed due an error in our system. Please try again later or contact Customer Service." I called CS when I first got it and they said Gen 3 can't use these options... Capitalism strikes again. They also messed up my GEOS account but that's another story.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
TO CONSERVE POWER: Your SPOT unit will automatically turn off after one hour of inactivity unless the unit is being line powered. (page 9 of the manual)

To turn back on, use the Power button.
According to Squaw77, your second sentance is incorrect. Did you find that statement written in SPOT informaion or did you just assume it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
Capitalism strikes again.
Please build your own satellite system and SPOT-like units, on your own money, and provide all the hardware and features we want, for free.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
shu

Oddometer: 979
from SPOT website FAQs Gen 3 Tracker:

Author:SPOT Web Team Article Reference #:AA-00490 Views:524 Date Added:2013-05-16 01:00 PM Last Updated:2013-06-18 06:49 PM 2.5 Rating/ 2 Voters

SPOT Gen3 tracking is smarter than ever! A built in vibration sensor sends tracks only when you are moving. When the device is stationary for more than five minutes SPOT Gen3 will enter Suspended Track mode. SPOT Gen3 will automatically send, at least, one more track from your resting location. While at rest, SPOT Gen3 will not send tracks. Tracking will automatically resume after the vibration sensor detects the unit has begun moving again.

Motion-Activated tracking conserves battery life and reduces duplicated tracks.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
With a handlebar mounted Spot 1, I consistently see an average of about 3 points an hour. So that's 50% of the time they get through. I'd say 1/2 my riding is national forest, so that seems good all things considered. If I knew my sucess rate would quadruple, I might consider the Spot 3 and 2.5 min interval. I'm not sure it would. Here's a sample track of a day trip doing the first segment of the WABDR:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...251ecae697d34a

There are regulary 15 mile gaps in my tracks, and they are often in the areas where I'd be hardest to find. The thing works great on the interstate though, right where i don't need it. I suspect with 2.5min tracking it would work even better on the interstate, but I'd still be 5 minutes apart at best on the trail.

I carry a PLB too, it's on my person, and it's the medical emergency device. A lot more power, and a beacon to track for when I'm in the trees. They are $250 and last five years, $0 service.

I've thought through various scenarios:

- I'm hurt, and can't activate the PLB or it doesn't survive a crash -> spot tracking and the route I sent out before my day are all they'll have
- I'm hurt, I can activate the PLB -> GPS location if the sat can see me, beacon for homing, and the spot track and the route too. It's amazing how many places have cell service where I don't expect it, so that's a potential option as well.
- Mechanical failure that can't be resolved -> cell maybe, or I'm walking. I've played out the HELP message scenarios and I think the notion I'll get a response out in the middle of the woods is pretty weak. A sat -phone would be nice, but they are spendy service wise and you don't get tracking. The other option is texting away on a delorme in reach. I think that could be a reasonable alternative, to be able to actaully communicate, and to track too. Their tracking completion rate is better too.

Before I went to SPOT3 / extreme tracking I'll think really hard about the delorme in reach. Two way communication has a lot more value to me than the higher tracking granularity.

From a pure medical safety perspective I think a PLB is a huge advantage. It has a MUCH more effective signal, both in terms of raw power and and propagation. It's downside is you have to be able to deploy it.

Riding with a similarly equipped buddy makes all of this better unless you run into each other and/or both go off the same cliff!

I've got about 6 mos to go on my spot subscription, I'm tempted to buy an inreach and run them concurrently and post up tracks all my rides. My hypothesis is, based on the allegedly superior iridium service, that I'd see the same improvement in actual track points as the Spot 3 / extreme, and have the two way advantage. Now if only I had $250 + 25$/mo lying around.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #24
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Spot 1, 2 & 3 (in sequence) user here. The units have become progressively better in tracking ability, and I'm pretty happy with the Gen 3 unit overall.

I recently logged into my Spot account and it told me that there was a firmware update available for my unit. I plugged it in and it was a painless process.

I love technlogy when it works
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
We had a pretty good snow storm in Southern Utah yesterday. Not sure this is normal but spot wouldn't even track at all. Is this because of cloud cover? I had the Spot Gen 3 on put it in track mode, outside with clear visibility to the sky and sent my son out on the RZR. He was gone for about 2hrs. We were worried about him and so I went in to track him on the computer. It didn't even ever show the unit was turned on let alone 1 single track mark.. I was pretty bummed about that.. That seems like a condition where I would really want my Spot 3 to work and it didn't. Not even one bit..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,082
Re: the 1 hour of inactivity - inactivity means the unit is on but NOT in Tracking mode.

If it's in tracking mode, it is not 'inactive'.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #27
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Heavy precipitation will suck a satellite signal dry. I spent time on a microwave repeater site in Italy in a past life, and we could tell how bad the fog was by the loss of signal strength.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #28
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
According to Squaw77, your second sentance is incorrect. Did you find that statement written in SPOT informaion or did you just assume it?

Please build your own satellite system and SPOT-like units, on your own money, and provide all the hardware and features we want, for free.
It was cut and pasted from the SPOT PDF file made by the manufacturer. Don't be an asshat, Nancy.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
squawk77
Dreamer

Quote:
Predatory business is one thing for consumer junk and cell phones, but some business models succeed with a different attitude like I would expect for an SOS service. I think you'll see Spot lose a lot of market share to Delorme. No I can't build my own satellite system, but the military built GPS and in some countries if you need help it might actually be military SAR coming to the rescue. In many countries you don't have to pay for EMS or SAR.. but when I do pay extra for SOS I do expect more than a cold shoulder when they fail in the middle of a long trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
- I'm hurt, and can't activate the PLB or it doesn't survive a crash -> spot tracking and the route I sent out before my day are all they'll have
- I'm hurt, I can activate the PLB -> GPS location if the sat can see me, beacon for homing, and the spot track and the route too. It's amazing how many places have cell service where I don't expect it, so that's a potential option as well.
- Mechanical failure that can't be resolved -> cell maybe, or I'm walking. I've played out the HELP message scenarios and I think the notion I'll get a response out in the middle of the woods is pretty weak. A sat -phone would be nice, but they are spendy service wise and you don't get tracking. The other option is texting away on a delorme in reach. I think that could be a reasonable alternative, to be able to actaully communicate, and to track too. Their tracking completion rate is better too.
This is a pretty good run down. I figure the first line of defence is a cell phone and Spot is my backup. Spot provides a track to retrace steps if one just disappeared or couldn't activate EMS, and it can also call for non-emergency help. A real PLB is built to last a lot longer than a consumer grade Spot and also works on the more robust satellite system (built for military rather than profit). Both Spot and Delorme use smaller satellite constellations and have limitations. Both a PLB and a cell phone can activate EMS for free but if you don't pay the Spot bill, it won't do a thing.

Maybe a Spot/Delorme mounted on the bike and a PLB in a pocket/backpack would be the ideal setup.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Both Spot and Delorme use smaller satellite constellations
The Iridium satellte system that the DeLorme inReach uses is a far bigger constellation than ANY military built satellite system.

Quote:
Both a PLB and a cell phone can activate EMS for free but if you don't pay the Spot bill, it won't do a thing.
Where can you get a PLB for free, and where can you get a cell phone for free with free monthly service? They are NOT free.