ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Seth650 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
catskill snowmobile trails

Are the Catskill NY state land snowmobile trails (legally) rideable? Never saw a motorcycle on one.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,853
With snow or without?
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Most of the NY state snowmobile trails cross private lands. In the summer months fences, etc go up, blocking access.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,012
I doubt it.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 547
Can't say in the Catskills but in the North Country the majority are not (legally) rideable. There are exceptions though as many connectors etc are on unplowed town roads which you have every right to be on.

That is not to say that I haven't taken the TW200 out on them quite a bit

Be forewarned though that 98% of the people you meet on snowmobiles will yell things at you, call you names, etc. because you are "tearing up their trails" which they spent a lot of money to groom and turn into super highways
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Can't say in the Catskills but in the North Country the majority are not (legally) rideable. There are exceptions though as many connectors etc are on unplowed town roads which you have every right to be on.

That is not to say that I haven't taken the TW200 out on them quite a bit

Be forewarned though that 98% of the people you meet on snowmobiles will yell things at you, call you names, etc. because you are "tearing up their trails" which they spent a lot of money to groom and turn into super highways
Ever see what a wheeled vehicle will do to a snowmobile trail?

Though when the conditions are right for a bike it won't even leave tracks.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
You better not mess up their drunk highways!

How are the locals supposed to get from bar to bar in the winter if you tear the shit up of their trails riding on the dirt during the summer and piss off the land owners?

The snowmobiles are "tolerated" since the snow "protects" the ground.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
You better not mess up their drunk highways!

How are the locals supposed to get from bar to bar in the winter if you tear the shit up of their trails riding on the dirt during the summer and piss off the land owners?

The snowmobiles are "tolerated" since the snow "protects" the ground.

ac
Now that's fucked up right there.
So anybody who rides a sled is a drunk?
I also was refering to tearing up the snow covered trails ,not during the summer.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Now that's fucked up right there.
So anybody who rides a sled is a drunk?
I also was refering to tearing up the snow covered trails ,not during the summer.

Clearly.

I guess there is no jest in this thread.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,588
Please.. stay off the snowmobile trails.

Nearly all of the 10,000 miles of snowmobile trails in NY are cut, signed, maintained and groomed by volunteers in over 200 clubs state wide. Signs magically go up in the fall and come down in the spring, thanks to the 5% or less of snowmobile riders who step up to do all the work.

These same volunteers have to go door to door, every year, and obtain permission for those trails to cross private landowners' land. Even though the NYS Snowmobile Association carries a large liability insurance policy, many landowners are reluctant to agree to have a trail on their property.

98% of the trail system is on private land, and it only takes one sled with loud pipes, one ATV out for a joy ride, or one dirt bike tearing it up before the season starts, to close a segment of trail. Then those volunteers have to find a re-route.

The whole operation is only partially reimbursed from the Snowmobile Trail Fund, which is funded by snowmobile registration dollars (not tax dollars from the general public). The cost of maintaining snowmobile trails exceeds what is collected in registration dollars, so guess what, those volunteers in the snowmobile clubs hold fundraisers to make up the difference.

The snowmobile trail system is a fragile thing. Please - don't break it.

As for snowmobilers being largely drunks, that is a stereotype, and that too is changing. Law enforcement has a presence on the trails and the tickets stick.

The author is the General Manager of the New York State Snowmobile Association.

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Clearly.

I guess there is no jest in this thread.
So you're just trolling?

Nice

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Old 12-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So you're just trolling?

Nice
Yup, trolling. Exactly. You must be on to me.

I guess you missed the 2nd half of my post that was entirely serious.

"in the winter if you tear the shit up of their trails riding on the dirt during the summer and piss off the land owners?

The snowmobiles are "tolerated" since the snow "protects" the ground."

I've been up there, ridden a bunch of the snowmobile trails years back. The system is amazing. One conversation with someone "in the know" and it is plain as day how fragile the whole situation is.

Of course, if you hang out in a bar while on a trip any time of the year and get on the topic of snowmobiles, there is always some drunk who "can't wait for the season" so he doesn't have to deal with the police on his "ride" home.

I truly hope they do crack down on the drunk snowmobiling. All it will take is some drunk asshat to kill someone's kid out on a snowmobiling/camping journey and the whole thing is over.

ac
Old 12-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Quote:
Yup, trolling. Exactly. You must be on to me.

I guess you missed the 2nd half of my post that was entirely serious.

"in the winter if you tear the shit up of their trails riding on the dirt during the summer and piss off the land owners?

The snowmobiles are "tolerated" since the snow "protects" the ground."

I've been up there, ridden a bunch of the snowmobile trails years back. The system is amazing. One conversation with someone "in the know" and it is plain as day how fragile the whole situation is.

Of course, if you hang out in a bar while on a trip any time of the year and get on the topic of snowmobiles, there is always some drunk who "can't wait for the season" so he doesn't have to deal with the police on his "ride" home.

I truly hope they do crack down on the drunk snowmobiling. All it will take is some drunk asshat to kill someone's kid out on a snowmobiling/camping journey and the whole thing is over.

ac
So what are you getting at?

Do you condone riding where you clearly shouldn't?
Is it ok if it just fucks snowmobilers?
Do landowners not have the right to decide to let sleds and not ATV's and bikes on their land?
Did you just listen to one drunk asshole talk about drinking and riding or actually have some firsthand experience about "drunk snowmobilers".

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

natedog39 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 04:13 PM
Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Bluhduh

Snowmobiles generate a lot of money for townships up here in St Lawrence County that have trail system access. They are a powerful lobby group for local trail use, probably the equivalent of the AMA, They may be thought of as "bar to bar" when really its " lodging to fuel stop to fuel stop to restaurant to lodging" You should probably stay on their good side. Our local ATV groups have gained more access to these trails but much is private land with limited and or questionable availability. For some reason the ATV clubs arent in love with motorcycles either? Also during the summer months these trails can be unpassable as frozen water is easier to travel on, and deep snow hides a lot of obstacles. That's the beauty of it for the landowner is that there is no damage to their property. If you ran several hundred motorcycles across a trail for three months in the summer it wouldn't be much of a trail, and the land owner would be pissed. Im not saying its fair, Ive ridden around gates and ended up in camp backyards, its just the way it is. Hi Operose. emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So what are you getting at?

Do you condone riding where you clearly shouldn't?
Is it ok if it just fucks snowmobilers?
Do landowners not have the right to decide to let sleds and not ATV's and bikes on their land?
Did you just listen to one drunk asshole talk about drinking and riding or actually have some firsthand experience about "drunk snowmobilers".
Where do you read ANY of that in what I wrote?

I don't condone anything. Each individual is responsible for their own actions. Who the hell am I to "condone" it and what would it even matter? Go ahead, next time you get pulled over tell the cop I condoned your offense. Let me know how that goes.

Who wants to fuck snowmobilers? I assume there are some that might be hot, but from the ones I have seen most are men statistically and that just isn't my thing.

I believe a landowner should be able to decide whatever they like. Show up on my land uninvited and you'll find me with a sidearm asking why.

I've seen plenty. I've run into guys talking about bar hopping on at least 3 separate occasions while hanging out in upstate NY on vacations for other reasons. When I rented a snowmobile to go exploring, the manager even commented about how many people use the trails for bar hopping.

I'm not sure why you are singling me out as some vicious person. I made one comment in jest, further DEFENDING the snowmobile trail system and pointing out that bikes/atvs damage the land in manners that would result to trails closing.

I'm not sure where you read that I want every person to get out there ATVs with open pipes and fresh knobbies to do donuts on every cemetery in upstate NY, but I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding my posts.

Clearly my sense of humor didn't come through to the internet. Sorry, seriously, sorry. I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

I think the snowmobile trail system in NY is completely awesome and an asset that I hope to get more chances to enjoy.

And back to the OP's question..."No, you cannot legally ride the Catskill snowmobile trails on anything other than a snowmobile pursuant to the rules of the land."

ac

avc8130 screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 07:26 PM