ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #16
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Where do you read ANY of that in what I wrote?

I don't condone anything. Each individual is responsible for their own actions. Who the hell am I to "condone" it and what would it even matter? Go ahead, next time you get pulled over tell the cop I condoned your offense. Let me know how that goes.

Who wants to fuck snowmobilers? I assume there are some that might be hot, but from the ones I have seen most are men statistically and that just isn't my thing.

I believe a landowner should b se able to decide whatever they like. Show up on my land uninvited and you'll find me with a sidearm asking why.

I've seen plenty. I've run into guys talking about bar hopping on at least 3 separate occasions while hanging out in upstate NY on vacations for other reasons. When I rented a snowmobile to go exploring, the manager even commented about how many people use the trails for bar hopping.

I'm not sure why you are singling me out as some vicious person. I made one comment in jest, further DEFENDING the snowmobile trail system and pointing out that bikes/atvs damage the land in manners that would result to trails closing.

I'm not sure where you read that I want every person to get out there ATVs with open pipes and fresh knobbies to do donuts on every cemetery in upstate NY, but I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding my posts.

Clearly my sense of humor didn't come through to the internet. Sorry, seriously, sorry. I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

I think the snowmobile trail system in NY is completely awesome and an asset that I hope to get more chances to enjoy.

And back to the OP's question..."No, you cannot legally ride the Catskill snowmobile trails on anything other than a snowmobile pursuant to the rules of the land."

ac
So snowmobiles are"tolerated" because the ground is protected.
Ok ..
Your vast experience renting sleds has shown you there's a problem with alcohol and riding.
Great,have a nice day.
__________________

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #17
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
So snowmobiles are"tolerated" because the ground is protected.
Ok ..
Your vast experience renting sleds has shown you there's a problem with alcohol and riding.
Great,have a nice day.


Fuck you,you jrunk snowmobile'n Eco terrorist!


You just need a bike ride.
__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
So snowmobiles are"tolerated" because the ground is protected.
Ok ..
Your vast experience renting sleds has shown you there's a problem with alcohol and riding.
Great,have a nice day.
Wow. You just won't give up, will you?

Go ahead, go ride an ATV through a farm field. "A trail is a trail". I'm sure when the farmer comes back and sees what 1 season of wheeled vehicles does he won't be signing up for that snowmobile trail next year. It is a FACT that the snow protects the ground underneath from the damage a snowmobile COULD cause.

Look, we ALL know how these situations work. EVERYTHING this forum stands for is on thin ice as eco-nazis and the general public doesn't like ANY of the activities this collective enjoys:

motorcycles
dirt bikes
atvs
snowmobiles
etc

In most of the off road riding threads everyone cracks down on "image". From what I have seen, in MY experience, the guys I ran into in upstate didn't seem to realize the TREASURE they had in the snowmobile trail system. The image the locals I ran into on multiple occasions in different locations was not a positive one. In fact, talking to people in other areas of the Northeast about it, all seemed to know the stereotype.

Obviously there are exceptions to every stereotype, and most stereotypes aren't even the norm. However, this damages the image nonetheless.

Say what you want about me just being a "renter". Fine. Fuck me. I won't come pour my money in any more.

I don't remember the exact costs, but I can tell you this:

6 guys renting a house for a weekend, eating at restaurants for 3 meals/day, paying to rent snowmobiles and buying gas and supplies we were too stupid to bring (think balaclavas here) certainly dumped some good cash into the local economy.

I'm not sure what is up your ass about what I have posted. I've done nothing but tout how awesome the trail system is, and I even tried to prevent the OP from threatening it by riding his motorcycle on it no matter how cool that seems or even LOGICAL it might seem.

I merely stated that I didn't get the feeling from the locals that I have run into that they truly understood what they had there, and that they were willing to put it all at risk to be able to bar hop in the snow.

I know the roads are solidly salted and the weather is cold, but go for a ride man. You seem tense.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 120
Funny thing about that.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Wow. You just won't give up, will you?

Go ahead, go ride an ATV through a farm field. "A trail is a trail". I'm sure when the farmer comes back and sees what 1 season of wheeled vehicles does he won't be signing up for that snowmobile trail next year. It is a FACT that the snow protects the ground underneath from the damage a snowmobile COULD cause.

Look, we ALL know how these situations work. EVERYTHING this forum stands for is on thin ice as eco-nazis and the general public doesn't like ANY of the activities this collective enjoys:

motorcycles
dirt bikes
atvs
snowmobiles
etc

In most of the off road riding threads everyone cracks down on "image". From what I have seen, in MY experience, the guys I ran into in upstate didn't seem to realize the TREASURE they had in the snowmobile trail system. The image the locals I ran into on multiple occasions in different locations was not a positive one. In fact, talking to people in other areas of the Northeast about it, all seemed to know the stereotype.

Obviously there are exceptions to every stereotype, and most stereotypes aren't even the norm. However, this damages the image nonetheless.

Say what you want about me just being a "renter". Fine. Fuck me. I won't come pour my money in any more.

I don't remember the exact costs, but I can tell you this:

6 guys renting a house for a weekend, eating at restaurants for 3 meals/day, paying to rent snowmobiles and buying gas and supplies we were too stupid to bring (think balaclavas here) certainly dumped some good cash into the local economy.

I'm not sure what is up your ass about what I have posted. I've done nothing but tout how awesome the trail system is, and I even tried to prevent the OP from threatening it by riding his motorcycle on it no matter how cool that seems or even LOGICAL it might seem.

I merely stated that I didn't get the feeling from the locals that I have run into that they truly understood what they had there, and that they were willing to put it all at risk to be able to bar hop in the snow.

I know the roads are solidly salted and the weather is cold, but go for a ride man. You seem tense.

ac

Funny thing,


One if my cousins lives in Vermont. This summer at the beach house he was bitching about how many of his snowmobiling friends can't go into Canada because of..................DUI's.

Funny how most stereotypes are somehow based in truth.

I hope the snowmobiling community in that area is able to clean up it's image. It sucks when the whole group gets painted with the same brush............but it's not like some smear campaign based on nothing.

Oh yeah, I've stopped riding my bike some places that cleary do not appreciate how much money motorcyclists spend in their otherwise dead economy...................so fuck them.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
Funny thing,


One if my cousins lives in Vermont. This summer at the beach house he was bitching about how many of his snowmobiling friends can't go into Canada because of..................DUI's.

Funny how most stereotypes are somehow based in truth.

I hope the snowmobiling community in that area is able to clean up it's image. It sucks when the whole group gets painted with the same brush............but it's not like some smear campaign based on nothing.

Oh yeah, I've stopped riding my bike some places that cleary do not appreciate how much money motorcyclists spend in their otherwise dead economy...................so fuck them.
Just curious,did your cousin's friends get their DUI's in cars or on sleds?
This painting with a single brush you speak of is what looks to be happening here .
Personally I think that's fucked up.
Now meatstick has his panties wadded up so tight it's cut off the circulation to his brain .
Or so it seems from that last book of gibberish .
__________________

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
operose
Mama tried
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: "upper upstate" NY
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Snowmobiles generate a lot of money for townships up here in St Lawrence County that have trail system access. They are a powerful lobby group for local trail use, probably the equivalent of the AMA, They may be thought of as "bar to bar" when really its " lodging to fuel stop to fuel stop to restaurant to lodging" You should probably stay on their good side. Our local ATV groups have gained more access to these trails but much is private land with limited and or questionable availability. For some reason the ATV clubs arent in love with motorcycles either? Also during the summer months these trails can be unpassable as frozen water is easier to travel on, and deep snow hides a lot of obstacles. That's the beauty of it for the landowner is that there is no damage to their property. If you ran several hundred motorcycles across a trail for three months in the summer it wouldn't be much of a trail, and the land owner would be pissed. Im not saying its fair, Ive ridden around gates and ended up in camp backyards, its just the way it is. Hi Operose. emti
Hi emti

Things sure got tense in here huh? Get ahold of me when the weather breaks and we can go riding. I have cut some singletrack on (MY) private property and have more to go.

It is only early December and everybody is at each other's throats
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 120
I didn't bother to ask or care for that matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Just curious,did your cousin's friends get their DUI's in cars or on sleds?
This painting with a single brush you speak of is what looks to be happening here .
Personally I think that's fucked up.
Now meatstick has his panties wadded up so tight it's cut off the circulation to his brain .
Or so it seems from that last book of gibberish .
I didn't bother to ask, or care for that matter, how they got their DUI's.

Before I go on let me say I think the comment that started all this was little more than one of those off hand one liners that we all would have had a good laugh at if we were standing around a fire drinking.......the internet is a funny place.

As for WHERE/HOW they got their DUI's? No idea. He was complaining about how many of his friends can't take their sleds to Canada because of their DUI's and how some of them spend too much time drinking and not enough time on the trails.

Regardless, I think it would be hard to make the argument that they drank enough to get one or more DUI's 8 1/2 months out of the year and then suddenly went dry at the first snow flake.

Take snowmobiles out of the picture for a moment. I own several motorcycles, but only one Harley Davidson. I wear full gear when I ride, even when I ride my HD. I've got stock pipes on ALL my street bikes.

No matter, when people who aren't involved with motorcycles see my on my Harley? I'm the same asshole as the jerk-off who rode thru their town 20 minutes ago with a novelty helmet and straight pipes. Never mind that I upshifted and lugged thru town so as not to disturb their peaceful Sunday, or that I turned my radio down or that I stopped so their kids could cross the street and get their football.

The damage is done by the jerk-offs int he minority who Think it's cool to be assholes.

Like I said, Streotypes don't come from no where. Even if they do suck.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
I didn't bother to ask, or care for that matter, how they got their DUI's.

Before I go on let me say I think the comment that started all this was little more than one of those off hand one liners that we all would have had a good laugh at if we were standing around a fire drinking.......the internet is a funny place.

As for WHERE/HOW they got their DUI's? No idea. He was complaining about how many of his friends can't take their sleds to Canada because of their DUI's and how some of them spend too much time drinking and not enough time on the trails.

Regardless, I think it would be hard to make the argument that they drank enough to get one or more DUI's 8 1/2 months out of the year and then suddenly went dry at the first snow flake.

Take snowmobiles out of the picture for a moment. I own several motorcycles, but only one Harley Davidson. I wear full gear when I ride, even when I ride my HD. I've got stock pipes on ALL my street bikes.

No matter, when people who aren't involved with motorcycles see my on my Harley? I'm the same asshole as the jerk-off who rode thru their town 20 minutes ago with a novelty helmet and straight pipes. Never mind that I upshifted and lugged thru town so as not to disturb their peaceful Sunday, or that I turned my radio down or that I stopped so their kids could cross the street and get their football.

The damage is done by the jerk-offs int he minority who Think it's cool to be assholes.

Like I said, Streotypes don't come from no where. Even if they do suck.
Personally "all this" is a whole lot less than it appears. At least as far as I'm concerned.
AC posted something I thought was fucked up , I said exactly that.
He says he's joking, I call him a Troll.
No, wait , now he's only half joking.
Hmmm, ask a few questions to see where the hell he's coming from.
Now all of a sudden I'm assuming this that and the other thing and all pissed off. All this even though my sentences ended in question marks, not periods as "statements" would. Wow, like you say, the internets a funny place.
Well since we're on a public forum discussing stereotyping, let's discuss it.(some more)

You sound like you've felt the negative effects and yet when I ask how those guys got their DUI's , you didn't ask, or even care.
There's enough people who would like to figuratively cut the throats of the off road recreational community as a whole. (including snowmobiling)
We don't need to do it to ourselves.
I see that happening here.

Just to be clear, this is just my opinion.
__________________

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America

natedog39 screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 03:53 PM
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
There's enough people who would like to figuratively cut the throats of the off road recreational community as a whole. (including snowmobiling)
We don't need to do it to ourselves.
I see that happening here.
Yup...pretty much what everyone on this thread has been posting.

avc8130 screwed with this post 12-05-2013 at 05:23 PM Reason: Fix the "quote"
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #25
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,737
Gosh Dammit is the lake frozen yet? I want to ride.
__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait
 
UngaWunga's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: NH
Oddometer: 7,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Just curious,did your cousin's friends get their DUI's in cars or on sleds?
This painting with a single brush you speak of is what looks to be happening here .
Personally I think that's fucked up.
Now meatstick has his panties wadded up so tight it's cut off the circulation to his brain .
Or so it seems from that last book of gibberish .
Hey Nate...


Around here, I see a lot of beer cans and empty bottles of booze along the snowmobile trails if I'm out hiking or xc skiing in the winter. I don't see them along trails where snowmobiles aren't allowed. Does that mean they're all drunk? No. Probably a small minority. But like dirt bikes that ride off the trails, rip up the trails, etc... the minority casts a bad light on the rest.
__________________
"There isn't any secret," he said. "It's all very obvious."
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Gosh Dammit is the lake frozen yet? I want to ride.
You have a snowmobile too?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
You have a snowmobile too?

ac
No but I have Ice tires for my 450
__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #29
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Hey Nate...


Around here, I see a lot of beer cans and empty bottles of booze along the snowmobile trails if I'm out hiking or xc skiing in the winter. I don't see them along trails where snowmobiles aren't allowed. Does that mean they're all drunk? No. Probably a small minority. But like dirt bikes that ride off the trails, rip up the trails, etc... the minority casts a bad light on the rest.
Believe it or not I realize that some assholes do drink and ride.

ONCE AGAIN, the point I was making or trying to make is just because "some" do doesn't mean "all" do.

Thanks for you're insight.
__________________

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #30
emti
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: northern n.y.
Oddometer: 233
Operose, Thanks for the invite that would be fun I know the roads in the Long Pond Easement area pretty well and may have some access to them from the north, , Ill give you a call. Thanks emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014