User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
chime in on TKC 80s

I know they don't last as long; what I want to hear is: do you truely experience improved dirt./ mud handling with the big GS, as compared to the tourance, etc.

Charles
charles960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles960
I know they don't last as long; what I want to hear is: do you truely experience improved dirt./ mud handling with the big GS, as compared to the tourance, etc.

Charles
There is absolutely no comparison between any DS tire and the TKCs for off road traction with decent road manners.
In my experience with DS riding, a knobby tire like the TKC makes a huge difference in softer soil and no so much of a difference on rocky trails.

All tires suck in the mud particularly when it is sticky or clay.
The TKCs will hold a little longer before letting go in mud.

It's not all about going....TKCs also improve braking off road and also allow you to maintain traction on off-camber trails.

Just my $.02.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
MP40MAN
Last Ride?

Oddometer: 205
TKCs on DL1000

Just put some on my DL1000. I have been on tar and dirt roads. MUCH better on the dirt roads! Have not done the mud yet but it is raining today so I may get the chance very soon. They are also much better on tar than I thought they would be, not much vibration and in a turn they seem to drop in much better.

Thumbs up at this point.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
billy bee
AAdventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
I get 2k to 3k out of a set before they are badly feathered (but not worn out).

Agree with what has been said thus far, adding that they are really very good on pavement. It is shocking how well they hold. I have had them break away on me. The rear stepped out in a throttle-on left hander. Breakaway was smooth and recovery, easy. A less forgiving tire might have given me a high-side ride. These let go and came back very gingerly.

Lastly, it has been noted that braking is greatly improved in the dirt. Agreed. However, it suffers on the pavement. I find the ABS threshold much earlier.

BillB
working a little,
playing a little,
and surrounded by friends.

--Ishi: In Two Worlds

billy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
RedFlash
Go Cubs!

Oddometer: 2,440
Oh, Goody!

A TKC80 tire thread!

(When's that dang 150/70 x 18 arrivin' ?)
RedFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
Tkc 80

I got 7500 out of my first set and my second set has lasted 8000. I am running full Adv luggage loaded with my laptop and rain gear and other misc items. I run 75 to 85 mph on the highway commuting to work each day rain or shine. These are very good tires and I already have another set here waiting to be put on.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
John in Seattle
KLRista

Oddometer: 111
The TKC80s are my tire of choice for my KLR650. They are very good both on and off road. They are almost as good offroad as the Dunlop D606 but much superior to the D606 on road. They are almost a good on road as the (99% street) Conti Enduro Pros (now renamed the Continental Escape).

I get about 4500 miles out of a rear TKC80 on the KLR and about twice that on the front. I'm on my third set and won't run anything else now. About $160 a set from swmototire, not cheap but I think you get what you pay for in this case.
XR250L
DRZ400E (w/ a plate)
and a garage full of 60's Hondas
John in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
cowan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
It's kind of a long story, but I have a set of TKC's on wire rims, and Trailwings on cast rims on my 1200GS so I can make a few comparisons since I can switch them out fairly easily, and this is only my humble opinon. No doubt, the TKC's definitely help in off camber situations and muddy conditions as already pointed out. I agree braking is also improved also. On dry surfaces and gravel the differences between the TKC's and the Trailwings with pressures dropped begin to blur. On the asphalt, the TKCs are certainly adequate, they'll get you to where you want to go safely, I can sense however, 'm giving up a bit of performance. If I don't know what i'm getting myself into, then the TKCs go on. If I'm planning on a straight touring trip with some mild off road stuff, then I'll keep the Trailwings on.

Cowan
cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,092
I never really RODE the GS off road until I put the 80's on. WOW!!!!!!! What a surprise. The best investment that you can make if you go off road a lot.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Agreed with all the above... I'm on a 950 Adv... and do a fair dirt/single track, etc... but have to ride the pavement to get there... no complaints.

Supposedly they have the 150/70x18 here in Good Ole' Ontario Canada already!! (so I am told that is!).

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #11
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Love em, big TKC fan, for big twins. Then corner great on pavement and do just fine on dirt. I still run a Scorpian on the rear and TKC on the front on the 950 so the mileage is about the same. I ride the 950 mostly 2up.

On the RallyTwin and any smaller DS we like Dunlop 606's.

On the dirt bikes we like the Dunlop 97...9 something, the newest ones.

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I see your in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin
I got 7500 out of my first set and my second set has lasted 8000. I am running full Adv luggage loaded with my laptop and rain gear and other misc items. I run 75 to 85 mph on the highway commuting to work each day rain or shine. These are very good tires and I already have another set here waiting to be put on.
I live in Marietta. Who does your tires/mechanical work? Have you found a "best price" kinda place?
Charles
404-697-8587
charles960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Odin
Adv rider

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles960
I live in Marietta. Who does your tires/mechanical work? Have you found a "best price" kinda place?
Charles
404-697-8587
My 600 mile service I had done at Blue Moon (did a great valve and throttle synch but stripped the threads on 3 bolts holding my bash plate in, I think they used an air wrench to put them in. BMW of Atlanta fixed for me for free. I then had my 6K service and new tires put on at 7500 miles at BMW Atlanta and that service was a couple of hundered for the 6k plus tires and mounting which was 30 a tire to mount tires I bought from them. I remember Honda Dealers not charging to put tires on if you bought from them but I guess times are a changing.

I plan to do my own 12 k once I find someone here in Atlanta who will help me through it the first time. I also want to learn to mount my own tires. But if you want to pay to have it done BMW of Atlanta does really good work and has gone the extra mile for me a couple of times.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Techfiend
High Priest of Duh

Oddometer: 1,192
I liked the TKCs on my adventure. It is looking like I should get about 6000 - 6500 miles off the back one.

They are great in dirt and fine onroad, but I do find the knobs on the endges tend to squirm in hard corners with my tremendous weight on the bike. :)

I put on my wizard robe and hat!

Clothes make the man -- naked people have little to no effect on society...
-- Mark Twain
Techfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
BigDave
Adventure Drummer

Oddometer: 3,968
not only do they kick ass as there is no contest between TKC's and street tires, but they look friggen butch as hell.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote