ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 124
So here is what a Motoventure skidplate looks like (this one is the SE version).

Motoventure skidplate photo DSC_0043_zps7db7c92b.jpg

It's got mounts in the middle of the plate as well as the ends. They're made in Kelowna, BC. I'm picking mine up from Mike (Lakemonster) this weekend. He also makes a nice luggage rack that I've been eyeing up.
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #32
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelds View Post
SE swingarm chainguide.
So is this a direct bolt on, or do you have to drill and/or weld a console to the ADV swingarm for it to fit?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #33
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
I've been riding my new-to-me 2010 990 Adv for around 4 months now and, other than adding a pair of heated grips, have been running it as I bought it. I figure it's time to add some protection before I break the stock skidplate and cause some expensive damage.
I'd also like to have a plan for the rest of the changes, and I know others out there have already figured out what works well offroad.
Please chime in if you have any suggestions for setting a 990 up right for reasonably hard offroad riding.

Diet
Remove one front caliper/rotor (possibly replace stock cylinder with SE version)
2-1 exhaust (cj + fmf)
Lithium ion battery (not sold on this item at the moment)
Canisterectomy (tunecu + cover plates etc.)
Lose the crash bars - plus rburkat noticed that his had started to kink the frame eventually (find carbon guards if vanity demands)

Armour/Protection
Skidplate (Motoventure - checking to see if they provide a rubber spacer)
Rear brake master cylinder guard (Blackdog)
Handguards (still like Barkbusters)
Side stand relocation + switch bypass

Steering
Steering damper- (mostly sold on Rallemoto RM1, have some questions into them)

Suspension
Go see Konflict or Riders Edge.

Lighting
Look at the Brittania Composites fairing with the projector HID's when it comes out.

Gear Ratio
Go from the 990R stock 16/42 to 16/45 when replacing chain and sprockets in the spring. Buy a 17 for highway trips. Look at dirttricks.

Range
ADVRALLYTANK - Plastic aux. tank

Misc
Better mirrors, doubletake or similar.
SE swingarm chainguide.
More aux lighting, depending on base set-up.
Air bleeders for forks (have shock sox).
Better footpegs.
Cooling fan sensor + 2nd stock fan (summer upgrade)

Improve if Broken
Rims
Handlebars (or if starting to get sore wrists - my heated grip is jb'd to it, so not happening right away!!)
High fender......ya, it'll have to go eventually, or risk being torn off. Keeping the nice white one for a while, though.

Starting with skidplate, then steering damper, side stand relocator, suspension and will go from there.

Hi I got this bike (950 + 990 x 2) since early 2005. I have tried many different solutions.

In off road what makes the major difference between a standard 990 and a modified 990 are suspension, rims and final gearing. If you are currently riding an R model you are a good step ahead! In my opinion front springs on the S/R models are to soft whereas the rear is too hard. If you correct that, unless you are a professional fast pilot, you are good on suspensions.
Usining 21 x 1.85 and 18 x 2.50 will change day to night the handling of your bikes. Not only because these rims are lighter and stroger (Excel but not only) but also because off road tyres will fit much better working properly.
Finally I have one tooth less inthe front sprocket and 3 more in the rear. A friend of mine has 6 more in the rear...and a carb model...a pleasure to ride!

All the rest are optional.

I also use a scott's damper with its triple clamp which is also good and helps on high speed when using narrow front off road tyres as well as it helps on grounds packed with unstable rocks. I am also using further 20 mm risers.

To save weight I removed the central stand, mirrows, passenger foot pegs and I am running the 2 in 1 Akrapovich. Those mods I would say do helps a bit.

You rightly suggested single disk and caliper and lithium battery which will save over 6kg in the front. To be even lighter you could replace the sump guard with a carbon one that is nicely done by www.myktm.it for 250 euro.
Other more complex mods are to move the oil tank and the battery under the seat. I also believe that the CPR airfilter is 1,6 kg lighter.

As per protection I use a Touratech sumpguard that, as all these sumpguards, are generally as good as heavy. I also covered my bike with the poweparts transparent stickers and frame protectors. I also use the powerpart radiator cover and Touratech mastercylinder guard.
I have been using crash bars for long time including off road including trips to Africa.
There is nothing you can do to avoid scratches off road. Crash bars don't help at all. They only increase weight and bike dimensions. I am not aware of anyone who has cracked a single tank...I might be wrong.
Different is for road use. If the bike drops on the tarmac then the bars help.

I also use to fit a second fan on my 950 and a new one for my 990 is in the post as we speak. Next step for me will be to add an oil radiator. Even if I am not sure about the evidence, it appears to help on inproving engine life when put under stress.

I also have to small wide angle Xvision lights that are really helpfull only if travelling/off roading during the night.

As per overall weight reduction is a good idea. However you will appreaciate it only if you ride unloaded. If you plan to travel with bags and stuff then I wouldn't go mad to try to loose 5 kgs while you carring a camp chai

Ciao

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

And here is the Motoventure plate for the Adv.

photo DSC_0096_zpsc714e131.jpg
Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
And here is the Motoventure plate for the Adv.

photo DSC_0096_zpsc714e131.jpg
Nice looking skid plate. Those 2 pillars in the middle of the skid plate, what do they mount to on the bike? Is there a mount point for those under the bike? Or are these for some other piece that is not shown?
I can't picture what's under there.

edit: this is the only photo i have that shows what is under there but i dont see anything just forward of the drain hole.

rburkat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
Nice looking skid plate. Those 2 pillars in the middle of the skid plate, what do they mount to on the bike? Is there a mount point for those under the bike? Or are these for some other piece that is not shown?
I can't picture what's under there.
I have my Touratech plate off right now. I saw that case hole in the rebuild thread.

Must say, I'm not sure about those two pillars bolting to the case like this. What was originally designed to bolt on there? OEM engine stand?

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Ahh I see the mount holes now on your pics. ( good pice ) Looks like a solid place to mount but as you asked, what was this mount point originally for?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

Quote:
Ahh I see the mount holes now on your pics. ( good pice ) Looks like a solid place to mount but as you asked, what was this mount point originally for?
I think that I remember seeing it mentioned as a mounting point for a factory engine stand.
It seems very solid and I think I prefer distributing the load of an impact to as many points as possible. The rubber block used in other designs is compressible, so in that case, until the plate deforms enough, the loads are going to the front and rear mounts anyway.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like a solid place to mount
Solid but a major impact from underneath is going to get directed into the case. The front and rear mounts are to the frame I believe. Perhaps bolting through the entire case as it does it's fine since it's not going to be a twisting force like to a non-relocated side-stand
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Solid but a major impact from underneath is going to get directed into the case. The front and rear mounts are to the frame I believe. Perhaps bolting through the entire case as it does it's fine since it's not going to be a twisting force like to a non-relocated side-stand
Im with you, for those that beat the hell out of there bikes, I would rather replace the plate then a motor. From what it looks like those cases are pretty brittle.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #41
Brendan33c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
hey that motoventure skid plate looks nice. where can I get one from and how much? I'm in New Zealand so will anyone ship them down here?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #42
kelds OP
mostly right-side-up

I guess I'm going to be a guinea pig. I think that a fair number of theses have been sold without incident.

Contact Mike at:
info@mvmotoventure.ca
Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #43
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think that I remember seeing it mentioned as a mounting point for a factory engine stand.
It seems very solid and I think I prefer distributing the load of an impact to as many points as possible. The rubber block used in other designs is compressible, so in that case, until the plate deforms enough, the loads are going to the front and rear mounts anyway.
I agree the more mount/contact points the better. On the black dog plate the large rubber block is actually in contact with the engine at all time. In fact you have to push the plate up a little up to get the bolts started, and then the blots compress it more as the plate secures in place. I tend to lean towards the rubber block as it contacts the engine at a large area, and it will deform a bit to absorb the shock from going to the engine case. It just seems to me like having it totally rigid to the engine is not as good of an idea as having some thing that absorbs some shock over a larger contact area.

It really depends how hard you hit, and what kind of impact, as if you're unlucky no plate is going to survive.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #44
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It really depends how hard you hit, and what kind of impact, as if you're unlucky no plate is going to survive.
Slight tangent, are there any more pics of the holed case with the TT plate still installed and/or the offending rock I'm mentally pivoting the skidplate up (via the picture you posted above) and not seeing how the case got holed. There are a couple of different pics on licascurtu's winter rebuild thread but those aren't clueing me in either. I see mention that the TT plate was "too soft".
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #45
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Slight tangent, are there any more pics of the holed case with the TT plate still installed and/or the offending rock I'm mentally pivoting the skidplate up (via the picture you posted above) and not seeing how the case got holed. There are a couple of different pics on licascurtu's winter rebuild thread but those aren't clueing me in either. I see mention that the TT plate was "too soft".
I have all the pics here http://www.pinkbike.com/u/radek/albu...on-990/?page=2
But in the case of the TT plate, the metal support rails are dangerously close to those kickstand mount bosses. So a hard landing on the bottom of the plate, simply bent up that rail, and the rail pressed against the boss, cracking it.
There is a pic of the TT plate in hand that shows the bent rail, and it's not much of a bend to do the damage.