User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Help me build my dream K75

This is an example of where I'm heading.
Attached Images

Marley71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

This is what I'm starting with.

Gas tank leak needs to be fixed
Rear tire needs to be replaced
Rear shock needs to be replaced

Want to do weekend projects and keep the bike on the road.

Not interested in the cosmetics of the example picture, just in love with the form.

Opinions welcome, help desperately needed. This is my divorce/mid-life crisis project.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Another example.

Thanks @madisonreid for these great finds.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley71 View Post
Gas tank leak needs to be fixed
Rear tire needs to be replaced
Rear shock needs to be replaced

Want to do weekend projects and keep the bike on the road.

Not interested in the cosmetics of the example picture, just in love with the form.

Opinions welcome, help desperately needed. This is my divorce/mid-life crisis project.

Do you have a specific question/s ?

Old 10-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Do you have a specific question/s ?

Right now I need a source for a rear shock, and tire, low priced but safe, and ideas about repairing gas tank vs a replacement. Gas tank revealed pinhole leaks, replacement seems like prudence, where should I look other than usual suspects, eBay, ibmr, this forum classifieds.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Right now I need a source for a rear shock, and tire, low priced but safe, and ideas about repairing gas tank vs a replacement. Gas tank revealed pinhole leaks, replacement seems like prudence, where should I look other than usual suspects, eBay, ibmr, this forum classifieds.

Thanks

Where are you ?

Define "low priced".

Just replace the tank and be done with it.

If you're gonna ditch the S fairing you can use the more common 20 liter tank from a 100 rather than try to hunt down the smaller 75 tank. You'll want a late '85 k100 onward tank or it will not mount to your frame.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Where are you ?

Define "low priced".

Just replace the tank and be done with it.

If you're gonna ditch the S fairing you can use the more common 20 liter tank from a 100 rather than try to hunt down the smaller 75 tank. You'll want a late '85 k100 onward tank or it will not mount to your frame.

Replacing the tank looks like the spot on call. I'm searching for one as we speak. And the larger tank sounds good as well. If I replace the fairing though I'm going to need a headlight and a mounting bracket. So that adds to my list, but I'm all in!

Regarding low priced, I just down want to be paying new retail for the shock absorber. I've seen around $200 but I'm not sure if I can go any lower and be safe.

Where are you?
Austin, Texas. So far Austincitypowersports.com is a shop that I was referred to by Moto Orangutan, a gear and used bike shop in Austin.

Marley71 screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 08:01 AM
Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
As a cheap bastard myself I can understand not wanting to pay retail for suspension/tank but if you have to cheap on tires perhaps motorcycling is not the mid life crisis salvation.
Tires and gas and oil changes are mandatory fees for the sport.
You have a great starting point there and you can sell the S fairings to fund the tank or shock purchase.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Replacing the tank looks like the spot on call. I'm searching for one as we speak. And the larger tank sounds good as well. If I replace the fairing though I'm going to need a headlight and a mounting bracket. So that adds to my list, but I'm all in!

The S fairing looks cool but some riders found the buffeting annoying. Your call as to whether it stays or goes.

Quote:
Regarding low priced, I just down want to be paying new retail for the shock absorber. I've seen around $200 but I'm not sure if I can go any lower and be safe.

The standard shock was a piece of shit, even when new.

damurph hit the nail on the head, tires and suspension aren't something you want to pinch pennies about. They tend to make or break whether a given bike is enjoyable to ride or not.

If this build is about 'the look' then just strip the bike of all the unnecessary stuff, and even some important shit, rattle can it flat black, put your cap on backwards, and call it a day.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The S fairing looks cool but some riders found the buffeting annoying. Your call as to whether it stays or goes.

The standard shock was a piece of shit, even when new.

damurph hit the nail on the head, tires and suspension aren't something you want to pinch pennies about. They tend to make or break whether a given bike is enjoyable to ride or not.

If this build is about 'the look' then just strip the bike of all the unnecessary stuff, and even some important shit, rattle can it flat black, put your cap on backwards, and call it a day.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Su...+shock+bmw+k75

Any opinion on the Progressives going for $220 on Amazon, should I get this, or try and find used or elsewhere for less.

Not just about the look, it needs to be safe transportation first and foremost.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
As a cheap bastard myself I can understand not wanting to pay retail for suspension/tank but if you have to cheap on tires perhaps motorcycling is not the mid life crisis salvation.
Tires and gas and oil changes are mandatory fees for the sport.
You have a great starting point there and you can sell the S fairings to fund the tank or shock purchase.
Absolutely right. I linked to some progressives in the post above, heck, here is the link again.

Do these make sense. Pulling the fairing sounds workable, but I want to get it up and going first and pulling the fairing means I need to find: headlight, bracket, instrument cluster mount, and rewire....all keeping me from up and going status.

Also interested in a quick release fuel filler cap to replace the current busted locking mechanism. Any sources or ideas?

Thanks for dealing with my scatter brained approach to this. Just moved to Texas from Philadelphia, and a lot of pots on the fire.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
I'm in a similar place as you, having just purchased a '90 k75s. I just replaced the clutch and am in the process of doing some general maintenance before I can ride it. I've allowed myself to get side tracked with the fairing removal and replacing the headlight and turn signals. I might should have just got it road worthy before messing with it, but the fairing was cracked and one turn signal busted, so I decided to go for it.

Just need to mount the horns, change the fluids, with any luck.

I'll be following along, and help if I can.
ivantheterrible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I'm in a similar place as you, having just purchased a '90 k75s. I just replaced the clutch and am in the process of doing some general maintenance before I can ride it. I've allowed myself to get side tracked with the fairing removal and replacing the headlight and turn signals. I might should have just got it road worthy before messing with it, but the fairing was cracked and one turn signal busted, so I decided to go for it.

Just need to mount the horns, change the fluids, with any luck.

I'll be following along, and help if I can.
Not that you need my permission, but feel free to add onto this with pics, and your progress. That's what community is about.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
FR700
Heckler™©®

Quote:
Absolutely right. I linked to some progressives in the post above, heck, here is the link again.

Do these make sense. Pulling the fairing sounds workable, but I want to get it up and going first and pulling the fairing means I need to find: headlight, bracket, instrument cluster mount, and rewire....all keeping me from up and going status.

Also interested in a quick release fuel filler cap to replace the current busted locking mechanism. Any sources or ideas?

Thanks for dealing with my scatter brained approach to this. Just moved to Texas from Philadelphia, and a lot of pots on the fire.

The Progressive is an OK shock for the money.

A secondhand tank should come with the filler cap.

This started as a full dress LT.

Suzuki 8" headlight with a seat I made.

Or just modify an 8" spotlight to run a 7" H4 insert, like I did with this LT.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Marley71 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
The Progressive is an OK shock for the money.

A secondhand tank should come with the filler cap.

This started as a full dress LT.

Suzuki 8" headlight with a seat I made.

Or just modify an 8" spotlight to run a 7" H4 insert, like I did with this LT.

Diagonally parked is right!

Thanks for the pics, that's some evolution.

All the tanks I've seen on ebay don't have the cap, and I'd rather have a quick release depending on the cost and difficulty of conversion of course.

Emailed a shop, asked them to check the link, called the guy and talked to him yesterday morning. Checked back this morning, he had seen the link, but guess he got busy..didn't call me back this afternoon. Oh well.

I've read the instructions and the shock change looks simple, except for the torque wrench, the tires of course I can't change myself. Got a recommendation from someone for a place that might evaluate the tank, but they're cross town.

Feel I've lost half the week, and all I've done is applied some bondo to stop the leak. Not good progress, and I have to go out of town again in a few weeks. I don't want to come home again to a bike that's just sitting there.

Don't want to piss these guys off with my sense of urgency, but oh well.