Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
ADVill OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
FMF no longer making ANY street bike exhaust?

Heard rumor they are stopping due to Californica CARB laws. True?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Heard rumor they are stopping due to Californica CARB laws. True?
not sure if its true or not, but FMF would not sell me and exhaust due to that law for a 990 adv. they also gave me hell about replacing a exhaust for my 690 that cracked. after I gave them hell they took care of it but mentioned they cant ship any pipes out of cali..
2006 250sx-f
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
670ccc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Unfortunately true and FMF isn't the only company who won't ship certain products to CA.
670ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

Oddometer: 2,863
I live in Chicago, I've had FMF mufflers on back order now for 98 days, shipment is due now for July 10th, couldn't get them from anyone, all the suppliers have been on back order from what I've seen.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
tkrwyo13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I don't know much about the kalifornia thing but I was looking at the exhaust recently and it seems to be in stock from some reputable places

Not sure where you back ordered it from? Maybe try another place?

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...DVENTURE%20LC8
tkrwyo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 530
When a company cannot sell to one of the largest markets in the US everyone will suffer - Some powersports distributors are no longer selling or shipping aftermarket exhaust systems to Ca customers due to a recent change (or enforcement) in/of the law.

Welcome to the new age.

Quoted from DealerNews

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...read-carefully

"DN: Can a dealer in the state sell, display or install an exhaust? Can they sell an exhaust and refer it to another service shop for installation?
JP: California’s anti-tampering law, Vehicle Code Section 27156 (c) states, “No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system.”

An EO exemption from the above anti-tampering law is required before any add-on or modified part can be sold in California. In 2009, the CMDA was able to pass legislation that allowed exempted aftermarket parts to be installed on a new motorcycle at point of sale.

Dealers should not sell uncertified systems or parts and then refer a customer to another shop for installation. It is illegal for any California dealer, shop or person to sell or install non-emission certified parts except for use on closed competition racing bikes. Race motorcycles are ones that are either trailed or trucked into a dealership that are obviously used strictly for real racing (no lights or turn signals, no license plate, orange transportation sticker, etc.) but not even occasional street use. CARB does not regulate pure race bike modifications. However, California law requires racing parts to have adequate disclaimers in each manufacturer or dealer advertisement which gives reasonable notice of any limitation on the sale or use of such parts.

DN: What have been the penalties for noncompliance?
JP: Dealers can be fined $5,000 for selling a tampered-with motorcycle, the same per each illegal carburetor jet installation (multiple fines per occurrence on a single engine or motorcycle), and from $500 to that amount depending on the severity of the violation, intent and a dealer’s willingness to abstain from future air quality violations. CARB takes the position that these penalties (and the violations) have been on the books for over three decades and their mandate is to enforce them, irrespective of whether the violator was aware of the law, or didn’t even mean to violate it.

DN: What is the CMDA advising its dealers to do? Do you think this may spread to other states?
JP: The CMDA has led the struggle to change the laws, rules and regulations so that its members are not unreasonably targeted or discriminated against. Air quality laws are very strict in California, especially when it comes to motor vehicles, so our advice to California dealers is to:

Know the laws about the sales and installation of aftermarket parts, especially those components that affect stock emission equipment. If it seems illegal, it probably is. Shops that continue the sales and installation of illegal parts will likely be discovered by CARB investigators and their illegal activities will be abated.
Comply with No. 1., above."

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
tkrwyo13
Adventurer

sorry to hear it looks like the aftermarket exhaust being outlawed is quite over the top. But still does any one know about FMF changing the manufacturing or dropping certain parts?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrwyo13 View Post
sorry to hear it looks like the aftermarket exhaust being outlawed is quite over the top. But still does any one know about FMF changing the manufacturing or dropping certain parts?

Aftermarket stuff is not outlawed, the systems need to be certified...at a substantial cost to the manufacturer...which is why some manufacturers won't do it, which is why they cannot legally be sold in CA.

I have aftermarket stuff on my truck, and they all came with either a sticker or a plaque stating that they meet CA emissions (intake and exhaust), and they both have passed emissions testing multiple times. The truck almost failed once because the tester could not find the sticker.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I have a recent email from Brodie at FMF stating the 990 exh I ordered for a friend will be made, but he isn't sure when. He did state, however, any street legal exhaust kits to be manufactured are on the back burner for more hi volume (profitable) exhausts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrwyo13 View Post
I don't know much about the kalifornia thing but I was looking at the exhaust recently and it seems to be in stock from some reputable places

Not sure where you back ordered it from? Maybe try another place?

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...DVENTURE%20LC8

On back order just like all the other suppliers.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
NoFive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
FWIW, I ordered a pair of Q4 mufflers for my 990 a few weeks ago, from slavensracing.com. The next day, they called and said that model was no longer available and removed them from their store after cancelling my order.
NoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
tkrwyo13
Adventurer

So I guess the better question is has anyone outside of Kalifornia been able to purchase an FMF Q4 exhaust recently? Not on backorder?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Not me, I'm in AZ, and it's on BO
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Moose Dog
Trouble maker

Up date

From Indy Super Bike Store: FMF has pushed the back ordered 990 Q-4 from July 10th to August 8th.

I ordered it in April.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Why not a different Type nothing against FMF but they aren't the only brand that make exhaust
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote