ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
kag OP
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,389
KTM 1190 Adventure Brake System

I am looking to replace my rotors and do other changes on my 1190. But as I begin the hunt for rotors I am wondering and thought someone might know. Does the 1190 Adventure share the same front 320mm system as the RC8 and 1290 Duke? It seems they use a 320mm front rotor. The rears are different than the 267mm rear on the 1190 Adventure but if the front is the same then it opens up many more options. Hunting a new rear rotor also.

Haven't seen brake system upgrades posted anywhere yet but as I will be putting new pads on (Thinking of going with Carbon based pads) very soon I thought what the hell and upgrade the rotors, upgrade the lines, and flush the brake fluids. Looking for these brake system upgrades but its been kind of spotty. The carbon based pads I think may reduce transferred heat better as I drag rear brake frequently on trails and would lessen the cooked looking fluid. I don't care about getting less life out of pads as they are one of things I usually factor into changing before their life span is up anyway.

Anyway I figured someone would know or know of......

The reason is Because.....
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 12-22-2014 at 05:29 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
geez996
Adventurer
 
geez996's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Greece
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I am looking to replace my rotors and do other changes on my 1190. But as I begin the hunt for rotors I am wondering and thought someone might know. Does the 1190 Adventure share the same front 320mm system as the RC8 and 1290 Duke? It seems they use a 320mm front rotor. The rears are different than the 267mm rear on the 1190 Adventure but if the front is the same then it opens up many more options. Hunting a new rear rotor also.

Haven't seen brake system upgrades posted anywhere yet but as I will be putting new pads on (Thinking of going with Carbon based pads) very soon I thought what the hell and upgrade the rotors, upgrade the lines, and flush the brake fluids. Looking for these brake system upgrades but its been kind of spotty. The carbon based pads I think may reduce transferred heat better as I drag rear brake frequently on trails and would lessen the cooked looking fluid. I don't care about getting less life out of pads as they are one of things I usually factor into changing before their life span is up anyway.

Anyway I figured someone would know or know of......

The reason is Because.....

Hey Kag
Just a thought,

A mate of mine has replaced the (tiny) rear brake reservoir with a bigger one.
Hold more brake fluid and allows it to cool down when dragging the brake on the trails.
__________________
Ride Hard....
geez996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: London, England
Oddometer: 177
I've seen both Braking and Galfer wavy rotors for the Adventure, but I didn't check if the part #s were the same as for the RC8. My experience with the Braking version would suggest that they have a higher friction coefficient then the OEM on the 950 at least, don't see why it would be different on the 1190 - the OEM don't seem particularly aggressive.

I don't know if you can get calipers, but both Braking and Galfer have pads to match their rotors..
__________________
-----------------------------------------
950 A (04)
1190 R (13)
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Schussboelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 476
I compared the parts here and these are the part numbers:
6130906000033: 1290 SuperDuke, 320 x 5
61009060000: RC8, 320 x 5
6900906000030: RC8R, 320 x 5
6030906000030: 1190 Adventure, 320 x 4,5

So unfortunately they look to be a mismatch, there's even a difference in part numbers between the RC8 and the RC8R although the disks appear to be the same size.
It looks like the 1190 Adventures disks are half a milimeter thinner.
__________________
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 990 SMT
2000 Suzuki SV650
2 x 1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
alongat
Beastly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 1,007
It's not just thickness that's different - the diameter of the bolt pattern is vastly different on the RC8/RC8R/950SM/990SMR/990SMT/1290 Superduke R (smaller bolt pattern diameter on cast/forged wheels) versus the 1190 adventure (which has a larger bolt pattern diameter on spoked wheel hubs).




Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
I compared the parts here and these are the part numbers:
6130906000033: 1290 SuperDuke, 320 x 5
61009060000: RC8, 320 x 5
6900906000030: RC8R, 320 x 5
6030906000030: 1190 Adventure, 320 x 4,5

So unfortunately they look to be a mismatch, there's even a difference in part numbers between the RC8 and the RC8R although the disks appear to be the same size.
It looks like the 1190 Adventures disks are half a milimeter thinner.
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV, KTM 530 EXC
Gone: Ducati 999R, KTM 530EXC, KTM 990ADV-R, KTM 950ADV, KTM 690, KTM 640ADV, kTM RC8R, Ducati 996S, Yamaha R1
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
kag OP
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
It's not just thickness that's different - the diameter of the bolt pattern is vastly different on the RC8/RC8R/950SM/990SMR/990SMT/1290 Superduke R (smaller bolt pattern diameter on cast/forged wheels) versus the 1190 adventure (which has a larger bolt pattern diameter on spoked wheel hubs).

Which is what I suspected the main issue would be for fitment. I need to get my hands on a couple to actually see. Then there is the abs part of it also but if a matched disk is found then I am pretty sure there would be little issue with the bolt on abs part.


Great starting point Schussboelie on part numbers.

A larger rear reservoir is certainly a viable option as an upgrade component. I looked at the Galfer rotors but really want to source other options. I found some carbon based pads I plan to try out....decent price on them so if they don't really meet my needs its not a huge loss. I do not plan to change calipers because for me the OEM ones are pretty good.
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doug Matson's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca.
Oddometer: 1,714
When I change all my rotors and pads on my 950 I got them from CycleBrakes in Ventura Ca. they had the best prices and selection. Also Slavens Racing has a piece that attaches to the caliper that is a cooler, you might want to check that out.
__________________
04' 950 Adventure
03' 450 EXC
05' K1200 LT
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
hartsideman
Old Fart
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Close To The Lake District UK
Oddometer: 41
i seem to remember reading something about not fitting wavy rotors as they dont work with the MSC leaning ABS, (and im sure it was on a factory KTM site somewhere) and also i would of thought that all the calculations done with the leaning abs system would lead to you having to use the same friction material in the pads ? (which i see are DAMN expensive)

I could of course be talking out of my rear end , and indeed your bike may or may not have the MSC leaning abs ,

in which case just ignore my rantings
__________________
Live to ride , Ride to Live
hartsideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
kag OP
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsideman View Post
i seem to remember reading something about not fitting wavy rotors as they dont work with the MSC leaning ABS, (and im sure it was on a factory KTM site somewhere) and also i would of thought that all the calculations done with the leaning abs system would lead to you having to use the same friction material in the pads ? (which i see are DAMN expensive)

I could of course be talking out of my rear end , and indeed your bike may or may not have the MSC leaning abs ,

in which case just ignore my rantings
Interesting......I will have to think on that one .....but push forward anyway
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014