ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (>1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
silverdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Question Extra lights 1190?

What does everyone like for extra lights on there 1190?
How did you mount them? Switch?

Thanks
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
IgorBorisenko
adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post

Thanks
If $ is not an issue I'd go with the stock ones. They are LED with lens and have a very good pattern.
I went with aftermarket LEDs mounted on the crash bars + a smart dimmer (http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/im...manual-web.pdf)

IgorBorisenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:

Thanks
I chose to go with a rigid industries 6" LED strip solution that combines both driving elements in the middle and spot lighting on the sides so I can get dual lighting from it; down the road many meters ahead of the stock rubbish and tons of lighting to the sides so I can see the wildlife and other potential hazards to my sides. I mounted it onto my Givi crash bars using crash bar mounting rings and kept it up high, way out of the way of any suspension bottoming or potential damage from side crashes / falls.

Here are some pics:

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
ZeZeZoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I am very much interested in that 6" Rigid LED bar.
My 1190 Adventure having no crash bars the mounting solution (I know of) that looks killer is the one proposed by Black Dog Cycle Works, with a pair of anodized billets attached to the fork. However, going through BDCW's site it looks like they do not sell the billets separately; instead, they sell a kit which includes the billets and a different 6" Rigid LED bar (not the driving/spot combo).
Assuming I could sort that out (either by purchasing the combo bar from RI and only the billets from BDCW or purchasing the full kit from BDCW but with the combo LED bar) I'd like to know how do you have the LED bar working, alongat.
I mean, is it always on or is it on only when the low beam is on? I'd like to have it on only when the low beam ignites. Is this possible and, if so, could you please explain how is it matched (using a relay or...). I am sort of electrically handicaped so please excuse my ignorance.
ZeZeZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
alongat
Studly Adventurer

I've got mine wired to the waterproof switch that the light bar came with along with my own home made harness that's plug and play and a relay to power the lights. I'm also using the ignition switched circuit behind my headlight so they only work when the ignition is on. Once you sort out what you're going to do to mount the lighting, I can help you with the wiring, etc if you send me a PM. Incidentally, I got the rigid light on Amazon.ca for an absolute bargain - I paid $187 Canadian (about $165 usd) compared to $329 on the rigid website. Speak with Kurt at black dog, he's a super guy and can probably source the exact model light you want or perhaps you can convince him to sell you just his brackets which are very nicely designed. Other than that, check out Slavens racing - they sell a high mounted fender kit for our bikes and when I looked at the bracket, I'm sure it can adapted to mount lighting like this to. Best thing is I think their high mount fender kit can be bought for almost peanuts by itself.

In fact, here's a link (view the pictures to see their undermount):

http://slavensracing.com/shop/high-m...-for-ktm-1190/

If I didn't use my givi bars, I'd get one of those slavens mounts and figure out how to mount the rigid light to it - seems like a simple, solid solution option...

alongat screwed with this post 09-23-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
ZeZeZoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you very much, alongat.
For the information on the wiring, the Amazon price of the LED bar, the link to the Slavens mount and the availability to further explain your wiring solution.
I need to go step by step; so, first off, I need to get the LED bar.
The mounting solution I'd prefer are BDCW's brackets and I wouldn't mind to pay some extra $$$ as they are really very nicely designed. As to the Slavens mount, no doubt it looks like a good alternative, much cheaper, but I suspect it is not that rigid. I supose it purposedly has some slack, needed for the fender. Maybe it could be tweaked for increased rigidity, required by a LED bar.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Just be aware that current Ridgid lights do not work with dimmers. For me thats a deal breaker as it sure is nice to be able to use them as daytime running lights etc.

The BCDW mount is definitely nice, and i would be interested in what that part costs by itself.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
alongat
Studly Adventurer

My pleasure. Figure out your light and mounting. If you get the rigid industries light, the switch included is very good and water resistant. You'll also need a very simple Bosch / hella / etc SPDT relay that is widely available from just about any automotive parts store or any source who sells fog lights, etc. If you can get the relay harness that plugs in, that would make things easier for you. Worst case, I'm happy to build you a harness and send it to you once you get the light and mounting parts. As for that Slavens mount, I doubt that it has any flexibility built into it - I've looked at the area of the lower triple clamp where it bolts to and I'm quite certain that it would be relatively sturdy - the trick is to then take that mount and extend it to the sides of the light itself. The black dog solution is definitely your best bet if you can get it.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
Just be aware that current Ridgid lights do not work with dimmers. For me thats a deal breaker as it sure is nice to be able to use them as daytime running lights etc.

The BCDW mount is definitely nice, and i would be interested in what that part costs by itself.
I've got h11 LED lights that I replaced my pathetic ktm incandescent bulbs with so I generally only use my rigid light at night for rural riding but ocassionally, I e also used it during the day during rain. I haven't found the need to dim it yet.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
silverdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I've got h11 LED lights that I replaced my pathetic ktm incandescent bulbs with so I generally only use my rigid light at night for rural riding but ocassionally, I e also used it during the day during rain. I haven't found the need to dim it yet.
What brand h11 did you go with, and how do you like them?
Thanks
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
ZeZeZoom
Gnarly Adventurer

I revisited the photos of the Slavens' front fender and it looks like it is bolted where the horn used to be. I suppose the pending wires one can see are those that would lead to the horn.
Or am I wrong?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What brand h11 did you go with, and how do you like them?
Thanks
I ended up sourcing Cree-based lights that an old friend of mine imports for cars. He's been selling these particular units for over a year to many customers so my confidence in their longevity is high. I also got two 50w 6ohm resistors from him and they have male/female harnesses that wire them in parallel as required to avoid fault warnings. I installed them yesterday so I haven't been able to compare them to the old pieces of shit that the bike came with but I am off for a ride tonight and will be riding with two friends on identical ktm 1190s except that they haven't updated their lighting yet. I can let you know how these are at night but so far, even in daylight they're highly visible. Incidentally, the entire ordeal was truly a plug and play - no cutting of a single wire, no removal of any dust caps, etc. the only thing that I had to do was drill two small holes under the headlight area to mount the resistors (and their respective heat sinks). There is zero clearance issue inside the headlight bucket and all seals are intact; the led bulb assemblies twisted right into place just like the standard bulbs do.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeZeZoom View Post
I revisited the photos of the Slavens' front fender and it looks like it is bolted where the horn used to be. I suppose the pending wires one can see are those that would lead to the horn.
Or am I wrong?
I believe I saw somewhere in the description that this kit comes with a horn relocation bracket - not sure where it moves it to but I can assure you that this slavens bracket gets bolted right onto the area currently occupied by the horn (somewhat useless horn I might add...).
Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
ZeZeZoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I believe I saw somewhere in the description that this kit comes with a horn relocation bracket - not sure where it moves it to but I can assure you that this slavens bracket gets bolted right onto the area currently occupied by the horn (somewhat useless horn I might add...).
Don't be shy, alongat. The OEM horn is totally useless.
I wrote about mine in the 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure thread and I am hereby updating that writing by informing I currently have NO horn, because it simply doesn't emit a sound subsequently to my washing of the bike last weekend.
I will have a proper horn installed by my dealer sooner than later. When I write a proper horn I mean one which sound is adequate to the bike (thus bigger in diameter and much more audible), certainly placed somewhere else and fitted in such a way it won't be prone to muting periods.

Going back on topic: my first 'efforts' at finding the Rigid Industries SR 6" Combo LED light bar at Amazon UK were useless. So far, I found plenty of cheap 'made in China' items, plenty of Cree items, too, none of which a combo (flood/spot) set, though.

On the matter of the OEM H11 light bulbs, I replaced the low beam bulb in my bike (just the low beam as I believe the OEM high beam is good enough) with one H11 Osram Night Breaker bulb and, so far, so good. The bike now has proper (and bright) low beam light.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
alongat
Studly Adventurer

I am desperately looking for a better horn solution - ideally the Steblo nautilus that I've used on previous bikes but I can't seem to find a suitable location for it on this bike and I don't want to hang it off the crash bars. As for the light bar, I chose to avoid the cheapie ebay units when I was shopping for one but there seem to be better quality choices nowadays - still, I don't think you can beat the quality of the rigid industries or Baja designs units.