ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #136
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootLB View Post
All sounds good except for the air filter. Why would a manufacturer design a replacement item w/o easy access? If you're gonna ride this bike in the dirt you better be keeping up with your AF. Who wants to remove the fuel tank every time? MAJOR minus (for me) here.
I don't think it would be that hard. I'm planning on installing a K&N filter in and I will shoot a video. If you can repair a flat or adjust your chain you will be fine.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #137
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,335
Want to add two teeth in the rear

Had anyone done this with the stock chain? Will I have the length I need ? I know I can flip the blocks as well.

Thanx
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #138
FootLB
Banned

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
I don't think it would be that hard. I'm planning on installing a K&N filter in and I will shoot a video. If you can repair a flat or adjust your chain you will be fine.
Yeah...would be interested in seeing a vid. Thanks.

It's not that I don't know how or couldn't it's just that I am old and lazy and don't want to do more than I have to for what I consider routine maintenance.
FootLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #139
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford View Post
A bit of history..... I've owned and enjoyed GSA's in the past and have really enjoyed riding them (left when we started having problems). Went back to cruisers... having trouble enjoying a ride as much as I did. Then tried a Super T..... sorry, not really impressed! Went back to cruisers, and well here I go again. Is the maint on the new 1190 going to be as extensive as it was on the 950's (sorry, only reference I have) ie: pulling fuel cells off just to change the oil??? Not really a mech.. can change oil, pull a tire, replace a battery and so on. Is the new KTM going to be more than I can handle in the issue of keeping the bike up? Granted, the bike is new here in the states and probably not many opinions yet established. Just thought I'd ask. Really envy you folks riding the 1190 Adv and would love to get back on something that is comfortable and handles well.

Thanks for your time, and have a grand day.

Rexford
Did first oil change at 150 miles with recommended Motorex and filter from Cycle Gear (total $81.00). Filter quite dirty (no pic) and lots of stuff in the two screens. You only have to remove the skid-plate (I'll keep it on till I can get a proper replacement). Complete job easily done in 10 minutes or less. Filter is behind the round cover (between the two screens) in first picture. It's a little bit of a problem that you have to drain the rear screen onto a hot pipe. You have to add the second filling (the portion needed beyond 3L after first running the motor to distribute the oil) very slowly. Otherwise it will overflow.

Has 15000K (9300 miles) service interval. I probably won't run mine that long.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 12:53 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #140
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
Had anyone done this with the stock chain? Will I have the length I need ? I know I can flip the blocks as well.

Thanx
I'm not sure KTM has a 44 T rear sprocket (SuperSprox probably does), but 16/42 is a final drive of 2.624 versus 2.706 that you get with 17/44. Not sure you can notice that difference. Changing the front is easier than the rear as a bonus.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #141
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Received mine today. Made a little trip with it and it felt good. Even though those tires are brand new. They stick as hell. I feel confident on the bike and that's a very important thing.

My panels (both sides and tank pannel) came damaged from the factory. They will get changed next thursday. Small scratches and cracks in the paint but my dealer had already called KTM before I had seen them. Good dealer service!
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #142
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootLB View Post
Yeah...would be interested in seeing a vid. Thanks.

It's not that I don't know how or couldn't it's just that I am old and lazy and don't want to do more than I have to for what I consider routine maintenance.

There's a video out already showing the install of the Uni-Filter. Not hard, but involves removing about 30-32 screws. I check the one on my GSA every 6K miles so I don't think you'd be inconvenienced more than a couple times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #143
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,335
Never mind

It works just fine. Flip the blocks and tighten the the set bolts just a bit :)
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #144
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
First ride

I picked up my 1190 R today. Put 90 miles on it already. Here are my first impressions.

The bad:

1 - build quality isn't as good as my BMW F800GS. Please don't yell at me or tell me to go F myself :) For example look at the quality of the plastics. Look at the cheaply made storage box on the front right side of the dash. Look at the cheap plastic in the windscreen.

2 - The back of my heels hit the brace for the passenger pegs. No biggie but very annoying when I stand up. I think wider foot pegs will do the trick. If not then I'll just pull of the passenger pegs.

3 - It was a cold day here in Florida, 56 degrees, so I really appreciated the heated seat...funny I didn't order that option?

4 - The quality of the controller is pretty poor. It just feels cheap.

5 - Bulbs in the turn signals, really. Why didn't they use LEDs?

6 - The R model warranty is only 12 months or 12K miles. The standard model is 24 months or 24K miles. Odd.

The Good:

1 - OMG that motor is amazing!!!!! It makes my F800GS feel like a kids scooter! This is why I bought this beautiful bike. I can't wait until after the breakin period so I can really test it out.

2 - Computer is very easy to use.

3 - Love the center stand. So easy to put the bike up on it.

4 - Those stock tires are sweet.

5 - I feel like a real pro riding this bike thanks to all the electronics / abs. After riding today I rode my F800GS for a comparison. Almost crashed when I washed out the back wheel! That won't happen on my new baby.

6 - Really loved the heated seat on a cold day :)

7 - Comfortable seat! Really. Much more than the stock seat on my F800GS.

8 - The bike feels really light and nibble which amazes me.

9 - Windscreen makes a great air bubble for me. So much better than the stock screen on the F800GS. I'm 6'2 and had no buffeting at all.

Bottom line: F800GS for sale! I'm drinking the orange crush now!
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #145
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Got my 1190 yesterday and have put about 60 miles on it. The seat gets warm but not to bad, yesterday and today it has been 80 here in SoCal. My 950 cooked the rear part of my legs on days like this until I changed to Akras even then it put out some heat. I just ordered a Wings shorty and dumped the canister so the tool kit fits in there now. Have been doing heat cycles and loading the motor up to about 6k to seat the rings. Man this motor makes the 950 feel weak. It feels very much the same as the 950 except it turns much sharper and goes up on the center stand easy. The motor is very smooth but the tranny is clunky but i am sure it will smooth out. The fueling is very nice more like carbs then fuel injection, no fuel cut off when slowing so that is nice. There was lots of grease on the chain that dripped all over the hot pipe and smoked like it was on fire so i cleaned all that off, then all good. The little glove box in the dash is really cheep and filling the gas tank looks to be a very slow job because of the moulding of the tank but still have 3/4 of a tank so will have to equate that in a few days. But this is like the 950 in that your face is going to hurt from all the smiling your going to do riding it!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #146
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
rode 250 miles today....temps to the mid 80's ....Don't feel any annoying heat???...feels like a motorcycle....

40mpg....amazing...

16t counter sprocket working out perfectly...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #147
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Hi

I did my second trip to the south coast yesterday, here are the stats just after refuelling and getting home.
I have purchased the ergo heated seat and will take some photos and will do a brief review compared to the stick seat.

Let me tell you first time i have touched the tip of my right boot on the tarmac on a very sharp slow corner, im just stoked..
The tyres are super sticky and will offer great adhesion, not onece did i see the TC light..

I really love the handling and pick up power, best gears 3rd and fourth..

OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #148
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
dumped the canister so the tool kit fits in there now.

The motor is very smooth but the tranny is clunky but i am sure it will smooth out.
Do you have any photos of the canister mod (what tube goes where)

My trans is silky smooth

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #149
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Those with the "heated seat" (which they didn't order). Make sure your seat is in the highest position. The heating seat is a common problem with seats in the lowest position. I test drove a Tiger 800 a few months ago and it did also have the problem. Changed the seat to the highest position and the problem was solved.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #150
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Did first oil change at 150 miles with recommended Motorex and filter from Cycle Gear (total $81.00). Filter quite dirty (no pic) and lots of stuff in the two screens. You only have to remove the skid-plate (I'll keep it on till I can get a proper replacement). Complete job easily done in 10 minutes or less. Filter is behind the round cover (between the two screens) in first picture. It's a little bit of a problem that you have to drain the rear screen onto a hot pipe. You have to add the second filling (the portion needed beyond 3L after first running the motor to distribute the oil) very slowly. Otherwise it will overflow.

Has 15000K (9300 miles) service interval. I probably won't run mine that long.
Do you have the oil filter #
Do you know if KTM has a service/repair manual available?
The 1190R owners manual has a bit of service info in it.Would be nice to have more info.
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote