ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #1516
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Dude, I would ride that SE for a while! That looks set up pretty kick ass!

Sent from my Apple IIe
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1517
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 426
Thank goodness I ride an 1190 Adventure

This evening after work I decided to take a spin down to the post office to pick up the mail. Mostly it was just an excuse to ride the bike since I hadn't had a chance all week. On the way home I decided to hit a short section of the super slab just to get a quick dose of that Sport Mode hit. I pull on to the freeway and quickly come up behind a few other vehicles passing a Semi in the right lane so I get in behind them giving plenty of space and wait for the traffic in front of me to clear. I look in my mirror and I see someone barreling down in behind me but they're a hundred yards back so I assumed they'd slow up a bit. I look ahead at the traffic in front of me for a second and then back in my mirror and this A-hole is now right on my ass yet I still have 3 vehicles in front of me and a large truck in the lane next to me. I stick my left arm out and lift it as if to say WTF? I didn't flip him off. As soon as I get a chance I blew on out of there with the intent of getting off at the next exit but this guy starts chasing me down. He's in a Dodge Neon so it's not like he ever had a chance. Anyway, this goes on for another mile or so and I grow tired of this bone head so I swerve through some traffic, put a huge gap between us, then take the next exit. While waiting my turn at the stop sign in front of me I see this guy pull up behind me again. I turn onto route 66 which parallels the freeway and head back down towards where I live and this guy follows me. I poke along for a while watching to see if he'll turn off. After getting all the way back to the on ramp I had gotten on at several minutes earlier I see he's still behind me so I know he's just going to follow until who knows what happens. I stop at a light and now know what I need to do. I switch over to the off-road modes and head up some fun twisties for another mile now doing close to twice the speed limit. He's still back there but I see his poor little Neon is having trouble hanging through the turns. I slow and take a left onto a gravel road that leads to a major local trail head. The road turns to a decent 4x4 route another mile up and that's where I am headed. The guy follows me up the gravel road getting sprayed with rocks and dust the whole way. I'm just laughing in my helmet at this point as I know the road comes to an abrupt end just around the corner with a sharp right up a nasty rocky section which then continues for several miles. I dab my foot making the 90 degree turn and see him come sliding to a stop behind me where the gravel road ends at a locked forest service gate. I just ride off up the hill knowing he never had a chance. I know this area well as it is literally my back yard. I follow the 4x4 route up and over a ridge and then out to another neighborhood a few miles away. I pop back out onto Rte. 66 again and head home. I swore I saw his now filthy dirty Neon pass me going the other way on 66 just before I made the turn back into my neighborhood. Now that's a trip to the post office I won't soon forget.

The 1190 Adventure ROCKS
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #1518
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
1190R at the Bank

Last week the weather was quite nice, so I decided to take my 1190R to run a few errands. I stopped at the Bank to get some cash at the at the ATM in the drive thru on the back of the bank. Threre are three lanes, the first two lanes are for drive thru teller service. The third lane is for the ATM and/or Teller service. There was a large Econoline van from a local hotel pulled forward to the Teller tube ahead of the ATM machine. The other two lanes were empty. I get my cash. While I'm doing my business, two cars pull up behind me to use the ATM. However the van is still parked there. I see him get some papers out of the tube, sign them, return them to the teller and I wait and I wait. After 8-10 min, the second car behind me backs up and parks in the parking lot to go inside to get help. A minute later the car behind me backs up and pulls down the next lane, and leaves the bank altogether. I start walking my bike back, but soon hit the steep asphalt ramp that declined into the pad the three lanes site on. There is no way I'm going to be able to push my bike backwards to get out of the lane, and it is too narrow to turn my bike around. The van is still wait for his loan to be approved or something. Looking at the time, I realize I'm about to be late for an appointment, so I decide to see what the R can do. I nick it into 1st gear, give it a little gas, and climb the 6" curb between the lanes. It is about 2 feet wide, and with no drama at all, I'm out of there. It was impressive. Totally felt like I was ridding over a common speed bump, not a 6 inch by 2 foot island. What an awesome bike!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #1519
The "OC"
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
This evening after work I decided to take a spin down to the post office to pick up the mail. Mostly it was just an excuse to ride the bike since I hadn't had a chance all week. On the way home I decided to hit a short section of the super slab just to get a quick dose of that Sport Mode hit. I pull on to the freeway and quickly come up behind a few other vehicles passing a Semi in the right lane so I get in behind them giving plenty of space and wait for the traffic in front of me to clear. I look in my mirror and I see someone barreling down in behind me but they're a hundred yards back so I assumed they'd slow up a bit. I look ahead at the traffic in front of me for a second and then back in my mirror and this A-hole is now right on my ass yet I still have 3 vehicles in front of me and a large truck in the lane next to me. I stick my left arm out and lift it as if to say WTF? I didn't flip him off. As soon as I get a chance I blew on out of there with the intent of getting off at the next exit but this guy starts chasing me down. He's in a Dodge Neon so it's not like he ever had a chance. Anyway, this goes on for another mile or so and I grow tired of this bone head so I swerve through some traffic, put a huge gap between us, then take the next exit. While waiting my turn at the stop sign in front of me I see this guy pull up behind me again. I turn onto route 66 which parallels the freeway and head back down towards where I live and this guy follows me. I poke along for a while watching to see if he'll turn off. After getting all the way back to the on ramp I had gotten on at several minutes earlier I see he's still behind me so I know he's just going to follow until who knows what happens. I stop at a light and now know what I need to do. I switch over to the off-road modes and head up some fun twisties for another mile now doing close to twice the speed limit. He's still back there but I see his poor little Neon is having trouble hanging through the turns. I slow and take a left onto a gravel road that leads to a major local trail head. The road turns to a decent 4x4 route another mile up and that's where I am headed. The guy follows me up the gravel road getting sprayed with rocks and dust the whole way. I'm just laughing in my helmet at this point as I know the road comes to an abrupt end just around the corner with a sharp right up a nasty rocky section which then continues for several miles. I dab my foot making the 90 degree turn and see him come sliding to a stop behind me where the gravel road ends at a locked forest service gate. I just ride off up the hill knowing he never had a chance. I know this area well as it is literally my back yard. I follow the 4x4 route up and over a ridge and then out to another neighborhood a few miles away. I pop back out onto Rte. 66 again and head home. I swore I saw his now filthy dirty Neon pass me going the other way on 66 just before I made the turn back into my neighborhood. Now that's a trip to the post office I won't soon forget.

The 1190 Adventure ROCKS
Sounds like a rough ride to the post office , I like. What an idiot in the chev neon!
The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #1520
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrady View Post
Has anyone here done an oil change after installing the ktm skid plate? I was looking for the easiest way to remove it. Unbolt it from the hangers or unbolt the hangers from the frame?
2014R
I unbolted it from the hangers.Loose fit all bolts on the reinstall.
I had so much fun on the original install,there was no way I would undo those hanger mounts from the frame unless I had to.
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #1521
gregdee
Motocampist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
...Looking at the time, I realize I'm about to be late for an appointment, so I decide to see what the R can do. I nick it into 1st gear, give it a little gas, and climb the 6" curb between the lanes. It is about 2 feet wide, and with no drama at all, I'm out of there. It was impressive. Totally felt like I was ridding over a common speed bump, not a 6 inch by 2 foot island. What an awesome bike!
NiceI've done something similar leaving the parking lot at work once on my KLR. I've often eye the curb in front of me thinking this would be a much easier way to get out to the road than backing up the bike. But this might not be the smartest habit to get into at work.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #1522
rigwrecker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
NiceI've done something similar leaving the parking lot at work once on my KLR. I've often eye the curb in front of me thinking this would be a much easier way to get out to the road than backing up the bike. But this might not be the smartest habit to get into at work.

Sweet. I eat that sh*t up! I make no bones about getting where I need to be either.

That was the beginning of my test ride on the KLR before I bought it in '01. After I cleared the parking blocks in the bike shop parking lot I looked in the RHS mirror and saw the sales guy losing his mind. When I brought the bike back he was still in a tizzy, my only word were Relax, its a demo, and essentially a big dirt bike, there is no damage to it and I want to order one, funny enough... he was alright after that.
rigwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #1523
rigwrecker
Adventurer

Quote:

The 1190 Adventure ROCKS

LMFAO... Thats awesome. judging by the way he came up on you at the speed of sound, rode your ass and followed you, the guy in the neon was probably some poster boy for road rage.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #1524
gregdee
Motocampist

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigwrecker View Post
LMFAO... Thats awesome. judging by the way he came up on you at the speed of sound, rode your ass and followed you, the guy in the neon was probably some poster boy for road rage.
This is NM after all. Ya'll have seen Breaking Bad, right? There's some crazy F**** around here, especially out in the mountains where I live. Despite the positive outcome, this incident had me lying awake last night. I was thinking might be a good idea to finally connect my phone to my Sena headset. I coulda called the cops, pulled into the station and had one of them sitting there waiting for me. But then again police here shoot first, kill ya, then try to figure out if they were actually in danger... but that's a whole nuther thread better suited to some other forum.

So back to this bike: let's talk tires. As far as I can tell the only choices are the stock Conti's, TKC80's, or the Karoo 3's I've been running for about 2500 miles now. The rear is getting close to squaring off. Are these three my only choices if I want to stick to the stock tire size? I know I won't get more than 3000 miles out of a rear TKC 80 but I might try that one cuz it cannot be any louder than the Karoo 3. The Karoo 3 has been fine in everything, even deep river bottom pebble sand - though not great - they just handle funny and are super loud. The D606's/MT21's I've run on other bikes aren't this loud.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #1525
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 517
Let me jump into the middle of this to say that I just put a deposit on an R. This is my first post on this forum, and the R is my first bike. If I need a reason to buy this particular bike as a first ride, I am tall enough that it is not easy to find a bike that fits comfortably. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #1526
rigwrecker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMe View Post
Let me jump into the middle of this to say that I just put a deposit on an R. This is my first post on this forum, and the R is my first bike. If I need a reason to buy this particular bike as a first ride, I am tall enough that it is not easy to find a bike that fits comfortably. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Welcome to ADVRider NewToMe, As I am waiting for my R as well, I can only congratulate you on your choice of bike.
It's a lot of bike for your first, but from what I've been told and read, the MTC and ABS are first class. be sure to post pictures!
Good luck!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #1527
rigwrecker
Adventurer

Quote:

So back to this bike: let's talk tires. As far as I can tell the only choices are the stock Conti's, TKC80's, or the Karoo 3's I've been running for about 2500 miles now. The rear is getting close to squaring off. Are these three my only choices if I want to stick to the stock tire size? I know I won't get more than 3000 miles out of a rear TKC 80 but I might try that one cuz it cannot be any louder than the Karoo 3. The Karoo 3 has been fine in everything, even deep river bottom pebble sand - though not great - they just handle funny and are super loud. The D606's/MT21's I've run on other bikes aren't this loud.
I thought I saw somewhere an "Ultimate 1190R tire thread" here. Heidenau has a few options.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #1528
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMe View Post
It's a great first bike with traction control and abs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #1529
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I have both bikes...different animals....one can't replace the other....

The 1190 is a bad ass GS....not a dirt bike....
Picked up my 1190R yesterday and did my first ride today, WOW I love it!

When I unloaded it yesterday evening my wife walked out to the garage to check it out and said "wow, that is beefy! I like it much better than that BMW Adventure you had a few years back"

I would have to agree 100% with Nowwhat, it is a BADA$$ bike but could absolutely never replace the Super Enduro in my book.

Now I guess I need to figure out where to get the $$ for another SE to go with the 1190R!

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #1530
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 464
My Bike came home today after a three month wait.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote