Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #1546
OrangeV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
So I got my 1190 Standard from Mountain Motorsports in Marietta a week ago today. The bike is awesome and the price was good, although the dealership experience was far less than desirable. I wish I'd known about Carolina KTM.

I've noticed a couple of oddities related to the trip computer plus a suspension gripe

A number of people have said the fuel range starts out showing high and then works its way down. What I've noticed is it is still reading in kilometers, not miles. I changed the setting back to km and sure enough the range stayed the same. It doesn't seem to be doing the math to get it right.

The second issue is with the TPMS. I've checked with 2 different gauges and the TPMS seems to show the front tire as about 32 (when it's 35) although gets the rear right. The demo bike at the dealership did the same thing. Are others finding this? I'm not having any handling issues so just think the calibration might be out.

The suspension dives badly on braking. All other times it is great but slow speed or high speed a touch of the brakes and it feels twitchy. Does anybody else notice this or better yet have a suggested fix?

Would love to hear thoughts on the matter.

General observations - MTC and ABS are amazing. As someone coming from an 8yr old V-Strom 1000 this is a shocking improvement in every way. I even rode the new Strom just to compare but it didn't take more than 10 minutes to figure it out.

Anyway, being not particularly used to aggressive riding on dirt with something that weighs more than my previous 690 I've been using Rain mode rather than Off-road mode, and changing the damping to Street instead of the default of Comfort. It gives me full traction control. I also leave ABS in Road mode to keep the linked brakes connected. This had worked very well for me (riding about 30mph in dirt and 50mph on gravel). Being a "ready to race" KTM, even the Road based settings are still pretty aggressive. I can slide the rear a little and get small air on whoops without it interfering. This is a mode I would suggest for anybody not experienced on dirt with such a large and powerful bike.

I'm also very impressed with the OEM Conti tires. I've done 400 miles so far with probably 100 on dirt and it just makes me want to go further and further onto single track. It really feels like a slightly heavy 690 on the dirt and seems to get lighter the faster you go. Same applies for the street. It was very windy last Saturday in Atlanta and at 60mph the bike was being pushed all around. At 80+ it settled down and was better even in 25-30mph winds. Very impressive.

Just my 2c
Hi

can i just suggest to you to have a go with setting the preload to 1 rider and 1 bag, i have this setting on mine, I also ride in street and sport modes, without hardly ever changing, street mode is really good even on long straight roads. Once you get to the tight twisty stuff you need sport and sport preload. I have no dive at all on my bike, keep in mind the brakes only need a gentle squeeze to work effectively.
I think get used to the bike and it characteristics and it will repay you back with much fun and happiness.

One other point for the hard riders in the tight corners you can select 2 riders mode and this will give almost sport bike handling.. i hope this makes sense what ive said. Find the right preload mode that works best for you...
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #1547
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Are you saying to undo the 12 smaller screws? The dealership installed my at no charge so I'm at a disadvantage when the first service comes due.
Yes.6 small bolts on the front of the plate.6 larger bolts on the bottom rear of the plate.I leave a couple of front bolts attached and remove the rest and than remove the last ones.The plate itself is not as heavy as it looks but you need to support it when you remove the final bolts.Easy.
tmyhog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #1548
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVancpF View Post
Hey, I'm new here. I pick up my 2014 Gray model on Wednesday : ) Should be very similar to yours - Gray, black bars, skid plate, heated grips. Excited!
ya great bike and set up

very capable off road.. don't let the 'R' fool u :)
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #1549
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
my god this is tough to set up, here they are i hope.

Cool bike! Who makes that skid/crash bar?

Sent from my Apple IIe
Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #1550
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Hey reenmachine, I'm syre you already know this, but the R ar least has both a high and low seat mounting position. If you have not tried yet, this may help. Sounds like yours may be in the loer of the two.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #1551
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
finally had the chance to take the 1190R for a proper test on the highway. Rode over to Devils Tower yesterday. I found it to be very good on the highway.
Wind protection is about the same as the 990, moving the screen around provided some change but nothing really significant. Heated grips are nice when the sun duck under a cloud (around 50 deg.).
The seat was pretty good, better than I expected. I would consider it slightly better than the one on the 990. Ergonomics are about the same as the 990. It runs smoothly cruising around 80 mph and the extra power is noticeable 80-100 in 6th is pretty quick.
Fuel mileage is what impressed me the most. the trip 1 screen was telling me I was averaging 45.8mpg, I thought that, like the speedo was a bit optimistic, but I filled up at 185 miles and it took 4.1 gal. (45.1mpg) so that gives it an honest 250 mile range.
The guy I was riding with ('14 street glide) wanted to ride it so he rode it from Alladin to Hullet, somewhat twisty highway. I was herding the HD as quickly as I could but he drove away from me. The HD was wallowing through the corners and was really low on power compared to the 1190. His impression was "that's a hell of a bike, other than lack of wind protection I would say it is perfect" . my opinion of the HD was somewhat different so I kept it to myself.
for touring use there are a couple things I preferred about the 990. One being the dual fuel caps. removing the tank bag to fuel is a pain. I also like the little glove compartment or whatever you call it on the 990. the one on the 1190 is just too small to be of any real use. I also liked the under seat space on the 990. The 1190 barely has enough room for the tools I carry.
But, for everything else I prefer the 1190, specially the fuel range! In the twisties the 1190 will drive away from the 990 with the same rider, the extra power is incredible. With TC off the back end slides out a little and the front comes out exiting corners in 2nd gear (stock gearing), something the 990 just can't compare with.
Hopefully spring will arrive and I can test it's capabilities off road. if it works as good as I think it will I will be very happy that I traded the 990 for it. not that I didn't love the 990, but I think this is a step forward.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #1552
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
Hey reenmachine, I'm syre you already know this, but the R ar least has both a high and low seat mounting position. If you have not tried yet, this may help. Sounds like yours may be in the loer of the two.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I have the Standard, not the R, and have tried both seating positions. The stock saddle just doesn't work for me for longer rides. It may have been a little better in the tall position but then I'm pretty close to tiptoes when stopped.

I'm confident that Seat Concepts will do the trick.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #1553
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
Michelin has released a new tire, the Anakee Wild. Saw some pics and they look pretty aggressive. They make the Anakee 3 in our sizes too I believe, both models.
Yes, I saw that over on the tire thread. Looks an awful lot like the T63. Is the Anakee Wild tubeless? I put a T63 on my wife's Tiger 800XC a few thousand miles ago replacing a TKC80. The T63 has slightly smaller knobs but I think I only paid $67 for it and so far it's got over 2000 miles on it and looks fine. Ride is smooth and quiet.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #1554
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
What the heck man, your bike is all dirty. .
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #1555
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Cool bike! Who makes that skid/crash bar?

Sent from my Apple IIe
Rumbux

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #1556
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 76
I like dirty girls

Well yes, it is a bit on the nasty side. I kind of felt self conscious when it was so clean.
By the way, the Crash bars and skid plate are attached by six easily accessible bolts and the plate drops and you can change the oil way easy. The crash bars are made in South Africa by Rumbux. I researched crash bars for 3 months before I found these. IMO These were the best coverage I could find, and they work, I know from experience. They saved me a 60 mile hike.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #1557
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Canister removal

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted canister delete info. I was just able to perform a nice, clean canisterectomy without any drama.
  • Rerouted the vent hose from the edge of the can all the way forward and down to join the other three hoses in front of the crankcase
  • Trimmed the center hose back to just aft of the fuel tank, plugged it, and tied it off to the ECU harness there.
  • Removed the can and filled the space with my stuff!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #1558
tuxic
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Well yes, it is a bit on the nasty side. I kind of felt self conscious when it was so clean.
By the way, the Crash bars and skid plate are attached by six easily accessible bolts and the plate drops and you can change the oil way easy. The crash bars are made in South Africa by Rumbux. I researched crash bars for 3 months before I found these. IMO These were the best coverage I could find, and they work, I know from experience. They saved me a 60 mile hike.
What kind of Auxiliary Lamp Kit is on your bike?
tuxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #1559
ColdC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Removed the fuel tank in order to route the hoses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted canister delete info. I was just able to perform a nice, clean canisterectomy without any drama.
  • Rerouted the vent hose from the edge of the can all the way forward and down to join the other three hoses in front of the crankcase
  • Trimmed the center hose back to just aft of the fuel tank, plugged it, and tied it off to the ECU harness there.
Reenmachine, did you have to remove the fuel tank? I will if I must but if there's a trick, let me (us) know. Cheers.
ColdC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #1560
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdC View Post
Reenmachine, did you have to remove the fuel tank? I will if I must but if there's a trick, let me (us) know. Cheers.
No, I didn't mess with the tank at all. It took some time and patience to get the vent hose routed in a way I was happy with (downhill all the way, not visible until the bottom, not kinked or pinched, not against anything hot) but I'm pleased with how it came out.