Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #1576
Chicoblanco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've seen several discussions in this thread about the beast running hot. I've added heat shields but is there anything else I can do before I take off down Mexico, CA and SA this summer.

The thought occurred to me... could I use the same coolant that I've used in my dirt bikes for years, EngineIce.

You can't add "normal" coolant to it, but is that a big deal when traveling through CA/SA? If I needed to, the system could be flushed at any time and go back to normal. Right?

Would it cool the beast I guess is the question. Has anyone tried EngineIce in your bike or ADV 1190?
Chicoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #1577
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV

Oddometer: 68
Any coolant should be worse than straight distilled water in terms of heat moving capacity (until you get into a few hundred dollars a liter price). Then again, these bikes most likely have mixed metals in the cooling system, so you can't just run straight distilled water.

I'm not sure improving the water loop will help the heat onto the seat/sides at all anyways. Replacing the muffler with a better flowing / lower mass one, deleting the cat, and ceramic coating the headers should help though.
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #1578
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoblanco View Post
I've seen several discussions in this thread about the beast running hot. I've added heat shields but is there anything else I can do before I take off down Mexico, CA and SA this summer.

The thought occurred to me... could I use the same coolant that I've used in my dirt bikes for years, EngineIce.

You can't add "normal" coolant to it, but is that a big deal when traveling through CA/SA? If I needed to, the system could be flushed at any time and go back to normal. Right?

Would it cool the beast I guess is the question. Has anyone tried EngineIce in your bike or ADV 1190?
I don't think the heat issue is directly related to the cooling system. Exhaust and the cylinder head below the seat are more likely the culprits.

If it were the cooling system, probably the most effective way of lowering the operating temperature would be to install a thermostat that opens at lower temperatures. But the engine will not be running as efficiently as it was designed to with such a thermostat. Fuel economy will be lower. I don't know what other damages could occur, the catalytic converter could be a victim.

I would not mess with this. Better shields are probably the best solution. There was a guy selling some carbon fiber shields around here a few months back.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #1579
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
1000k 1st Maintenance dealer

Hi all

what did your dealer do for your 1st 1000km maintenance?
just oil change or more? cost?

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #1580
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
:-))) do whatever you want, it runs hot; especially in the slow traffic you feel it much much more. But besides that, I love the bike. :-))
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #1581
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
Hi all

what did your dealer do for your 1st 1000km maintenance?
just oil change or more? cost?

thanks
There's a chart starting on p.96 of your manual that shows what must be done at every service interval. People on here have been reporting a huge variety of costs, from maybe $100 plus parts to $300+. The KTM service guide calls for 71 minutes of labor.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #1582
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
There's a chart starting on p.96 of your manual that shows what must be done at every service interval. People on here have been reporting a huge variety of costs, from maybe $100 plus parts to $300+. The KTM service guide calls for 71 minutes of labor.
Hi

I know there is a list in the manual , just wanted to know if that is what the dealer is following or not

thanks for the info.. especially the 71 min labor avg.
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #1583
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
Any coolant should be worse than straight distilled water in terms of heat moving capacity (until you get into a few hundred dollars a liter price). Then again, these bikes most likely have mixed metals in the cooling system, so you can't just run straight distilled water.

I'm not sure improving the water loop will help the heat onto the seat/sides at all anyways. Replacing the muffler with a better flowing / lower mass one, deleting the cat, and ceramic coating the headers should help though.
running 60 40 instead of 50 50 should help while still being safe for the motor but yea who knows how that translates to the rider's legs. With the cat delete and muffler it will run leaner and hotter unless someone figures out how to map it.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #1584
Richterhome
Richterhome

Oddometer: 22
Got mine this past weekend

Added exhaust, heated grips, top case, bar risers, and belly pan. . .

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Ri...?sort=3&page=1

2010 Ducati Multistrada ABS; 2005 Aprilia Tuono Factory; 2004 KTM 950 Adventure; 2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000 RR; 2000 Honda Blackbird; 1977 Suzuki TS185
1976 Kawasaki KD100; 1970s Puch Maxi LS
Richterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #1585
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
running 60 40 instead of 50 50 should help while still being safe for the motor but yea who knows how that translates to the rider's legs. With the cat delete and muffler it will run leaner and hotter unless someone figures out how to map it.
is it just heat on the riders legs or does the bike actually run hotter? mine seems to run far cooler than my 990, usually only half way on the gauge?
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #1586
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
It's just been heat on the left leg for me so far.. Haven't ridden it in real heat yet but engine temps are pretty low even when I'm pushing the bike hard
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #1587
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell2355 View Post
My 1190 Adventure R is supposed to be delivered to the dealer this month and I'm trying to get all the farkles arranged prior to delivery ... Has anyone gotten KTM ADV Off-Road Package? How are the aux lights in that package? Do you know who makes them or what the specs are?
Hi JB,

The kit I purchased with the PowerParts auxiliary LED driving lamps, alarm system, and GPS mount was called the "Travel Kit" and there is another kit called the "Rally Kit" with bits for off road but not including the lights.

I'm very pleased with the lights, they are quality construction, mount very neatly, draw only 2A and the ultrabright LED's make a huge difference when driving at night. They are so bright that they dazzle oncoming traffic much more than the main headlight. As supplied the fitting instructions have them wired only via a supplementary on/off switch which I could not safely operate while driving. So I asked my dealer to modify the wiring so they only come on when the main beam is on. When I operate the dip switch the auxiliary lights turn off, leaving dipped headlights only.

I posted many pictures elsewhere on the forum so you can take a look. If you do get the dealer to install them, suggest you make sure the dealer takes the 12v "signal" feed to the aux lights relay coil from the main beam (blue wire).

Best wishes in your new purchase!

Rob
Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #1588
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 439
Has anyone done anything to make it so only the LED daytime running lamps are on during the day instead of the low beam as well?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #1589
baddrapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Has anyone tried spraying the underside of the seat pan and the side panels with lizardskin ceramic insulation? It can be found at lizardskin.com.
baddrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #1590
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Has anyone done anything to make it so only the LED daytime running lamps are on during the day instead of the low beam as well?
I haven't modified this aspect of my 2014 'R EU adv, but during daytime only the LED running lamps are on, and not the dipped beam. Then at dusk/ nighttime, the LED running lights switch off and dipped beam comes on.

Maybe there are some differences in driving regulations in your country, if so that might explain why you have dipped beam and running lights both on. For example in USA these evap canisters are fitted, I guess to meet some wierd regulations. But in EU they are not fitted. Also in Canada, side reflectors have to be fitted on front forks, in the EU they are not required.