Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #1591
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
I haven't modified this aspect of my 2014 'R EU adv, but during daytime only the LED running lamps are on, and not the dipped beam. Then at dusk/ nighttime, the LED running lights switch off and dipped beam comes on.

Maybe there are some differences in driving regulations in your country, if so that might explain why you have dipped beam and running lights both on. For example in USA these evap canisters are fitted, I guess to meet some wierd regulations. But in EU they are not fitted. Also in Canada, side reflectors have to be fitted on front forks, in the EU they are not required.
In the US the low/dipped beam is on during daytime along with the LEDs.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #1592
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Hey there,

You could put on a cat elimination header. From what I understand, you shouldn't even need to remap after adding it. I've heard it cuts WAY down on the heat generated from what is primarily the cat. Even though the rear exhaust header is in the general area, the cat seems to be the biggest heat producer.

Cheers,
VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoblanco View Post
I've seen several discussions in this thread about the beast running hot. I've added heat shields but is there anything else I can do before I take off down Mexico, CA and SA this summer.

The thought occurred to me... could I use the same coolant that I've used in my dirt bikes for years, EngineIce.

You can't add "normal" coolant to it, but is that a big deal when traveling through CA/SA? If I needed to, the system could be flushed at any time and go back to normal. Right?

Would it cool the beast I guess is the question. Has anyone tried EngineIce in your bike or ADV 1190?
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #1593
GearedUp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Go into the "settings menu" and turn the daytime running lights "on". The low beam light will then come on at startup but turn off when its light outside, leaving only the led lights on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Has anyone done anything to make it so only the LED daytime running lamps are on during the day instead of the low beam as well?
GearedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #1594
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,049
I think I've kept up with this thread, and it looks like most peeps are going to run hard bags. But I think I'd like to use my Wolfman Expedition dry (soft) bags, is there a set of racks that would work best for this, and give me the option of hard bags later if I did that kind of traveling?
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #1595
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I think I've kept up with this thread, and it looks like most peeps are going to run hard bags. But I think I'd like to use my Wolfman Expedition dry (soft) bags, is there a set of racks that would work best for this, and give me the option of hard bags later if I did that kind of traveling?

Check this thread out from wolfman

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938841

- go to post #15. Good pics on "JBirds" set-up. Other than the Jesse and one other ----(don't recall name but gives a different -closer- option of you have a Remus) Holan maybe??---
They all seem to be about the same in width. A few sit higher but would think they'd all be about the same as far as the Wolfman and still have hardbag usability.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #1596
JHpowderhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Bike shipped

So I finally got the call today from my dealer here in Jackson Hole, no the bikes not here but it shipped 4 days ago. It should be here any day now which is good because I'm planning on leaving on it next week to head south and into warm, hopefully hot weather. I'm planning a mostly paved trip thru southern Utah and maybe N AZ or where ever looks good.

I have a break between construction projects and haven't had a vacation in 2 years, and haven't taken a motorcycle road trip in way toooo long. So I'm going for warmth and to explore.

I'm stoked. If anybody has any good routes they want to share or if someone wants to meet up for a day ride ect. Let me know.

Got a lot of work to get her set up but it'll be fun.

Maybe I can get started tomorrow, or the next.

Eric
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #1597
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 75
Air box Dust

Hi fellow inmates,
I posted pix's of my dirty bike after a week in Death Valley riding dirt and rocks.
After getting home I finally had time to clean up and decided to put the Uni Filter on that I bought through Touratech. One of the first things I asked about when picking up my new 1190 R was if they had addressed the air-box leakage problem on the 2013's, the dealer and the rep from KTM, that just happened to be there said yes, and it had a new part number for the 2014's.
Well on opening her up I found a lite dusting all over the inside of the air box and in the stacks. Here are the photos. I called and they said it was no big deal.
It certainly makes me nervous.
Any thoughts?
By the way I was have lots of heat like everyone else off the engine so I cut up some plastic and zip tied it to the frame, Voila! no more slow cooking of my thighs. The engine is running at around 175 to 200 degrees in out side temps of 60 to 90 degrees.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #1598
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
I have had no issues with the 1190 running hot, it actually runs pretty cool just the rear cylinder puts out heat when in slow traffic. My 950 ran hotter than the 1190.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #1599
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
I have had no issues with the 1190 running hot, it actually runs pretty cool just the rear cylinder puts out heat when in slow traffic. My 950 ran hotter than the 1190.
In colder climate conditions having that heat is welcome.
I rode my 1190 through a very hot summer here in Oztralia and didnt whinge too much about it... My focus was the snarl and growl of the amazing motor..
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #1600
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearedUp View Post
Go into the "settings menu" and turn the daytime running lights "on". The low beam light will then come on at startup but turn off when its light outside, leaving only the led lights on.
Odd...I remember seeing this setting when I first got the bike but now I can't find it. I did get a firmware update since then -- I wonder if that functionality was removed.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #1601
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Has anyone done anything to make it so only the LED daytime running lamps are on during the day instead of the low beam as well?
You can do it yourself; before starting the bike, in the settings menu, at the bottom there is a tab saying -if I am not wrong- DRL on/off. However, there may be a difference, due to a country standard if there is such, which Ktm is obliged to ommit this choise from the menu. On my 2013, I can do it myself.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 AM   #1602
The "OC"
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hey TD

Get that unifilter on the bike ASAP, have had mine on since after the 1000kms service.

Done plenty dirt and it is looking promising
The "OC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #1603
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
The Touratech racks for the 1190r work for both.Have ridden with both on for couple hundred miles each.
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #1604
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyhog View Post
The Touratech racks for the 1190r work for both.Have ridden with both on for couple hundred miles each.
thanks, I've seen the TT racks on the GS, they look pretty nice as well.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #1605
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
I also am only going to be using soft bags (Wolfman Expedition "panniers" and Kreiga tailbag). I just bought the KTM hoops.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote