ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #151
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyhog View Post
do you have the oil filter #
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #152
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Did first oil change at 150 miles with recommended Motorex and filter from Cycle Gear (total $81.00). Filter quite dirty (no pic) and lots of stuff in the two screens. You only have to remove the skid-plate (I'll keep it on till I can get a proper replacement). Complete job easily done in 10 minutes or less. Filter is behind the round cover (between the two screens) in first picture. It's a little bit of a problem that you have to drain the rear screen onto a hot pipe. You have to add the second filling (the portion needed beyond 3L after first running the motor to distribute the oil) very slowly. Otherwise it will overflow.

Has 15000K (9300 miles) service interval. I probably won't run mine that long.
Keep some cardboard on hand for oil changes. You can cut and shape it to slide up under the hole so the oil stays off of the pipe
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #153
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyhog View Post
Do you have the oil filter #
Do you know if KTM has a service/repair manual available?
The 1190R owners manual has a bit of service info in it.Would be nice to have more info.
KN 158. Same as old LC 8 and RC 8 bikes. I think the HighFlo number is 158 also. They are available most everywhere.

Repair Manual but may not have 2014 information such as MSC.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 09:53 AM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #154
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitydirt View Post
Keep some cardboard on hand for oil changes. You can cut and shape it to slide up under the hole so the oil stays off of the pipe
Yea, I think I will use metal. The CAT being just a few inches away keeps that area really hot.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #155
Enigmagic
wat

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynehasty View Post
5 - Bulbs in the turn signals, really. Why didn't they use LEDs?
The euro models have them, and the US plated demo day bikes did as well. I ordered the LED units from http://www.ktm-versand.de/ recently, expecting delivery later in the week. Hope they work without resistors... guess I'll know soon.
Enigmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #156
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmagic View Post
The euro models have them, and the US plated demo day bikes did as well. I ordered the LED units from http://www.ktm-versand.de/ recently, expecting delivery later in the week. Hope they work without resistors... guess I'll know soon.
Thanks for being a beta tester - I'd like to switch to LED bulbs as well. Just because.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #157
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
KN 158. Same as old LC 8 and RC 8 bikes. I think the HighFlo number is 158 also. They are available most everywhere.

Repair Manual but may not have 2014 information such as MSC.
Thank You,just what I needed.
I plan on doing the early oil change also as it seemed to work on my other vehicles.
New to KTM and trying to learn.The early learning curve is steep and I am just starting.Best place for parts,how too,etc.
Your help is appreciated.
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #158
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Age old question of breaking in a bike

How are all you guys breaking in the 1190

Rpm up to 6500

Run through all gears

Hard or soft revs

Thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #159
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post

Rpm up to 6500

Run through all gears

Hard or soft revs

Thanks
I never ran past the 6,500 rpm limit and was more or less heavy handed with the throttle. I ran though the gears as much as possible.

Also, I kept it in rain mode, so I wouldn't zip passed the rev-limiter accidentally
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #160
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Rpm up to 6500

Run through all gears

Hard or soft revs

Thanks
thanks

how long will you break it in?
1000km?
all my other bikes were broken in same way and after the initial oil change ran it like i would drive it all the time, never used any oil that way .
Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #161
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:

Rpm up to 6500

Run through all gears

Hard or soft revs

Thanks
Here's a link to a post I made to the big 1190 thread. Given the two dyno runs on each motor during manufacturing, the rings are likely already seated. I feel uncomfortable running the motor for 620 miles on the oil from the second dyno run. There was all sorts of metal and Locktite residue in the screens. The rear screen (oil coming from the transmission) had more (and larger) metal pieces. The filter was quite dirty also. I also did a second oil change around 720 miles.

How to run-in a new motor is not without controversy, MotoMan's ideas on the subject.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 12:13 PM
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #162
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Here's a link to a post I made to the big 1190 thread. Given the two dyno runs on each motor during manufacturing, the rings are likely already seated. I feel uncomfortable running the motor for 620 miles on the oil from the second dyno run. There was all sorts of metal and Locktite residue in the screens. The rear screen (oil coming from the transmission) had more (and larger) metal pieces. The filter was quite dirty also. I also did a second oil change around 650 miles.

How to run-in a new motor is not without controversy, MotoMan's ideas on the subject.
Nice thanks
burning any oil yet?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #163
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Got my 1190 yesterday and have put about 60 miles on it. The seat gets warm but not to bad, yesterday and today it has been 80 here in SoCal. My 950 cooked the rear part of my legs on days like this until I changed to Akras even then it put out some heat. I just ordered a Wings shorty and dumped the canister so the tool kit fits in there now. Have been doing heat cycles and loading the motor up to about 6k to seat the rings. Man this motor makes the 950 feel weak. It feels very much the same as the 950 except it turns much sharper and goes up on the center stand easy. The motor is very smooth but the tranny is clunky but i am sure it will smooth out. The fueling is very nice more like carbs then fuel injection, no fuel cut off when slowing so that is nice. There was lots of grease on the chain that dripped all over the hot pipe and smoked like it was on fire so i cleaned all that off, then all good. The little glove box in the dash is really cheep and filling the gas tank looks to be a very slow job because of the moulding of the tank but still have 3/4 of a tank so will have to equate that in a few days. But this is like the 950 in that your face is going to hurt from all the smiling your going to do riding it!

Quote:
Here's a link to a post I made to the big 1190 thread. Given the two dyno runs on each motor during manufacturing, the rings are likely already seated. I feel uncomfortable running the motor for 620 miles on the oil from the second dyno run. There was all sorts of metal and Locktite residue in the screens. The rear screen (oil coming from the transmission) had more (and larger) metal pieces. The filter was quite dirty also. I also did a second oil change around 650 miles.

I just read this entire article. He mentions not exceeding 65mph but does not mention an RPM not to exceed. For those of you who have already taken delivery what was or is your break in process?
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #164
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
I just read this entire article. He mentions not exceeding 65mph but does not mention an RPM not to exceed. For those of you who have already taken delivery what was or is your break in process?
2014 boys...

you buy it...then ride the piss out if it....

I am at 650 miles....no oil loss....on a closed course yesterday the bike may have gone north of 120mph....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #165
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
Just a bit of throttle, low rpm for the first 250 miles (-6000) building up from then. Every 65miles an extra 1000 rpm running trough the gears. Change gears and speed as much as possible. Never keep driving the same speed for a long time.
Keep minimum throttle up to 650 miles. After that, you can gently use more and more throttle. I start running it like an idiot after 2000 miles.

2 years ago, when i worked for Benelli, we broke in 2 Benelli Tre-K's (built on the same day, delivered on the same day). One was ridden hard afther just 65 miles, the other was broken in as told in the beginning of this post. When both bikes had 6500 miles, they went on the same day on the same dyno. There was a difference of 7hp between the both machines.

Just like KTM, Benelli does 2 testruns. But a good old fasion run/break in still cant hurt.

Oh yeah, fuell economie was 12% lower on the more powerfull bike that i broke in.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote