ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #2341
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness
 
AmericanWalkabout's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Nth GA
Oddometer: 214
Bar adjustments

Have you rotated them forward and up?

OEM bar clamps can be turned around for 10mm further forward and then rotated to #1-5 for a more comfortable fit. I'm 6'4" and found the factory setting terrible. After flipping the mount to move forward and rotating to #1 setting they are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
i swear i tried the search feature and maybe i am not seeing it or using it correclty.

but here is my question: i dont like the bars on my 1190, very swept back and when i am standing it feels very strange. i rode my buddys 990r and the bars felt great (renthal 792)

has anyone put these on their bike yet? i am 5'11 and am looking for a more comfortable bar.

thanks in advance

ps: i have the black dog cycle pegs which are also 1/2" lower.

kindest
__________________
Have fun, smile and don't forget to BREATHE
'14 KTM 1190 Adv; '09 DRZ400SM (21/18 Dirt)
AmericanWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #2342
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 855
Clunking noise in the front.

OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

Has anyone or dealer figure out what is causing this yet??
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #2343
Biguns
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

Has anyone or dealer figure out what is causing this yet??
I have the same noise. The dealer checked the bearing during the first service, and everything was tight. They also pulled apart the compression leg, and found nothing wrong. No fix yet.
Biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #2344
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Their knowledgable because I had to straighten them out back in early December. They too original quoted me R8 insurance premium which was around $1K. They never heard of the a 1190 ADV R and I had to explained that it was just like the ADV 990. They finally agree to price the insurance as a 990 until they could update their computers to quote a ADV 1190. It was a total fiasco. In fact for 2 months my insurance card stated that the bike was KTM 990 ADV with the 1190's VIN.
Just got me a '14 1190R!

So far my only disappointment has been insurance rate. I have Geico powersports, am almost 40years old, no claims ever... And my policy is 50% higher for the '14 1190 ADV-R compared to my '12 RC8R for identical coverage.

I asked incredulously how this could be and was told that since they have the same engine size and the ADV-R is newer that is the reason. I guess if you have a '12 Corvette and you buy a '14 Silverado you should expect the same logic right? Have been with Geico multiple bikes 5 years, but now it is time to look elsewhere.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #2345
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Just got me a '14 1190R!

So far my only disappointment has been insurance rate. I have Geico powersports, am almost 40years old, no claims ever... And my policy is 50% higher for the '14 1190 ADV-R compared to my '12 RC8R for identical coverage.

I asked incredulously how this could be and was told that since they have the same engine size and the ADV-R is newer that is the reason. I guess if you have a '12 Corvette and you buy a '14 Silverado you should expect the same logic right? Have been with Geico multiple bikes 5 years, but now it is time to look elsewhere.
Shop around as the rates vary considerable. I was with Progressive for years with multiple bikes and no claims or tickets and when I bought a Multi they tried to gouge me. The agent at the dealership checked around and found a policy with Dairyland for 1/3 the premium. Saludos, JIm
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #2346
breakfastbuddy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Oddometer: 33
its really a mistake

you insure a '14 1190 ADV-R and they think the R stands for racing , if you check Insurance for a '14 1190 ADV-std you find it cost you half that much
breakfastbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #2347
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastbuddy View Post
you insure a '14 1190 ADV-R and they think the R stands for racing , if you check Insurance for a '14 1190 ADV-std you find it cost you half that much
Nah, you're giving them too much credit. It is a mindless process where they enter the VIN and it comes up in their risk rating as it has been simplistically categorized by engine size.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #2348
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biguns View Post
I have the same noise. The dealer checked the bearing during the first service, and everything was tight. They also pulled apart the compression leg, and found nothing wrong. No fix yet.
My "dealer" checked mine but did not adjust anything. Said it was fine. Same clunking noise. Happened since I bought the bike.

I posted this a few days ago:

I had this happening to my bike, I followed the procedure to adjust the steering head bearing play in the shop manual and after two days now, there is no more issue.

I'm just lucky I had a wrench that would fit on the stem nut. I suppose you could whack it a few times with a dowel and a hammer.
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #2349
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
My "dealer" checked mine but did not adjust anything. Said it was fine. Same clunking noise. Happened since I bought the bike.

I posted this a few days ago:

I had this happening to my bike, I followed the procedure to adjust the steering head bearing play in the shop manual and after two days now, there is no more issue.

I'm just lucky I had a wrench that would fit on the stem nut. I suppose you could whack it a few times with a dowel and a hammer.
I will have to try adjusting it using the manual. With mine you can squeeze the front brake and rock the bike forward and as the the forks compress you will consistently get the click to happen. The only good thing is that the noise is consistent.
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #2350
Koolranch
NCADVR
 
Koolranch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Mint Hill, NC
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Just got me a '14 1190R!



So far my only disappointment has been insurance rate. I have Geico powersports, am almost 40years old, no claims ever... And my policy is 50% higher for the '14 1190 ADV-R compared to my '12 RC8R for identical coverage.



I asked incredulously how this could be and was told that since they have the same engine size and the ADV-R is newer that is the reason. I guess if you have a '12 Corvette and you buy a '14 Silverado you should expect the same logic right? Have been with Geico multiple bikes 5 years, but now it is time to look elsewhere.

What state are you in and how much was it??
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #2351
kag
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
What state are you in and how much was it??
Says NC
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #2352
highsider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Similar dimensions
What additional ergo mods have you done so far to improve rider position?
Just moved the bars to the forward position, and the pegs to the lower setting. Neither are adjustable enough to make much difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
highsider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #2353
DigDeep
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

Has anyone or dealer figure out what is causing this yet??
There is no pinch bolt on the steering stem like other KTM's. The movement and sound is coming from movement of the top triple clamp moving back and fourth.

I fixed mine from tightening the aluminum bolt.
DigDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #2354
highsider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
(excuse the messy garage project.... the new moto was making my shop look bad )



That looks like a surgery room compared to mine

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
highsider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #2355
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: A town or 2 north of Boston
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

Has anyone or dealer figure out what is causing this yet??
I had this problem... I bought a spanner wrench and tighten the steering stem nut bearing (the one below the top triple clamp). Mine was not even hand tightened. I think tightening this is a part of dealer prep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014