Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #2341
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 214
Bar adjustments

Have you rotated them forward and up?

OEM bar clamps can be turned around for 10mm further forward and then rotated to #1-5 for a more comfortable fit. I'm 6'4" and found the factory setting terrible. After flipping the mount to move forward and rotating to #1 setting they are much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmickites View Post
i swear i tried the search feature and maybe i am not seeing it or using it correclty.

but here is my question: i dont like the bars on my 1190, very swept back and when i am standing it feels very strange. i rode my buddys 990r and the bars felt great (renthal 792)

has anyone put these on their bike yet? i am 5'11 and am looking for a more comfortable bar.

thanks in advance

ps: i have the black dog cycle pegs which are also 1/2" lower.

kindest
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #2342
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Clunking noise in the front.

OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

Has anyone or dealer figure out what is causing this yet??
Old 05-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #2343
Biguns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
OK the clunking or loud single click noise when braking in the front has started. It's loud enough to hear with ear plugs in. I don't see anything hitting or rubbing. There doesn't seem to be any excess play in front bearing. I'm not sure what it is, I only know it happens when the forks compress...

I have the same noise. The dealer checked the bearing during the first service, and everything was tight. They also pulled apart the compression leg, and found nothing wrong. No fix yet.
Biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #2344
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Their knowledgable because I had to straighten them out back in early December. They too original quoted me R8 insurance premium which was around $1K. They never heard of the a 1190 ADV R and I had to explained that it was just like the ADV 990. They finally agree to price the insurance as a 990 until they could update their computers to quote a ADV 1190. It was a total fiasco. In fact for 2 months my insurance card stated that the bike was KTM 990 ADV with the 1190's VIN.
Just got me a '14 1190R!

So far my only disappointment has been insurance rate. I have Geico powersports, am almost 40years old, no claims ever... And my policy is 50% higher for the '14 1190 ADV-R compared to my '12 RC8R for identical coverage.

I asked incredulously how this could be and was told that since they have the same engine size and the ADV-R is newer that is the reason. I guess if you have a '12 Corvette and you buy a '14 Silverado you should expect the same logic right? Have been with Geico multiple bikes 5 years, but now it is time to look elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #2345
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Just got me a '14 1190R!

So far my only disappointment has been insurance rate. I have Geico powersports, am almost 40years old, no claims ever... And my policy is 50% higher for the '14 1190 ADV-R compared to my '12 RC8R for identical coverage.

I asked incredulously how this could be and was told that since they have the same engine size and the ADV-R is newer that is the reason. I guess if you have a '12 Corvette and you buy a '14 Silverado you should expect the same logic right? Have been with Geico multiple bikes 5 years, but now it is time to look elsewhere.
Shop around as the rates vary considerable. I was with Progressive for years with multiple bikes and no claims or tickets and when I bought a Multi they tried to gouge me. The agent at the dealership checked around and found a policy with Dairyland for 1/3 the premium. Saludos, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #2346
breakfastbuddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
its really a mistake

you insure a '14 1190 ADV-R and they think the R stands for racing , if you check Insurance for a '14 1190 ADV-std you find it cost you half that much
breakfastbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #2347
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastbuddy View Post
you insure a '14 1190 ADV-R and they think the R stands for racing , if you check Insurance for a '14 1190 ADV-std you find it cost you half that much
Nah, you're giving them too much credit. It is a mindless process where they enter the VIN and it comes up in their risk rating as it has been simplistically categorized by engine size.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #2348
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biguns View Post
I have the same noise. The dealer checked the bearing during the first service, and everything was tight. They also pulled apart the compression leg, and found nothing wrong. No fix yet.
My "dealer" checked mine but did not adjust anything. Said it was fine. Same clunking noise. Happened since I bought the bike.

I posted this a few days ago:

I had this happening to my bike, I followed the procedure to adjust the steering head bearing play in the shop manual and after two days now, there is no more issue.

I'm just lucky I had a wrench that would fit on the stem nut. I suppose you could whack it a few times with a dowel and a hammer.
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #2349
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
My "dealer" checked mine but did not adjust anything. Said it was fine. Same clunking noise. Happened since I bought the bike.

I posted this a few days ago:

I had this happening to my bike, I followed the procedure to adjust the steering head bearing play in the shop manual and after two days now, there is no more issue.

I'm just lucky I had a wrench that would fit on the stem nut. I suppose you could whack it a few times with a dowel and a hammer.
I will have to try adjusting it using the manual. With mine you can squeeze the front brake and rock the bike forward and as the the forks compress you will consistently get the click to happen. The only good thing is that the noise is consistent.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #2350
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Just got me a '14 1190R!

What state are you in and how much was it??
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #2351
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
What state are you in and how much was it??
Says NC

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #2352
highsider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Similar dimensions
What additional ergo mods have you done so far to improve rider position?
Just moved the bars to the forward position, and the pegs to the lower setting. Neither are adjustable enough to make much difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
highsider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #2353
DigDeep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:

There is no pinch bolt on the steering stem like other KTM's. The movement and sound is coming from movement of the top triple clamp moving back and fourth.

I fixed mine from tightening the aluminum bolt.
DigDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #2354
highsider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
(excuse the messy garage project.... the new moto was making my shop look bad )

That looks like a surgery room compared to mine

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
highsider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #2355
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:

I had this problem... I bought a spanner wrench and tighten the steering stem nut bearing (the one below the top triple clamp). Mine was not even hand tightened. I think tightening this is a part of dealer prep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote