User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #2461
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 877
Right Fork seal leaking oil

Been planning my Colorado ride that I am supposed to be leaving on next Thursday afternoon and came home from work and a small puddle of oil was on the garage floor. Great.....

Looked at the caliper closely and nope not it. Only thing it could be was the fork seal....sure enough, it had ran down the fork onto the rim and tire. So called to see if I could get a fork seal kit....of course back ordered 2 or more weeks.....hmmm wonder if its an issue? I am pretty sure the orange 47mm seal used on the 1190 is the same seal they use on some other KTMs.... hoping it is....just not seal kit available but if I can get the just the orange seal replaced i might be gtg for the trip. So off in the morning to get it checked out. I did try cleaning the seal.

If it can not be repaired by Wednesday I will either quickly prep the Buell Ulysses or the Triumph Tiger for the Colorado trip, just disappointing as I have been rigging it out for this trip. One of the primary reasons I bought the KTM was I lacked faith in the Buell Ulysses to go long distances.....mainly because of electrical issues, broken belts I can easily deal with and always carry a spare. The Triumph is a very capable bike for the trip but that's not the point I guess, but adapt and overcome.

I guess if I had to I could ride it as the left fork seems ok and know there would be no sudden fork failure, just it may get squishy and the right front brake pad would be worthless once fork oil gets on the pads. But I also would hate to be 700 miles from home and have a serious issue in Colorado.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 08:30 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #2462
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 505
I'm sure you can find seals that will fit. It is probably a common size tube. Even a seal shop might have it. Or suspension shop (bike). You could also try cleaning out the seal with a film (photo) negative. Run it up into the seal to clean out any dirt up there. Or you may have a ding n the fork tube?
I would try to get it fixed instead of riding the Buell.

Seal savers have helped me in the past. Haven't put them on the 1190 yet.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #2463
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Been planning my Colorado ride that I am supposed to be leaving on next Thursday afternoon and came home from work and a small puddle of oil was on the garage floor. Great.....

Looked at the caliper closely and nope not it. Only thing it could be was the fork seal....sure enough, it had ran down the fork onto the rim and tire. So called to see if I could get a fork seal kit....of course back ordered 2 or more weeks.....hmmm wonder if its an issue? I am pretty sure the orange 47mm seal used on the 1190 is the same seal they use on some other KTMs.... hoping it is....just not seal kit available but if I can get the just the orange seal replaced i might be gtg for the trip. So off in the morning to get it checked out. I did try cleaning the seal.

If it can not be repaired by Wednesday I will either quickly prep the Buell Ulysses or the Triumph Tiger for the Colorado trip, just disappointing as I have been rigging it out for this trip. One of the primary reasons I bought the KTM was I lacked faith in the Buell Ulysses to go long distances.....mainly because of electrical issues, broken belts I can easily deal with and always carry a spare. The Triumph is a very capable bike for the trip but that's not the point I guess, but adapt and overcome.

I guess if I had to I could ride it as the left fork seems ok and know there would be no sudden fork failure, just it may get squishy and the right front brake pad would be worthless once fork oil gets on the pads. But I also would hate to be 700 miles from home and have a serious issue in Colorado.

I give you a 85% chance of fixing it with a seal-mate. Don't rebuild the forks until at least trying to clean the seals... Its almost always dirt in the seal.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #2464
kag
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyamkaw View Post
I'm sure you can find seals that will fit. It is probably a common size tube. Even a seal shop might have it. Or suspension shop (bike). You could also try cleaning out the seal with a film (photo) negative. Run it up into the seal to clean out any dirt up there. Or you may have a ding n the fork tube?
I would try to get it fixed instead of riding the Buell.

Seal savers have helped me in the past. Haven't put them on the 1190 yet.
Thanks.....I made a Seal Mate type tool out of a piece of plastic milk jug and tried that but after pumping the forks about a dozen times i still had oil residue on the extension tube.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 AM   #2465
mvonkaenel
Mtn Mike

Oddometer: 71
Seals

Check with Jeff at Slavens Racing in Colorado Springs. He a a great suspension guy and stocks many KTM parts.
Could possibly help you get it done there.
Good luck
'07 Yam XT225
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #2466
kag
Wander Lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvonkaenel View Post
Check with Jeff at Slavens Racing in Colorado Springs. He a a great suspension guy and stocks many KTM parts.
Could possibly help you get it done there.
Good luck
Thanks

I should be in Colorado Springs Friday....hopefully. I am just going to ride it, the leak has slowed dramatically....if it fails it fails.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #2467
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
A friend of mine had a seal go out at a bad time and he could not replace it so he used some hydraulic fluid that repairs seals and it worked for a month or so. It just swells the seal material but it worked in a pinch.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #2468
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 858
Anyone that has fitted an Arrow header, what skid plate are using ? Any modification required ? Thanks

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #2469
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Question

Any one hear when the 15 1190r will be showing up?
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #2470
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
any one hear when the 15 1190r will be showing up?
+1
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #2471
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
Any one hear when the 15 1190r will be showing up?
That presupposes that it is an "R", and I don't think it is. From looking at the sneak pictures it seems to be neither an R nor an S, but instead may be a "T for touring", to compete with the BMW R1200RT. Why else fit adaptive suspension and cruise control, and a bigger front fairing and fuel tank. Are these changes needed for off-road? Nope. Just my guess, I may be wrong.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #2472
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 392
I'm ready for my first oil change. Can someone tell me what oil they are using? The only 10w50 seeing is the motorex.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #2473
CaliBerger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
From looking at the sneak pictures
Source please
CaliBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #2474
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
I'm ready for my first oil change. Can someone tell me what oil they are using? The only 10w50 seeing is the motorex.

using the motorex for that very reason. a bad experience with what the wrong viscosity can do to a diesel engine has me convinced to stick with what is recommended. Hopefully someone else will provide a 10-50 soon.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #2475
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBerger View Post
Source please
Source pictures posted on facebook by Canaria Moto Rent in Spain, here:

https://www.facebook.com/CMR.Canaria...?stream_ref=10

Wider front fairings with extra air scoop/ duct:

New screen mounted further away from the 'bike leaving an air gap/ intake at the bottom. Bit like the "Madstad" screen design. Looks like new electronic dampers of some kind because they are "jury rigged" and not permanently wired. Guess: dynamic EDS in development. Also, you can just see new r/h instrument cluster with electronic cruise controls:

New thermal insulation on rear exhaust downpipe:

Another big air duct here:

New screen mount / adjustment knobs:

Note the crashbars are relocated lower to make room for the new front fairing:

... is this the next "R" for "off road" or is it more a "T" for "tourer"?

RobZorba screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 11:29 AM
RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote