KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
Hi

Do you guys ship to Canada?
of course. we ship worldwide daily

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #242
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos View Post
Any intention in making a version that doesn't require crashbars for mounting?
Absolutely but not until after I get back from my "product testing" trip to Baja in March. We will be working but will need to work in our fab shop to get that lined out properly

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #243
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Baja build out

Not as much time as I would like to tear into the bike to get it built up for our "product testing" trip to Baja, but a good start.

KTM did a few strange things with the bodywork but not too bad. Definitely more of a "street bike" design in terms of bodywork. Bummer the tank has to be pulled to access the airbox (just like the 950SE) but not a huge surprise. Definitely easier than dealing with the twin tanks in my opinion.

Also - one important discovery I found. Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere. Been a little busy to keep up with the thread. If you are going to install something other than street tires, make sure you have some tubes handy. I spooned up a set of Karoo3s (which are tubeless tires) and the rear tire would NOT hold air. Leaked rapidly from the spokes. From what I am told, unless there is sufficient air pressure to hold the rubber membrane against the rim, the tires will leak air. I believe I had about 30 lbs of air but the rear was flat in no time. The front seems to be holding air fine.

Also, the valve stem / tire pressure monitor will need to be removed and you will need to put an M10 washer under the nut for the valve stem as the hole in the rim is enlarged to accommodate the sensor. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #244
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,356
Howdy folks!

So, last year I drank some Red Kool-Aid and got me a Ducati Monster. Fun bike! I just was never comfortable on it, as I'm a little to old and big for it. Fine for about 45min, then I'm thinking about big, comfy, adventure mounts.

Went to check out the ONLY available 1190R near me yesterday. I don't remember drinking any ORANGE Kool-Aid on the way, but I must have. Struck a deal with them, and will trailer up the Duc, and trailer home the KaToom. It's been bitterly cold here this week, but I see tomorrow it will hit 50. Maybe I can ride it home! We'll see...

I sure hope it's as good as everyone is saying it is. My wife says no more bike purchasing for a while

Hey KTMforget -
How low do you think I could air down for off road, with TKC80's, and not have a problem with the rubber seal?

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 12:53 PM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #245
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
\
How low do you think I could air down for off road, with TKC80's, and not have a problem with the rubber seal?
If you go below 30 on the front with the world's weakest sidewalled tire (TKC)...your poblem will not be the rubber seal....

I have these same wheels on my Super-moto...26psi....never leaks....lighter bike though...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #246
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Got my new Wings shorty last night and in about 15mins they was on. I had Akras on my 950 and they were very nice quality but these are just beautiful and they give you two db killers with screens so they will work as a spark arrestor. Only took 5 days to get them.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #247
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Got my new Wings shorty last night and in about 15mins they was on. I had Akras on my 950 and they were very nice quality but these are just beautiful and they give you two db killers with screens so they will work as a spark arrestor. Only took 5 days to get them.
Why di you chose the Shorty over the Standard?
size or sound?
thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #248
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
2014 and Unifilter

Are people with 2014 bikes still going to install the unifilter from the start ?
Even though there is a new Airbox design?
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #249
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Why di you chose the Shorty over the Standard?
size or sound?
thanks
I've choosen the shorty aswel.
Looks better in my option. And the go with the smaller panniers holders for Remus exhaust (Nomada).
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #250
Tjeu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Are people with 2014 bikes still going to install the unifilter from the start ?
Don't know why... The 2014 has a different airbox without problems.
Tjeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #251
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
If you go below 30 on the front with the world's weakest sidewalled tire (TKC)...your poblem will not be the rubber seal....

I have these same wheels on my Super-moto...26psi....never leaks....lighter bike though...
True enough! I usually don't drop the pressure a LOT. Just 5 or 10psi makes a massive difference on gravel/dirt. Most of my riding will not have be in rocky, wheel ruining terrain.

It's funny how everyone told me my old vstrom was going to suck off road because it had cast wheels... never had a problem, and I felt that front TKC sidewall give to the amount of me thinking I just dented something, more than once (in CO). Never a problem! I am more concerned with these big spoked hoops, and the few stories I have heard.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 01-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #252
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,149
Yes

I will be doing just this

Quote:
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #253
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMforget View Post
I spooned up a set of Karoo3s (which are tubeless tires) and the rear tire would NOT hold air. Leaked rapidly from the spokes. From what I am told, unless there is sufficient air pressure to hold the rubber membrane against the rim, the tires will leak air. I believe I had about 30 lbs of air but the rear was flat in no time. The front seems to be holding air fine.

You must have dislodge or damaged the sealing strip when changing tires. Once the tire bead is set, they'll hold air down to zero.

PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #254
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
If I understand you correctly, the abs, traction control .....etc. was none functional. Yet the bike was mechanically rideable?

Excellent news! At least we can get home if the system fails.

Tapatalk response filtered through the NSA.

Yes, made me happy too!
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #255
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
You must have dislodge or damaged the sealing strip when changing tires. Once the tire bead is set, they'll hold air down to zero.

This is good to hear. I will make a note to BE CAREFUL when changing shoes.

BLOG