ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #271
FootLB
Banned

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewinderX View Post
I will start with my ?, then explain why....

How does the wind protection on a new 1190 compare to a GSA-like bike?

I have had my fair share of experiences on ADV bikes. I have had KTM dirt's in the stable for almost 10 years now so I love the brand.... Currently have a new 250SX and a 300SX...

In the fall of 2010 I got a MTS1200 Touring and lovingly placed 20,000 miles on her in 7 months until a car hit me (leaving me in the ditch knocked out) with two broken hands and 4 discs bulged, pressing into my spinal cord. I recovered but had lower extremity numbness for awhile. My body relearned how to deal with the discs and I am normal- except....

During the MTS duration I also had a KTM 690 Enduro. I traded it on a KTM990 Adv R and truly enjoyed it. I was playing around one day and flipped her end over end on a hardpack ending with a broken shoulder and re-rupturing my spinal discs..... Damnit.....

Well, after that healed, I decided to slow down and enjoy life for a bit. BMW time..... lol

I purchased a 2012 GSA 1200 Triple black. I have clocked her up to 37,000 miles now and she serves me well. But---- I have found myself LUSTING the new KTM 1190.

MY PROBLEM- After a few hundred miles in the saddle, if I have any head bobble due to wind pushing my helmet around, my lower extremities can become just a little numb. This in turn has caused me to almost drop my bike (this is why I had to sell the 990R) when I come to a stop.

Last fall, I did almost 800 miles in one day riding two-up from NC to Niagara Falls with no issues on the GSA. It was only due to the large wind screen protection allotted from the stock screen and side wings.

Your Thoughts?

I have a similar story except not all the accidents. I do have some physical challenges however not caused by motorcycling.

I also currently own a camhead GSA.

I also find myself lusting over 150hp machines like the KTM and Duc.

I was about ready to put the Bimmer up for sale but I an coming to my senses. The GSA fits a big guy like me (with bum knees) very well and provides decent power, comfort, carrying capacity and accommodations for a passenger. I also have mine completely farkled the way I want (including Vario adjustable windshield which completely did away with buffeting for me.)

The BMW may not be the most exciting machine out there but it's hard to beat its ability to do many things well. I'm keeping mine!
FootLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #272
tmyhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
I cut out a piece of plastic with our CNC machine at work that covers all of the holes in the fender and is the size of the plate. It was a tight fit but it looks really good. I still have the template if anyone wants one. Send me a PM.

Hey,That pic is outside.Have you been riding in this stuff?
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #273
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Found some strange things as i was messing with the favorites on the computer. I tried to set my DRL's to the brighter setting and was following the owners manual but no DRL setting will show up as you scroll through the choices, it shows it in the manual. Also when the key is turned on but not running I heard a noise like a that you get when you call a number on your phone and it's a fax, that screeching buzzing sound. It's not very loud but its their. When you turn the key off it still is their for a second then it shuts off like its connected to a switch or solenoid. Its up around the throttle bodies, you can touch the linkage of the throttle bodies and it changes pitch, weird! It doesn't affect the bike while running and of course you can't hear it then either, all you hear it that sweet Wings shorty!!!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #274
Wonway
KTM Fanboi #2

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyhog View Post
Hey,That pic is outside.Have you been riding in this stuff?
I did once and it made a mess of things. There is more salt on the roads than there was ever snow :(

A few people asked for pictures of my pate mount. Here it is from the back.

1994 Ducati 888 LTD #61
2008 Husqvarna TE610
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #275
Bikefalcon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question

This has probably already been covered somewhere in this thread . But, I am considering a 2014 model( great in test ride) . Have the earlier issues( air filter leaks and excess engine heat on leg and seat) been corrected on the 2014 US models? As an aside, also tested a 2014 BMW GS. Both are very quick, handle great, comfortable. The question is, is the cruise control and shaft drive of the GS worth $4k (mid $20s for the GS vs mid $16s for the 1190)?
Bikefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #276
FootLB
Banned

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikefalcon View Post
This has probably already been covered somewhere in this thread . But, I am considering a 2014 model( great in test ride) . Have the earlier issues( air filter leaks and excess engine heat on leg and seat) been corrected on the 2014 US models? As an aside, also tested a 2014 BMW GS. Both are very quick, handle great, comfortable. The question is, is the cruise control and shaft drive of the GS worth $4k (mid $20s for the GS vs mid $16s for the 1190)?
Fixt...CC, shaft drive and semi-active suspension on the BM.

AND sorry...the 1190 is NOT gonna be mid-16's out the door.
FootLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #277
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Where'd you demo the 1190? The local dealer here doesn't offer demo rides and is selling them for $18K. I'd rather travel a bit to support a better dealer.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #278
Koolranch
NCADVR

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
The air box issue has been redesigned and fixed for 2014. They added some heat tape to help with the rear cylinder heat issue however you will still feel heat, especially when you are stationary.
Koolranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #279
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Tested the 1190 and the GS back to back a few weeks ago then made a list and started working on which one was going to meet most of my requirements. The 1190 won and I have a grey one with 105 miles on it now. They both are comfortable bikes with the BMW is about 10% better in road comfort, which includes vibes, wind and seat. I felt the 1190 was more stable on the freeway and less prone to wind gusts hitting your shoulder and influencing the bars, that happened and irregular surfaces made the BMW's front shake a bit. The 1190's motor is just a little more vibes but with some different bars I think that can be eliminated. Both have a ton of power. I think the 1190 is a better looking bike. Having the first year 950 and living with it for 10 yrs and having a BMW LT I am not influenced by a brand. I made the decision and the KTM won by 3 or 4 categories but my friend who went to test ride with me that day has ordered a GS so it just goes to show that whats good for one isn't for the other!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #280
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Matson View Post
Tested the 1190 and the GS back to back a few weeks ago then made a list and started working on which one was going to meet most of my requirements. The 1190 won and I have a grey one with 105 miles on it now. They both are comfortable bikes with the BMW is about 10% better in road comfort, which includes vibes, wind and seat. I felt the 1190 was more stable on the freeway and less prone to wind gusts hitting your shoulder and influencing the bars, that happened and irregular surfaces made the BMW's front shake a bit. The 1190's motor is just a little more vibes but with some different bars I think that can be eliminated. Both have a ton of power. I think the 1190 is a better looking bike. Having the first year 950 and living with it for 10 yrs and having a BMW LT I am not influenced by a brand. I made the decision and the KTM won by 3 or 4 categories but my friend who went to test ride with me that day has ordered a GS so it just goes to show that whats good for one isn't for the other!
I have an 09 GSA and the 1190 STD in the garage right now.
I know what you mean about wind protection. The GSA is way better for wind protection for my head. Helmet noise is worse on the KTM.
I also think that road feelback is a little harsher on the KTM. I can not see myself doing 400 mile days. With my neck, back and wrist issues I will be tired and sore after 400 miles on the KTM. I was not fond of 400 mile days on the GSA. There is also some engine heat to deal with on the KTM, but once you are over 35mph you really do not notice it. With that said I'm keeping the KTM and selling my GSA. All bikes are a compromise, and for the time being I want a bike that is better in the dirt and I can still ride 200-300 miles in a day an not be to tired. I tried that on my KTM 690 and was not a happy camper. The KTM motor is a bonus as well as the MSC. If I was doing alot of high mileage days and little to no dirt the BMW would be the better choice, IMO.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #281
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm under the impression that the air box issue is resolved on the 14.
But if you have doubts there is or will be a UNI filter solution soon.
The heat issue has not been resolved and given motor / exhaust design doubt it can be fixed. decreased perhaps with some of the shields that you might have seen.
For me it came down to the type of riding that I want to do. I have a GSA and the 1190. I want to do more dirt and frankly do not like the GSA in the dirt. Probably comes down to my skill level. Lord knows there are plenty of GS/ GSA riders that go places I can not.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #282
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Tried a sheep skin cover today and did not notice any heat.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #283
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. Good idea
Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #284
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
I have them on a couple of other bikes and they are good gear to have and really help for comfort

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #285
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Anyone using the KTM GPS mount?

good , bad?
touratech better?

thx
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote